Best Hooded Down Jacket

Deepcolor

As the title says, I am searching for the best value in a down jacket to be worn during September highcountry hunting. I have looked at the big players in the camo mfg. and a lot of backpacking/outdoor suppliers. I have found a few jackets that seem to fill the need but am wondering what you guys use and what to stay away from.

September- Mid October to be used during early morning glassing at 9000'. I am not sure if camo is really needed for this activity but am not opposed to it either. (Don't want to limit myself and miss a good product)
I also feel a hood is necessary.

Your thoughts?

In a layer system or as outerwear?

I don't like hoods but you can get a Kuiu down jacket with or without and they're great. but I wouldn't call it an outer layer it's too easy to tear . it's an insulation layer, wear it under a light waterproof jacket and you're good to go. take it off and it fits in a pocket if you don't need it.

It took me a while to come around I always wanted a do it all coat but now I'm sold on layering.

Stay Thirsty My Friends

LAST EDITED ON May-25-16 AT 00:55AM (MST)[p]Not a fan of the Kuiu down. Immediately had problems (small tears) with it and sent it back. Also feel they go a little cheap with the down feathers and I really think they are cheaply made in general. It's the only product from the Kuiu line that I don't like. I do love their guide jacket!

I am a fan of the Core 4 element down jacket but I'm not sure if they make them hooded.

LAST EDITED ON May-27-16 AT 02:27PM (MST)[p]Sucks doesn't it?

Are you stuck on down, or are you just interested in a "puffy" jacket?
If you limit yourself to down, it gets really hard.

The worst part is that there is very little variety in warmth out there.

Sitka has several jackets. Only one fits your criteria.

Its the Kelvin down hoody, and its going to be too warm most of the time.

The Kelvin light hoody (not down, primaloft) 3 oz. would be a good option if you don't have to have down.

The kelvin down ultralight (no hood) 3 oz. Would be decent warmth for those conditions, but has no hood. So you would have to sacrifice that. Plus, its a down synthetic mix.

Kelvin Down hoody 8 oz. 70% down, 30 % synthetic, hooded, but this is a warm jacket.
It has more than twice the insulation of the kelvin light hoody.

If you give up the down, and give up full frontal zip for half zip, the Kifaru lost park parka is a nice option.

Kuiu is popular, Super down hoody. The big beef with it is that may not be warm enough. I think its like 2.5 oz of insulation. Its light, packable and has the hood. Plus its cheap.

Non down insulation like first lite uncomahgre puffy would fit the bill if you give up the down for synthetic.

I would bet that your best bet in the hunting gear line would be the kryptek aquillo down jacket.
4 oz down insulation, and is hooded. You can get it in many color variations as well.
Its not very expensive.

If you leave the hunting brands you will find a larger range.

Rab makes a microlight alpine jacket with 5 oz of down, like $270

I am a big montane fan. They make a 5 oz down jacket.
Montane feather lite down jacket. Its hooded comes in several colors, I assume black or grey would be the ones you would be interested in.

Mountain hardwear nitrous hooded down jacket would be another.

Arcteryx and marmot will also have several choices.

Everybody has a different comfort range.
You might want more insulation.

I have several sitka kelvin jackets, and I also muzzleloader hunt in mid sept above 8000 ft every year. The 8 oz kelvin down hoody is too much for me. I use either my kelvin lite, or the kelvin down ultralight.

I have a first lite that I really think is would work well for you, if you are not stuck on down being the insulation.

I like the kryptek aquillo.
I also use a hoodless, sleeveless jacket from them. The kratos II.
Its synthetic, but if you get into unusual cold, I have just put the kratos on, then put the aquillo on over it. That is very warm.

I wear the sitka kelvin down hoody in november.
We muzzleloader elk hunt in November around 9000 ft.
I tried the kuiu super down in these conditions. Stupid. Just plain stupid. 2.5 oz of down is not enough to keep you warm in that kind of cold.
You will shiver and shake for hours.
The sitka kelvin down hoody is the right tool for that job.

But the kuiu is a fine september jacket. May not be warm enough for your elevation though. Depends on temperatures.
I would lean toward a 4 - 5 oz insulated jacket over the 2.5 oz jacket for mid october at those elevations.

If you get cold, go with more insulation.
If you circulate well, look at the montane and the kryptek.

LAST EDITED ON May-28-16 AT 08:49PM (MST)[p]Hey Shed, thanks for the detailed post. I never would have looked at the Kryptek jacket without your info. Pretty sure that will be the jacket I purchase.

Hi Deepcolor

I have tried the down jackets of several companies me. While I enjoy and use most Kuiu gear, their down jacket is not good! Disappointed in that purchase.

The best down jacket I have was one I found one sale at a fishing store, so Inpucket it up. It's a Columbia, and it has been the best down jacket I own. Super light, incredibly warm, and can even handle a little weather, and a hike through the brush without being ripped up.

I prefer down jackets without hoods, but they do sell the with hoods from Columbia. Maybe worth checking out

LAST EDITED ON Feb-03-17 AT 06:53AM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Feb-03-17 AT 06:51?AM (MST)

LAST EDITED ON Feb-03-17 AT 06:48?AM (MST)

LAST EDITED ON Feb-03-17 AT 06:41?AM (MST)

Have a Cabellas Outfitter Down Parka I've never been cold in,mainly winter wear, an even warmer one I can wear inside my waterfowl parka.
That's Oct on stuff in NM.

That said I found a good down sweater at a used/consignment store that fits under most of my shells.Brown,simple,warm,light.Used it in Sierra high country a lot. But useless if it gets wet.Packs into very small h2o proof sack or plastic bag. Old Eddie Bauer,$2.

I tend to go with thicker berber windproof fleece as insulation layer during fall conditions or wool now in NM.
Biggest underestimation made by folks in NM is how quick you can get hypothermia after a monsoon in Sept.

Fleece balclavas are my friends now too_One Cabellas thick & one Kings thinner. Weigh nothing and always in my packs or a pocket.Fits right over cap too for sun.

Check out these consignment stores folks.Lotsa gals take high quality stuff hubby left in the closet ......

I'm excited to see the new Super Down Pro that is in pre-order from Kuiu on the giru.com site. I've got one coming so I'll let you know how it is.

Grizzly

First Lite Uncompahgre puffy. Love mine Colo sheep goat season. Wore it in the mornings 4th.. And unlike Sitka the sleeves are long enough!

I picked up nice coat on a non hunting website "Cirq" was the brand name, it's camo with a hood for less than $80.

This may be the best breakdown I have ever read. Thank you for the time spent and even for breaking the Sitka line down further.

I love my RAB jacket. Got it on sale and one of the best purchasesI have ever made. Just wish I had bought the hooded model.

I know this thread is a bit old, but thought I would add my 0.02 since I used this info to purchase a hunting down jacket.

I have ran Mountain Hardwear, KUIU Super Down, Adidas and now Kryptek Aquillo.

I use the adidas mainly for work or around town, but is surprisingly a decent down jacket that I picked up for cheap. The MTN Hardwear is simply a beast, but keeps me very warm. My spouse has a newer thinner one that she loves.

I have used the KUIU for 3 years and done a ton of hunting, hiking, glassing, etc in it. Its a decent down, but I don't like the material and to be honest, it is terrible at breathing and ends up wet on my back.

This year, I picked up the Kryptek Aquillo hooded and sold my KUIU. Its a heck of a nice down jacket, the down isn't lumpy like the KUIU and the outer material is very nice. I also have noticed, it does breathe a lot better and I haven't had a wet back every time I take it out on a hike. I would highly recommend this jacket, as others have said. Just my 0.02 and my experiences.

I do appreciate this post, it helped me upgrade to a better product. I do still love my KUIU DCS guide jacket, but that's another topic.

>First Lite Uncompahgre puffy.
>Love mine Colo sheep
>goat season. Wore
>it in the mornings 4th..
> And unlike Sitka the
>sleeves are long enough!

+1

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom