Best Hunting Pack - Eberlestock?

T

TFinalshot

Have any of you guys used the Eberlestock Just-One pack? It can be viewed at www.eberlestock.com. It looks like a great pack! I'm interested in your oppinions of the pack.

Thanks, Finalshot

I haven't used one, just looked 'em over real close. They look like a p.o.s. compared to Badlands packs. Nothing comes close to badlands in my opinion. As far as comfort, engineering, warranty, usability and quality go nothing comes close to badlands.

I was just cruising through the forum and checked out what was being said, and couldn't let that last line go by without correcting the bomb. Eberlestock has a no questions asked lifetime warranty, uses only premium zippers, buckles, and fabrics. In fact, a closer look at the latest generation packs will show you a triple layer fabric system that's quiet on the outside, waterproof/scentproof, and reinforced with ripstop cordura and bar tacking. Eberlestock is the only pack made that was built from the ground up to be a hunting pack, and looking at the features should make that obvious. If you read the feedback page on their website, you'll see that several notable hunters say that the Just One is the most comfortable pack they've ever worn. It may not have an inection molded back panel, but frankly, the hand sewn, intelligently crafted pad panels on the Eberlestock packs are designed for comfort, ventilation and support first, and catchy looks second. I'll leave it to you to decide if a molded product is really going to be more comfortable. Regarding engineering and usability, the Just One is the most complex pack on the market, but is very easy and intuitive to use; that sets a pretty high standard for engineering. So, actually, something does come close to the brand you mentioned, and may even have 'em beat.

Cheers,
craven4hunting

Craven,

I have a GREAT idea, send me one and I'll test it out for the MM crowd. LOL

Drummond

I have to agree mostly with Craven

While I have not looked at the badlands, there is nothing in the eberle that I don't like. I like that you can keep adding to it, in waterproof packs.

I've read some of the commments and though I believe the makers feel it will hold a moose quarter, I defer to a lifelong Alaska guide on that one. Being that what I know, a quarter is about 270 pounds on average, I can't pack the whole thing at once anyway.

To me its a bit pricey BUT, having spent up to 100 on other packs that don't expand enough to take a tent, bag, pad, water etc on the way to a spike camp, the money was wasted. And you can get the rain cover to help the waterproof pack. And then it compacts to a daypack size.

Its gonna be my next purchase. But I'm saving for at least one Wiggys sleeping back setup first.

Oh yeah, about the injection molded backs. Injection molded to fit whom? I think that could be just the ticket for supreme comfort IF they were molded to your back. Rather than that good padding in a generally right area should fit me, my wife, you etc...

Jeff

another pack to consider is nimrod.they do have a web address although I'm not sure what it is.Just search nirod packs. I have used mine for just one season now and think it is the best pack I have used to date. I also have a badlands pack and think the Nimrod pack is far and above better then the badland.the nimrod pack is also very pricey but you will certently be pleased. Just my 2cents good luck!!

MrBaitnFish, you have a strong opinion about the pack. What about it makes it a p.o.s? Just curious. You must have owned one or have used one to come to that conclusion? Could you be more specific about what makes if a p.o.s?

I've tried the badlands and think they are a great product but you can't put your boned-out deer in it for the haul out to camp or to the rig. Therefore, to me it's an expensive day-pack. If I used it and killed something 4 or 5 miles from the road, I would have to go all the way back to the rig and get my pack frame. The badlands makes a great day pack, but it looks to me like the Eberlestock is made as a day pack that is capable of expanding to allow you to carry say a boned-out deer or hind elk quarter. It also looks like it has a very ingenious scabbard, can you comment on the usefulness of the scabbard?

Thanks for your insight.

Finalshot

In the next few years I'll be dropping some bucks on good equipment to last the rest of my hunting years(hopefully) Therefore I'm looking everywhere I can at every aspect.

Eberlestock looks like the best all around pack at the moment. I did have a basspro pack last fall in Alaska and thankfully it opened way up to allow me to put half my caribou in it. It worked out really great for no external frame though its not quite as large as I can use for taking a tent etc... out. And from the looks of it, I doubt it could handle more than a few trips to Alaska.

But give me a link to badlands. If they are what Google popped up by north face, I'll pass due to north face quality.

About to google for Nimrod just to see there too.

Jeff

Rost,

I noticed you mentioned a Wiggy's sleeping bag. I've had one for several years and I'm not sure I would recomend it. It is supposed to be rated to zero but it has cold spots. It weighs a lot and does not pack as small as other brands I've seen. I even took it down to Jerry Wigetoe SP, owner and maker of Wiggy's here in Grand Junction and complained about the cold spots. He opened it up and tried to explain why the spots that didn't have as much insulation were not cold spots. They still feel cold to me.

cheers,

BeanMan

Just found both Nimrod and Badlands.

both look like good packs but only as daypack type packs. Though the Badlands advertises packing capabilitys, it certainly doesn't look like it can handle the load the Eberle can. I don't doubt the Badlands is a good pack for what its designed for though.

Just not what I'm personally after. Like the poster said(can't recall which one of ya'll right now) I can use it but I'd have to go back to the truck to get a good frame to get the meat out and that sorta defeats the purpose of trying to get a good all around pack.

Good night, Jeff

Last year I looked at the Eberlestock ('03 model) pack pretty hard. It was well made and had a great design and seemed comfortable to wear.

The one thing I didn't like, and eventually made me decide not to purchase it, was the velcro. There was a "sheet," for lack of a better word, of velcro between the padding and the pack compartments. When I loaded the pack, put it on and moved around, the noise of the velcro really bugged me. This may not be the same on the '04 model, and maybe the noise would have eventually stopped, but I passed.

I ended up getting the Badlands 2200 ('04 model) and have been very happy with it. I didn't get the chance to pack out a deer with it this year, but I really think the 2200 could haul a boned out deer.

Both the Badlands and the Eberlestock had two aluminum stays for the frame and the compression straps would be similar to hold a larger central load. I plan on trying it with the Badlands when I get a chance.

Anyway, just my 2 cents. Later...

JT

The '04 model is the same basic design as the '03 that you liked, but is a complete re-work in materials and construction. The velcro, which I didn't like either, is gone. Plus about a zillion other little details were tweaked up.

You mentioned the aluminum stays; here's a cool fact: In the Eberlestock, the stays are buffered from your load - say, an elk quarter - by the scabbard and the water bladder compartments. So, unlike any other pack made, you can stick a hundred pounds into it, and the stays aren't squashed flat. They still have a nice contour, which means the pack stays comfortable.

Adios boys,
Craven

T-Shot, I don't know what badlands you used, maybe the superday. The 2200 and the 2800 are both designed to pack meat. They work differently though. The 2800 is a split pack and will hold as much as anyone can carry. We packed out three caribou using badlands packs last month. The 2800 easily carried a front and hindquarter along with gear in the pack. It will carry as much as a packframe. They also are designed with places to pack rifle/spotting scopes etc., I didn't say the eberlestock was a p.o.s., I said it looked like a p.o.s. there's a difference. I have used most of the badlands packs. I am a badlands dealer so I have a biased opinion, whatever that's worth. I do know at the hunting expos I outsell eberlestock at least 5 to 1, and probably closer to 10 to 1, but then again I have the best prices on badlands so that helps too.

Baitfish let me see if I understand you, you said the Eberlestock looks like a p.o.s but you have not used one and there's a difference between saying it looks like a p.o.s and saying it is a p.o.s. I get it.

You are a dealer of what could be considerd by some a competing product (badlands) even thought its really a day pack as most anyone will attest, or a mountaineering pack (the 4500) but not both. Eberlestock looks like it could haul your gear and the meat out at once - (I understand that hauling weight is personal decision and mostly based on one's ability to actually carry the weight). I'm not even sure it fair to compare untill badlands comes out with a pack that can do both and carry a rifle that you can access all at once.

I've actually used the super-day and the 2800, (never even seen a 4500) badlands and as my previous post clearly points out I believe badlands are a great product it's just that they are to small and can not handle the type of hunting I do. I can't put spare cloths, food, water, safety gear, spotting scope, camera ect, in either one of the badlands and ever hope to haul a boned deer out in one trip. I believe the badlands is too small for such a chore.

I'm not saying the badlands is a bad product. I'm saying it's in a different class of packs - it's a day pack or an overnight bag, not a full featured expedition, meat hauling freighter. I think the 4500 would be able to haul meat and gear, but I'd be a little reluctant to haul the 4500 around as a day pack. I have hauled my mountaineering pack around before and it sucked to hunt in. They are nice to haul gear in but you can't effectively hunt with one on your back. And, if you use the removable fanny pack that comes standard on the 4500, your right back to the problem that we started with and that's that you cant hunt and haul with the same unit. If you hunt with the daypack from the 4500 you have to go back and retrieve the pack after the kill.

It looks to me like with the Eberlestock you can hunt and haul with the same pack on the same trip. . . Kind of an ingenious idea. And, you can haul your rifle, I'm not sure where on the badlands, anyone of the models you can haul a rifle that's hunter accessible and ready to shoot. I think you have to strap the gun to the pack on the 4500. To get to it you have take the pack off ? right?

Again, not a convenient way for me to hunt. Finally, the 4500, really the only pack under my consideration as it's roughly the same size as the Eberlestock (when it's expanded) is well over $300 retail ? that is more than $100 more than Cabelas lists the Eberlestock and you cant use it to hunt out of and it cant carry a rifle with easy access to the hunter. The 2800 is too big to hunt in and not big enough to haul the gear and the deer. I don't remember it having an easy and convenient way of hauling a rifle either, could you comment on the rifle hauling capabilities of the 2800 ? can you haul a rifle and access it for a shot in an instant? Or, do you have to haul the gun in the old, traditional manner with a rifle sling that is constantly fighting for a place on your shoulder ? ask any hunter that's carried a backpack and rifle, at some point the backpack strap gets in the way of the sling.

I'm not trying to defend anyone, I'm not running down your produces, I'm just trying to find the best pack to suit my style of hunting and so far I've not found a pack that can compete with the features and build of the Eberlestock.

I hunt high and hard and do not want to carry a mountaineering pack (the 4500) around on my back all day just because I might shoot a deer and not want to go back to the rig and get a pack that is designed to haul my gear and a boned-out mature mountain mule deer.

I'm not running down the badlands equipment, just pointing out that they do not make a pack with the features I need and want in a hunting pack. Anyhow, thanks for your honest and completely subjective opinion of the Badlands and the Eberlestock equipment.

Good luck,

Finalshot

I bought an Eberelstock pack last year for my Idaho mule deer hunt. I used it hard, everyday, for 6 days. I can't describe how nice it is to hunt all day, have all your gear, and not deal with wrestling your rifle slung on the shoulder. When scaling deadfall, or climbing a rock cropping, having your gun stowed securely is nice. I have used it for two other hunts with the same results. Every hunter I show it to, either has bought one, or is planning to in the near future.

It is solid, comfortable, and has more straps to secure tents, sleeping bags, and big game capes/racks than you can imagine. The coolest thing is the pack converts from a day tripper, to a meat freighter in seconds. The thing is designed to haul 100 pounds!

This is a pack that will last a lifetime and that all other pack makers will try to duplicate. Look for Eberlestock to become a bigtime player in the hunt gear market soon.

Ed

One more pack too look at

I just got a Blacks Creek Guide Gear "Alaskan" pack. It is an internal frame pack that goes from 3000-4000 inches. I love this pack. I tried the badlands and liked it also. The Alaskan has a much bigger water bladder holder and more room when I need it. Its made to carry both game and gear. I also like the Bow/gun holder. Its one to look at if you are out shopping around.

Andy

RE: One more pack too look at

FinalShot,
It sounds like you haven't looked at a new 2800. They have 2800 c.i. for all your gear plus a full shelf designed to pack meat. Yes there is a place inside both side compartments to hold a rifle in place while hiking. We packed well over 100 pounds of meat in each pack, not to mention a spotting scope, canon xl1 camera with tripod, gl2 with tripod, raingear, cameras and all our other gear. Possibly you are referring to an old design. The 2200 is more of a dayback but the new '04 design will allow you to pack out a boned out deer along with your other gear. The 2200 is still large enough for 1-2 nights in the field. I sell the 2800 for $179. and that includes a 100 oz. waterbladder. The 2200 is $149 w/bladder The 4500 is $320 but it's three packs in one. I believe the Eberlestock is $199 and size wise it's comparable to the 2800. I will say this, badlands are made from superior components.

Thanks for your input. I'll look it over but I'm still sceptical about a 2800 inch pack being able to haul a boned out full sized mule deer and my gear. I think you need about 4000 inches for that job.

Can you pull the rifle out of the badlands and shoot without disturbing the pack by losening or takeing it off your back? How protected is the gun while strapped to the pack?

thanks for your help.

Tony

Your meat doesn't even go in the 2800 inch compartments, that's for gear only. The side compartments fold out with a bottom compartment, you set your quarters in there and cinch them tight with the straps. Takes less than a minute and keeps the bloody mess out of your pack. If you considered the space you strap meat or anything else to you would have well over 4,000 c.i., The gun is protected but you do need to take the pack off to get the gun. Actually, you might be able to pull it out by grabbing the barrel, I've never tried. I usually just sling the gun over my shoulder. The pack doesn't interfere with my sling at all so it's no big deal.

Actually Eberlestock is far Superior

MrBaitnFish,

Superior components is all you find with Eberlestock. Unconditional lifetime warranty, triple re-inforced fabric system, plastic hardware made of premium Duraflex, and they have a patented Quickdraw Bakscabbard that makes it easy to pull out your rifle (from the stock end), quickly and easily without removing the pack. You indicate that "you might be able to pull it out by grabbing the barrel" doesn't sound superior at all.

Phil Shoemaker, an Alaskan Master Guide says "The Eberlestock "Just One" pack is easily the most comfortable and versatile backpack I have ever worn." Quite a statement from an outfitter who has worn backpacks an average of ninety days per year for the last forty years.

Ed

Update, I now own the Eberlestock just one pack. Boy did I make the correct decision!

I spent the day with it up on the mountain. What a dream-come-true; this pack is everything I needed and more. The pack is comfortable, exteemly well built and very simple to use. The gun scabbard none other than a revolution in hunting packs, you dont even know you're carring the gun and if you need it you just reach over your sholder and pull it out and your ready to go, that quick and that simple. Free hands for glassing, hiking and you dont have to worrie about the gun bumping or getting caught up on the brush or slipping off your sholder. Wow is all I can say. . .

The waist belt is very well designed. You are able to slip the nylon strap out of the waist belt, remove the buckle and hang a knife, shell holder, shooting sticks, camera case, range finder, pistol or what ever you like for either, or both sides of the waist belt, great concept. Most packs sew the nylon strap to the hipbelt so you cant put your traditional belt looped accesorys on the pack, you're forced to put them in the pack or find some other way to store them.

There?s a nice soft padded compartment for your keys or other items that may rattle. The compartment keeps them quite. A lot of room for your tripod, scope etc.

My gear fits nicely and its easy to get at.

I purchased it through the maker and bought the spike camp duffle too. The duffle secures nicely to the pack when expanded. What a great concept. I've hunted with over 10 different packs, still own most of them including a Badlands, and this pack will cause me to hold a garage sale to liquidate the other stuff or give them to my relatives (the badlands) is going to my nephew. The guy I talk to at Eberlestock was nice and took the time to talk to me about my style of hunting and the ability of the pack to meet my needs. He also told me the story behind the pack and his company, kind of a cool story. His company is out of Boise, ID.

The pack is simple to use, the large straps are long and very durable; I know I'm not going rip them out even if I really try. All my daily hunting gear fits into the pack while it's compact. If I shoot something I'll just expand the pack and load it for the pack out. I'm looking forward to this hunting season. I'm 5?11?? 175 lbs and I think this is a best pack I have ever hunted with, hands down!!!!!!!!!!!!

Trust me, you can't go wrong with this one!

Finalshot. . .

Hey Jeff,

I just hauled a bull off the mountains, and yep the Just One holds big hind quarters, plus more, as advertised.

Cheers
Craven4

Finalshot,
In looking at the website the Just One pack looks like it has everything with one exception, those awful colored grey straps. Which camo color did you get and do the straps really look like that. Makes no sense to have a camo pack with straps that would stand out like those. Also, did you get the rain cover? and does it come in camo.

Thanks for the info.
Oakbuck

I would not be concerned with the color of the straps unless you are trying to moonwalk on the approach to the deer, LOL. I do think that the straps look kind of off on the camo pack but I think I will purchase one of these and let you guys know what I think.

Drummond

Actually those gray straps are a neutral color in a game animals vision AND they do wonders to break up a normal camo pattern and give depth to it. It looks no more than like a few tree limbs across a patch of brush.

The fall down of so many camos is that their patterns blob so much together at much more than bow range.

Of course I tend to prefer lighter shades of camo and towards ASAT anyway so it may be a personal thing. Thats my 2 cents.

Plus the deer would have to be sneaking up behind you for those straps to do too much damage, if they are a problem??

Jeff

Just got back from extended hunt with the just one pack. Son in law used the badlands 2800 pack.Theirs not a better pack made any where for my money than the one.It easly packs out boned out deer plus the heavy duty straps that cross will hold cape and horns secure.The 2800 badlands was a distant second on our field test for what its worth.The scabbard was much appreciated hiking around in rimrocks.The two back pockets will hold tripod and tripod quite nice. Steve

Oakbuck, the straps are a neutral gray. I never gave the color of the straps a second thought as I'm not sure it really matters in the end. It is an aesthetic issue as far as I can tell.

I did get the rain cover. It is black, I'm not sure if they offer a camo rain cover. It fits nicely over the pack. The pack itself sheds the water and snow. I would likely only use the cover if I was in a real rainstorm or leave my pack stashed for an extended period. I used the pack in the rain and snow without the cover and nothing inside the pack got wet.

I got the grey camo style. I hunt a range of terrain from sage to deep timber and I really like the color, it seems to fit in well. I think it blends well in most settings. I'll be in the snow from now on so I'm not sure any other color other than snow camo would help. I wear mostly natgear and filson wool camo so the pack fits right in with my camo.

Bottom line, don't wait till next year, buy one now and you will not regret it for one minute!

Finalshot

Oakbuck, the straps on the production packs are darker gray than the light ones on the gray pack shown on the website. Take a look at the Hardwoods Green pack and you'll get a better idea for the color. The main thing is that the straps aren't black, and help out the camo coloration. The webmaster at Eberlestock just needs to be flogged into changing the pictures.

Cheers
Craven4

Darker gray is good! My wife thinks I have a pack fettish along with a sleeping bag fettish, but I'll be buying the Just One before '05 archery elk and if it's as good as it looks, the pack collection is going up on ebay! Also, that hard case looks great for traveling.

I've had one since Dec. I haven't had the opportuntity to pack meat in it yet, but I find the pack very hunter friendly. A couple of features really sold me.
First, the pack has a pocket in the upper corner that fits my Swaro 15's perfectly.
Second, I use the rifle pocket for my tripod. No more unbuckling and bucklng straps to get it off.
The guy that designed it is a biathelete. Who better to design a pack for hunters on the move?
I don't see any of these features on the "Badlands"!

I just returned from the wilds of Idaho and used the Badlands 4500 pack--it holds a ton of stuff for getting to camp, it has 2 compartments(one huge and one smaller) plus two small zippered pockets(camera size)-it also has two bags that are detachable and they become a fanny pack and the other one a samll backpack-I used the 4500 as a day pack while climbing up mtns and hiking 10-12 miles a day--my shoulders would get tired after about 3 hrs of use with only some water, raingear, 1st aid kit and some other small items(probably 20lbs including the pack)--this may be because I'm not used to hiking this much or I don't have it setup right, it's hard to tell--a rifle scabbard whould've been nice, although I did strap it on the pack when on the way back to camp--it would seem to be able to pack an elk quarter, but since I didn't shoot anything I really can't comment on it's meat packing abilities--am I happy with it--yes, but I do believe some more pockets and the ability to strap a rifle on it(that can be easily removed) would be a nice addition(not sure how this can be done though)--again it will hold a ton of stuff, but it's mainly in two compartments and I still am not sure where the water bladder goes--I just shoved it in the backpack part--luckily we had plenty of water from creeks so it wasn't an issue--

my brother used a Dwight Schu pack and it was pretty nice--held a lot of stuff also, but not as much as the Badlands 4500--it had more pockets for stuff(which I like)--he didn't use it as a day pack though---chris

Eberlestock Gunslinger

You guys also have to see the Eberlestock "Gunslinger"; 2200 cubic inches, weighs 3.4 lbs, internal hydration storage, and the Quickdraw Backscabbard.

This thing is the ultimate daypack, but still has the compression straps and engineering for packing external cargo, aka(trophy rack/cape).

Ed

RE: Eberlestock Gunslinger

I have been searching packs now for about 6 months. I ordered me an Eberlestock "Just one" (Monday) without ever reading this post. I was going back and forth between the 2800 and the just one. You guys have re-assured me that I mad the best choice.

As far as MrBaitnFish is concerend, it sounds to me as if he is worried about sales. And yea, he probably has been outselling Eberlestock because they are new and not a lot of people have heard of them. Give it time and we'll see who out sells who.

has anyone hauled a tent and sleeping bag with the "just one" yet. i am considering getting one but not sure where i would put these two items.

any thoughts?

jason

Jason, it's very simple, I've done a few times into the high-country and it works great.

First, remove the stakes from the tent bag and slip them into one of the outside pockets, before you cinch the straps. Second, put the tent or the bag, whichever you prefer on the top or the bottom - under the top-pack or above the bottom nylon strap but below the bottom of the pack. Usually I try to put the heavier of the two on the bottom but you will have to decide for yourself. My pad also goes with one or the other (I uses a very small thermo-rest, it's the orange one - spend the $$ on one they are awesome and light! If you're afraid of getting your bag wet, put it into a plastic bag as you stuff it into your stuff sack! I do it as a rule, regardless of what I think might happen. A wet bag will send you home sooner than starvation.

Hope this helps, Tony

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom