BEST HUNT WITH HORSES

cqh1

Which mule deer areas will provide the following?
1. Pack in camp with horses.
2. Low hunting pressure.
3. Chance at 160"+ buck.
I have narrowed it down to the Jarbidge (72), Schell Creek Range (111), Rubies (102,103) and Santa Rosa Range (51).
From what I've read, unit 6 has better bucks but roads everywhere. Are there any areas where horses would be beneficial in area 6?
Also, are there any access points on the west side of the Rubies other than Lamoille canyon and where the highway enters the national forest on the south of the range? Or must a trespass fee be paid to access the canyons on the west side?
Thanks,
cqh1

I sure wish I could take my saddle horses, and pack horses and pack in where ever I wanted in your state. I'm not trying to bag on Wyoming or you I just wish I had that right. Jarbidge for horses would be the way to go with your choices. A good place to access alot of country is from camp creek. Not alot of people, and some pretty good buck's. You can actually go from camp creek and ride all the way to Jarbidge, just need someone to take your rigs and leave them in Jarbidge for you. Good Luck!

Marco

I don't think horses would be a huge benefit in 051, the wilderness area is not that big and too steep/rocky. I second jarbidge.

cqh1
I've hunted and rode in the Jabridge wilderness a number of times and guided in the Ruby's for ten years. If you'd like to give me a call I'd be more then happy to help you out. It would be easier to talk then to spend all night typing. You can reach me at 801-550-4973
Wes

Just as a casual observer in the Ruby's over the past 15 years, there is a ton of hunters using horses. I see more and more each year that I draw. One area that I use to hunt had more horseback hunters than backpack hunters. They make nice trails to follow up!!! (I'm one of the backpack hunter.)

Thanks for all of the input. Anybody know if a pack-in hunt is doable in the Schells? Is there any grass and water or will feed need to be packed in? It seems to be the consensus that the Jarbidge would be the best for a horse camp but the outfitters that hunt around Ely do have better bucks on their web sites. And the Rubies seem to have some great bucks.... I think I will know more after I take a longer trip through these areas this summer.

Wes, I sent you a pm.

cqh1

guess I can pipe in here since I grew up in Nevada, Iv'e spoken with people that have used horses to hunt Mt Moriah in the snake range, they said they weren't alone, but there are some large bucks in that country, also there is some nice wilderness backcountry in the Monitor, Toiyabe,and Toquima ranges in central Nevada.

If you have enough points to draw it, go with Ely first. Bucks are larger. Also, don't forget unit 231!!!! I don't remember seeing any horseback hunters there when I hunted it back in the late 90's.

There's also good access from the east into Jarbidge from the campground by Pole Creek Ranger Station. You might see one other pack string but its big enough country. There are some big bucks in area 7 generally but alot have crab claw genetics.

Thought about area 222? Since Mt. Grafton was made wilderness it might be a good place to pack into even though its pretty small compared to Jarbidge or the Ruby's. One of the best areas for trophy potential.

Oakbuck

I would say that 111-114 is your best bet. I go down there every year and with I had some horses!

("For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast. Ephesians 2:8-9")

Nevada Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Big Bucks & Bulls Timberline Outfitters Guide Service

Customized and high quality eastern Nevada trophy hunts for mule deer, elk and antelope.

Western Wildlife Adventures

We offer some excellent mule deer and elk hunts in northeast Nevada.

Currant Creek Outfitters

Nevada, big bucks and big bulls! We hunt for quality not quantity.

Nevada Outfitters & Guides Association

Find guides and outfitters for mule deer, elk, sheep, chuckar, fishing, & more!

SilverGrand Outfitters

Successfully guiding in Nevada for many years. Mule deer, elk, antelope and bighorn sheep hunts.

Hidden Lake Outfitters

Specializing in trophy mule deer hunts along with elk, mountain goat, antelope and mountain lion.

G&J Outdoors

Full time outfitter with 20+ years hunting mule deer, sheep, elk, antelope, lion and chukar.

Mountain Man Outfitters

Offering world class mule deer hunts in some of the most productive units in Nevada.

Nevada High Desert Outfitters

Rocky mountain goats, desert, rocky and california bighorn, mule deer, antelope and elk hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

If you want an unguided hunt but can't draw your tags, you need to call us.

White River Guide Service

50 years of guiding experience! Mule deer, elk, sheep and cougar.

Back
Top Bottom