Best Bolt Carrier Group

Captain_coues

Very Active Member
For AR-15s, what is the best make for a bolt carrier group? I’m a lefty, so please recommend one that makes left hand versions. I’m more of a bolt action guy, but an idea hit me. I have two Stag AR rifles in left hand configuration. Both are run of the mill, one is 20” barrel and the other is 16”. I do have a few upgrades on the lowers like Timney Triggers, Grips, Ambi chargers and safety’s, and that magpull thingy that replaces the flat metal below the trigger on the housing. I just purchased a 24” heavy barrel Varminter, 1:8 twist, left handed and could use the bolt carrier I have, but if there’s one out there that is better and offers an improvement upon the original either in accuracy or reliability, I would want to have that. Problem is I don’t know enough and hoping some of you know more about ARs than me.

How about scope mounts for a 30 mm tube and 50 mm objective? Do you think Spuhr or Gissele or another make or model would be better? It seems like the one piece design like those two will be a better set up. I like the Spuhr because of the built in level. Not that a level will make me any better right away, but at least it’s there. They’re pricey for sure so maybe I’m better off with something a little less to start with since this type of arrangement, AR scoped shooting, is new to me. I literally just picked it up and know close to nothing about the stuff out there. There’s a lot to learn even with scope mounting like unusual mounting heights that are not anything like I know about bolt actions and mounting options like cantilever or two piece and other types & I would just like to get it right. Your thoughts are appreciated.

Either of those are nice, but not cheap. Warne and Leupold also make good ones.
Aero Precision makes one for $80 a friend has one in 30mm and it has been solid. Put a dab of blue loctite on the main screws if your not going to take it off. I would not worry about the level at all unless this is a heavy long range build

Do you think a better bolt carrier equals more accuracy? I have a stag Heavy Barrel, really shoots 60 vmax and benchmark powder. Also does good with 77 grain SMK and RL 15.

Do you think a better bolt carrier equals more accuracy? I have a stag Heavy Barrel, really shoots 60 vmax and benchmark powder. Also does good with 77 grain SMK and RL 15.

I don’t know, I just picked up the AR interest. I’ve had AR rifles for 20+ years and respected them like I would a lever or shotgun. Never put as much obsession into them like I did my bolt actions. I would think a better or improved bolt carrier would maybe enhance a little accuracy. I’m starting to see these things can perform better than I gave them credit for. I should have the 24” Stag upper tomorrow and the scope today. I probably will just get a Bolt Carrier Group from Stag since it’s the same brand name as the upper and lowers I have. If it does well, I might get the Rock River Arms heavy barrel upper and play with it.

Its really the coatings as much as machining quality, Nickel boron, NP3 etc. The bolt lockup of course is important. The number one thing about AR reliability is the bolt and carrier. The coatings keep them singing with lots of rounds downrange without frequent cleanings. That's why so many have gone to gas piston guns. I use a HK416 for work, it never gets fouling even close to what a normal AR gets.

Still waiting on the BCG and charging handle. Seems to be taking forever and I’ve ordered items from others since and had them delivered. Thanks Weaver79. I went with the Warne mount and it is going to be just fine and hundreds cheaper than the others.

AD6CAAC8-FA14-4DC6-9F4F-9990042D18DD.jpeg

Who made your BCG and CH?

Sometimes ordering from Palmetto State Armory can save a chunk of money. I've got several trigger groups, BCG, etc. from them. Never a problem.

The BCG is Black Rain Ordinance, and the charging handle is Radian®️ Ambidextrous.

I will probably go there in the future. I got those items from Optics Planet and it looks like they’re using DHL for delivery. I’ve never had a delivery from DHL.

The BCG is Black Rain Ordinance, and the charging handle is Radian®️ Ambidextrous.

I will probably go there in the future. I got those items from Optics Planet and it looks like they’re using DHL for delivery. I’ve never had a delivery from DHL.
Between optics planet and dhl you may see them before the end of the year, maybe.

not better accuracy but more durable and better reliability vs. a cheap BCG.

Another question. What about stocks? I have been looking at the Magpul Gen 3 PRS rear stock and I kind of like it. It has the adjustable cheek riser and length of pull with other features in the buttplate. It seems like a real advantage over what I have now. Are there any other brands out there that would work the same with the same features? When I think of Magpul, I don’t usually think of them as a great maker of furniture. Magazines and small items sure, but the furniture seems like Tupperware or something someone uses to get by. I might have to let that go if some of you comment otherwise.

This is what you want to not make it much heavier, its 10 oz lighter than the Gen 3 PRS. They are good stocks. If you do not need the cheek height raised, the ACS-L is my favorite.

Another question. What about stocks? I have been looking at the Magpul Gen 3 PRS rear stock and I kind of like it. It has the adjustable cheek riser and length of pull with other features in the buttplate. It seems like a real advantage over what I have now. Are there any other brands out there that would work the same with the same features? When I think of Magpul, I don’t usually think of them as a great maker of furniture. Magazines and small items sure, but the furniture seems like Tupperware or something someone uses to get by. I might have to let that go if some of you comment otherwise.
After handling the Magpul PRS I plan to get one for my 50BMG.

For AR-15s, what is the best make for a bolt carrier group? I’m a lefty, so please recommend one that makes left hand versions. I’m more of a bolt action guy, but an idea hit me. I have two Stag AR rifles in left hand configuration. Both are run of the mill, one is 20” barrel and the other is 16”. I do have a few upgrades on the lowers like Timney Triggers, Grips, Ambi chargers and safety’s, and that magpull thingy that replaces the flat metal below the trigger on the housing. I just purchased a 24” heavy barrel Varminter, 1:8 twist, left handed and could use the bolt carrier I have, but if there’s one out there that is better and offers an improvement upon the original either in accuracy or reliability, I would want to have that. Problem is I don’t know enough and hoping some of you know more about ARs than me.
Check out Sons of Liberty gun works. I have one of their BCG’s and it is hands down my favorite. I’ve never had a problem whatsoever, and they have unbelievable customer service.

I ended up getting a new lower for it and parts for another future assembly if this one turns out worth a darn. I thought it would be wise to keep the lower on the original. I added the Timney Calvin Trigger. It’s set at 1 1/2 pounds and has adjustments up the wazu. I’m going to try it out tomorrow with some factory 556. I plan on 69 grain Sierra match and Nosler Custom Competition.

7331FB13-184A-488E-A3C9-8F6E871D68CF.jpeg

Last edited:

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom