Best Hiking Boots

W

WiNtErKiLLNV

Just wanted to see what people are wearing, and whats the best?

I have my eyes on a a pair of Danner 8" Prognhorn GTX Uninsulated boots for hunting in Nevada during October.

Who do you feel has the best all around hiking boots?

Speak softly and carry a Big Stick; you will; go far. Heath

I've had the best luck with Vasque and Danner also bought a pair of Cabelas brand boots but all they caused was pain.

Any input into something like Schnees? Can't find an ad right now but considering a one time purchase of good boots also. I think there was another semi custom maker also.

LAST EDITED ON Aug-29-04 AT 09:37PM (MST)[p]Danner or Meindl, both have done my feet very well over the years.

I also have a pair of Browning boots. they are the most comfortable boots i have ever worn. they are a lil bit to big for me but other than that they are awesome. I had a pair if Itasca's not long ago and went on a backpacking trip with a class here at NAU, we hiked +55- miles in 5 days. by the time that i got home, i had 2 fifty cent piece size blisters on my feet and those things caused me pain for weeks. but the best thing about the Brownings is the price, they were free, dad won them at work! he got himself a pair of Kangroos; for free also
casey

I have a pair of Gore Tex Irish Setters.I wore them all last season and never came home with wet or sore feet once.When these ones are done there will be another pair replacing them!

I just picked up a pair of Danner Pronghorns a few weeks ago and love them. They are so light weight that you almost feel like you are wearing tennis shoes, yet they give you great support and stability. Go with them, you'll be glad you did.

Howdy,

A few years back I ordered five different pair of hikers from Cabelas at the same time. The idea was to test them, and send back four pair. I ordered Danners, Rockys, Cabelas brand (I had had good luck with them before), Wolverine, and Meindls. I tested all five pair for two weeks.. WITH CABELAS PERMISSION!!!
I sent all five pair back, and ordered the next larger size Meindls. I installed a Dr. Scholls Sportsman insole. They are absolutely the best boots I have ever put on my feet! My experience.

Coach

LAST EDITED ON Aug-30-04 AT 11:59AM (MST)[p]Did you have problem with the Meindl soles coming unglued and falling off at the toe? I saw a pair with that problem.. Now Iknow Meindl makes some awesome hunting boots, but some of them do have problems.. cuidado.

Jamiester

I suppose it depends on what kind of hiking you are doing. I bought Limmer boots 20 years ago and still use them (not like I put lots of miles on them every year). These are heavy boots designed to protect your feet in rough, rocky footing while carrying a heavy load on your back. For lighter duty I would prefer something lighter and am thinking about some of those Irish Setter boots an earlier poster cited. A link to the Limmer boots follows. These are not inexpensive boots.

http://www.limmerboot.com/home.html

My boot which I recommend for the heavy duty application discussed above is the "standard."

Danner's all the way. I bought a pair about two years ago and they are still very comfortable. I put about 8 miles a week on them during the summer and 5-6 during the trapping season and I still love 'em, plus they show very little wear. I think I'll have them another 2 years atleast.

I prefer the meidels although it seemed like they took a long time to break in. Once you do that I think they are hard to beat

>Just wanted to see what people
>are wearing, and whats the
>best?
>
>I have my eyes on a
>a pair of Danner 8"
>Prognhorn GTX Uninsulated boots
>for hunting in Nevada during
>October.
>
>Who do you feel has the
>best all around hiking boots?
>
>
>
>
I have a pair of those Pronghorn uninsulated bootes and they are very light and comfortable as well as waterproof. I love them when there isn't any snow on the ground to warrant insulation. When there is I use Wolverine durashocks they are very nice as well.

I've had Rockies, Brownings Irish Setter over the last 30 years. Rockies and Brownings stitching ripped out the 1st year or 2. I've had 3 pairs of Danners and never did get a pair to feet my feet, but I've got strange feet. 4 years ago I got a pair of Meindls's through Cabela's. Absolutely the best boot I've ever had and still using. There are several models and I got the uninsulated Sitkas. I've used these in 5 degree weather with a heavy weight polyester wicking sock hunting pheasants and never been cold. There are several models of insulated also.

from the "Heartland of Wyoming"

I feel Vasque is superior to all others. They have an incredible range of Sizes too. When it comes to hiking most people get to light of a boot. Get a stiffer boot that will protect your ankles. I use the vasque Alpine GTX. It's a mid-weight mountaineering boot, but once I finally got them broken in I use them for everything. I'd rather carry 5 extra ounces on each foot then to hobble out with a glorified high top tennis shoe with a busted ankle.
Remember a good hiking boot needs to be stiff to protect your ankles. One piece seamless leather is the only way to go. Stay away from synthetic materials or boots with seams. the more seams the less stiff the boot will be.
Hiking boots are always cheaper after hiking season. Look for discounts in the winter for the previous years model.

Timberman

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom