BEST ELK APPLY FOR NONRES

trophyfever

HI, ANY SUGGESTIONS FOR APPLYING THIS YEAR WITH MY 18 YEARS AS NONRES FOR BULL ELK...ARCHERY OR RIFLE??
HAVENT HUNTED COLORADO FOR SEVERAL YEARS. MAINY OVER COUNTER DURANGO AREA. ALSOHAVE 20 YEARS FOR DEER BUT NEVER HUNTED DEER YET.
HEALTH BETTER NOW SO GOING TO GET SERIOUS FOR THIS YEAR IF I CAN GET DRAWN.

HAVE HUNTING EXPERIENCE . THANKYOU

How many points do you have for elk & or deer ? For elk, unit 61 is very popular, but need the points. Units 66 & 67 for deer, same situation, plus unit 55 deer another good one. I have not hunted these units yet, only been a resident 4 years & going on my research. But I do have a decent number of points already from past years.
Wish I could assist more ! Jerry Gold in Ft Collins, Co ?

thanks for feedback. anxious to get in the backcountry again.love hunting elk and big bucks.
for Colorado- 18 pts for elk, 20 pts for deer.
just donated my Roosevelt elk to the Mission Viejo,Ca elks lodge.
Colorado and Arizona favorites, but someday maybe Nevada,
TROPHY FEVER, LAGUNA HILLS,CA

you might have chance unit 76 elk , "rifle" but you could be dealing with higher elevation . Me personally anything over 11000 is my limit, but its one of most scenic areas i've been . If you go guided not an issue, good luck with your decision

Unit 44 deer 4th season. I used to live in the area and there are some brutes that come down from the high country when weather gets cold. You'll only be hunting somewhere between 6,000 and 8,000 feet.

Is it just me, or does it seem like someone who has been applying this kind of money for 20 years should have a good idea what he is after at this point? Also, 20 years for deer? I think some hunters like the idea of hunting more than hunting. I could of killed 2 200" bucks by now and still have enough points to be after my third ;-)

thanks again for taking time respond. heard 76 elk wilderness hunt,need horses, guide and altitude too much for me. got bull 15 yrs ago on lone cone,11,200 ft--never again.
unit 49 interesting-looked toprut, archery and first rifle possible.lots of public land.
unit 44, check out too.
know my points look little crazy but survived 7 cancers last 12 years so now want to put points to work. did over counter elk near Durango 8 ys ago-snowed out third season. working and health dramatically affects us all but got points only in colo,az,nev,utah,ca.
we are hunkered down here in orange county calif-all take care!

thanks again for taking time respond. heard 76 elk wilderness hunt,need horses, guide and altitude too much for me. got bull 15 yrs ago on lone cone,11,200 ft--never again.
unit 49 interesting-looked toprut, archery and first rifle possible.lots of public land.
unit 44, check out too.
know my points look little crazy but survived 7 cancers last 12 years so now want to put points to work. did over counter elk near Durango 8 ys ago-snowed out third season. working and health dramatically affects us all but got points only in colo,az,nev,utah,ca.
we are hunkered down here in orange county calif-all take care!
There are some elk lower in Unit 49, but that is still at 10,000 feet, most of the elk are up higher...up to 13,000 feet in places. I think you should be looking at Unit 61 versus 49 or 76 because of the altitude, but you are a few years out from a 2nd, 3rd or 4th season bull tag (all of those come out of the same group of tags and take the same number of points...the hunter gets to choose which unit).
Your only other option that I am seeing is really Unit 40, but will have to hunt around private (4th could actually be better than 2nd). Colorado is tough in that point bracket, just not enough limited entry units to spread people out. Good luck!

Last edited:
where are you from? i'm Bozeman, Montana boy at74 yrs. no mental or physical handicap at the moment. not a road hunter but not stupid either. heard 40 has great bucks but mostly on private land. not ready to hire guide at the moment. Colorado deadline creeping up so gotta get serious.

Unit 44 deer 4th season. I used to live in the area and there are some brutes that come down from the high country when weather gets cold. You'll only be hunting somewhere between 6,000 and 8,000 feet.
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but I don’t think 20 nonresident points is going to get a 44 fourth or third season tag. Probably won’t get 66 fourth either maybe 66 third.

Sad to say it but you’re up the creek with a little paddle with 18 non resident elk points if you don’t want to hunt the wilderness/high country of 49 or 76. Your best hunt options honestly would be going guided in unit 20 or 40. You’re behind the ball in 61 with 18. As far as deer goes, with your physical condition I would hunt 21 3rd season. It’s not the hunt it used to be but it is a very easy hunt as far as being able to access everything via road. You will see good numbers of deer and a 170 inch deer is a realistic expectation with a chance of finding something better. 66 third is something else you could draw along with 55 or 68 fourth.

Is it just me, or does it seem like someone who has been applying this kind of money for 20 years should have a good idea what he is after at this point? Also, 20 years for deer? I think some hunters like the idea of hunting more than hunting. I could of killed 2 200" bucks by now and still have enough points to be after my third ;-)
Lots of people just collect points in several States without looking. I have max WY deer points and haven't the faintest idea where I will use them at. I do one out of State hunt a year. Last year I went to Newfoundland for Moose. I am hunting CO deer this year. Next year I might look at using the WY deer points.

76 is generally a physically challenging area although there are parts that aren't too bad but that's the exception. I did it solo for 2 weeks without a break at 63 yrs. young and it was fun but very challenging. I've heard Frazier Outfitters are good which would be best to talk to them about level of difficulty if you'd consider an outfitter.

I'd quit tempting fate and use your points sir. Plenty of good hunts out there trophyfever. Stay healthy, God bless ya and good luck.

HI you all. thanks so much for all your suggestions. been looking at stats.they make you dizzy and discouraged but can't win if don't apply. thinking 61,66, 44, 49, archery, rifle diff seasons.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom