Best Colorado legal bullet for a T/C Encore?

RidgeRebel

Hey fellas,
I am looking for recommendations for a Colorado legal bullet for my T/C Encore. I have shot the Hornady FPB in the past, but they were not very accurate in my rifle. My rifle has the false muzzle to "assist with loading, but I think it hurts accuracy with bore size bullets. Anybody have a good recommendation for decent bore size bullet to shoot elk with?

Thanks
Bob

LAST EDITED ON May-24-17 AT 05:47PM (MST)[p]How much of which powder did you use for the FPBs and what was your accuracy?

My elk load is 90 gr of BH 209 and the 350 gr FPB in my Omega. Many people push them too hard with too much powder and it lowers accuracy

Doesn't sound like a full bore conical would be a good choice, so you have very limited choices.

1) Thor
2) FPB
3) Powerbelt.

Some people say they have successfully used a MMP sub base under a conical to create a rear bell to conteract the QLA affects. Like this:
http://mmpsabots.com/store/50-cal-bbsb-ballistic-bridge-sub-base/

When I used powerbelts, I used the 405 gr aerotip. That soft lead needs a bigger bullet in my opinion. Although many have used the 338 platinum successfully. Don't be fooled by the "platinum" name though. That is simply a thin layer over a soft lead bullet and does nothing to make the bullet tougher. The reason it is "tougher" is that it has a smaller hollowpoint at the tip and therefore holds together a little better.

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

I used 100 grains of BH209. Accuracy was about 6 inch groups at 100 yards. I did shoot a deer with them at about 40 yards and I was impressed with the bullet performance. I will try to lower the charge a bit. Thanks guys

The best thing iv tried with the qla guns that iv had problems with was a stack of over powder wads between powder and bullet then a 460 grain no excuses conical. My theory is the bullet is out of the qla before the gasses reach the qla.

Would having the QLA part of the barrel removed be a consideration for you?

Those that have reported on it after doing it have found improved performance with full bore projectiles and it doesn't seem to affect anything if using sabots.

I'd look at Federal B.O.R. Lock MZ in either Copper or lead. Excellent bullet with good accuracy.

Parker also makes a good Colorado legal bullet.

I would stay away from Power Belt. They have a low B.C. and not as accurate as many others.

I have found 80 grains of BH209 by weight to be a good load for accuracy and velocity.

aythya, wonder what 90 grains by VOLUME of BH 209 powder would be by WEIGHT? I use 90 grains of BH 209 powder by volume in my CVA Accura V2 and the Federal B.O.R. bullet 270 grain copper bullet.

The CVA's don't have QLA, do they?

My original Accura shot/shoots the 338 platinum very well. 95 grains was the most accurate after shooting 80grains through 110 grains. I settled on 100 grains since the difference in accuracy between 95 and 100 was very minimal. But 105 grains was very noticeable as the groups grew from 1.5 inches at 100 yards to over 3".

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom