Best Boots - Wide Feet

ICMDEER

Very Active Member
OK, I know there's a product section. And maybe this goes better there. But I never look there, so I'm trying here.

I have wide feet and I also have bunions/hammer toes. So my feet no longer fit very well in regular boots. I've been wearing Meindl's for 25+ years. Love those boots, but even the wide ones don't fit any more.

I see some of the boot makers have wide boots, but living where I do, I don't have a chance to try on boots at any of those places.

Here's what I'd like:

- About a 9" top
- A rubber toe cover. I crawl around so much I wear out the ones without rubber over the front of the toes real quickly.
- A stiff sole that will allow me to carry out a quarter of an elk in my pack without it feeling spongy.
- Some insulation.
- Gore Tex or the equivalent.
- Priced as reasonably as one could expect.

I have some Merrell's that I wear for the warm season. and I have some Keen's, too. The Merrell's don't seem to hold up well. Comfy but not real stout. I go through a pair every year because of the light footbed. Meindl boots last me several years. Don't yet know about Keen boots, but they don't seem to be as well made as the Meindls.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks for your help.

LAST EDITED ON Feb-12-19 AT 11:27AM (MST)[p]I'm not a huge fan of them personally but the kenetrek mountain extremes would probably fit well. Extremely comfy boot I just couldn't get them to hold up for more than one season before the toe and rubber seams fell apart. I know other guys that have better luck than me, but I'm down right hard on gear.
Not sure how they fit as far as wide feet zamberlan, crispi and la sportivas have been my go to?s the past 4 years. I wear la sportivas dang near everyday to work.
Coloradoboy

Don?t go with the Kenetrek?s. They don't come very wide. I have a double E or triple E widith. I sent them back a couple of times and had their cobblers work on them. They did get better but still tight. I have a pair of Cabelas in 4 E and they are to wide. Ordered them threw the mail. It's best to buy shoes in person.

I can relate IMC.
Super wide short feet. The podiatrist took one look and said I have "hobbit" feet!
Like you I went with wide Meindl's for a while but they even got uncomfortable for me.
My latest are Zamberlains, which seem to work better, but I actually hired Lathrop and Sons to map my feet and stretch the boots to fit. Then I also went with their jel insole. That's a pricey process, but if your feet always hurt, you aren't worth much on a mountain.

Feet are like fingerprints. Everyone is different, so like BJ said, you may need to go to several stores and try on everything they have. Or you can fork out some $ and do what I did. Good after market insoles seem to make a difference for me. Best of luck in finding what you are looking for.

Have you thought about the Lowa Tibet? They have everything listed but rubber toe. They make everything in wide sizes and I have never found a boot that fit better out of the box. Boots are tough, as every foot is different.

Good Luck.

If you find some that work well for wide feet, let me know. My only recommendation is that whatever brand/model you select, be sure to find a store where you can try several good boots on. That's not very easy to do, as few places stock a decent variety of high-end brands. I too have wide feet, and own 4 pairs of Lowa including 2 pairs of Tibets in 11 wide. They work, but they're honestly still not quite wide enough across the toe box.

Thanks guys. It's a dilemma. Maybe we should start making boots. Sounds like there's demand for wider boots. I can almost make them fit when I have on really light socks, but if I'm doing a lot of hiking, I like to wear liner socks with a decent pair of socks outside them.

I'll do some checking. I live 100+ miles from anything like a Sportsmans or Cabelas and don't go to those places much.

But I sure agree that trying boots on saves a lot of heartache and money in the long run.

I Need 5 EEEEE's!

Keep us posted on what you find!

I know so many people in so many places
They make allot of money but they got sad faces

It Ain't Easy being Me!:D:D:D

I think Littlebighorn has the right idea. Lathrop and sons but I want to drive there and get fitted. I just haven't found the time or driven anywhere close to them yet.

I also have very wide, short feet. I have had the best luck with Zamberlans. Crispi wide isn't that wide, maybe 2E. Kenetrek is maybe 3E at best. I've also done the Lanthrop custom stretch route, worked out great once and on another pair they ruined them trying to get the width I need. Too pricey at a 50% success level. The Lowa's are pretty good, but often too stiff for "normal" (non-sheep) hunts.

It is a crap shoot. For now, I have too pairs of Zamberlans I love. Who knows if they will still make them when these wear out.

Bill

I have some foot issues and prefer a wider toe box in boots. I have tried most of them. The last couple of pairs I have liked the most were Kenetrecks. I have both the insulated mountain extremes and also an uninsulated pair. They usually stretch a bit and for me become more comfortable after a few miles and trips. The only option better would be to have a custom pair of Lathrop and Sons made. Hope you find a good match.

I think Kenetreks are made narrow. But I have narrow feet so that works well for me. The size D Kenetreks I have are a lot narrower than the size D Meindals I have.

I'm gonna hang tough until I get to a place where I can try on a few. Might be a while, but I'd rather have a feel for what I'm doing than send a bunch of boots back because they don't fit well.

Sure appreciate all of the help.

I join the wide-boot club as well!

I use a variety of boots...each for a different type of terrain, weather, etc. I'm pretty sure all the Lowas come in wide. I used Scarpas for several years but they don't seem to have as wide of a toe box as Lowas.

I have a pair of Lowa Tibets that are super wide and comfortable (with new insoles). They are a bit tall and heavy. The only time I use them is in deep snow. If you like a little heavier boot with lots of ankle support they would likely work great.

I currently use and abuse a pair of Lowa Vantage at work each day. Once they wear out I'll put a pair of Lowa Caninos to the test. Both the Vantage and Caninos are mid height/weight hikers....which I tend to lean towards. They aren't quite as stiff and heavy as the Tibets but still offer a bit of ankle support and good soles for hiking on rock all day. I've used a pair of Lowa Renegades. They were super light and comfortable but didn't last tough conditions like the other Lowas mentioned. Renegades would be a good boot for stalking quietly since they are so light....but don't have much stiffness for super steep side hill hiking.

I tried a pair of Kenetreks?.and returned them after one day. I spend a lot of time on steep terrain/rocks and felt like I was on stilts! I would also find it next to impossible stalking quietly with the thick soles and tall heals.

A great boot that is super wide I use in deep snow are sorels.

I'm giving serious consideration to a custom pair from Lathrop & Sons. Soloman Quest 4D fit me pretty good, but not enough support for a heavy pack.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom