Best in America

coryb

I love living in New Mexico, but enough is enough.

If you were looking for a better home where would you look?

For me, the primary criteria would be a safe and conservative (I know that's redundant) place. I like our weather here and would not want to go any colder, or somewhere that is too hot and humid. Access to fishing (what NM really lacks) and bird hunting are more important than big game because I could justify big trips in the fall for elk etc. but it is harder to make it happen for fish/birds. Small town, but access to a major airport 2-3 hours away would be nice. Must have public land and wild spaces...

Lets here some options! Who knows the right place?

Cory

It would have to be in the southwest. Don’t put too much thought into weather the place is conservative enough or not, It will drive you crazy. I’m about to make a permanent move out of the city and back to my failing small town and make maybe 30% of what I made in the city. The things that were important to me were the open spaces, kick back lifestyle, high desert and peace and quiet. The open spaces are the biggest thing for me. Can’t find that in the city and I want to enjoy those while I can because we seem to be losing them little by little every year.

Good luck foolish liberals are spreading like the plag all over the south west and they seem to ruin every place they end up at.
My pick would be Wyoming. One of the best places- aside from the Wind- is Rawlins. Super great fishing right outside town - it’s there ! Seminoe Res., North Platte River, hunting - antelope, deer, elk. Upland game too. Airport- Casper, Laramie, Salt Lake City, Denver. I lived in Cheyenne for 10 years till my wife died, then had to relocate to Ft Collins, Colorado. Check it out. Also it has High Savery Res for great fishing too - a fairly new one & great fishing too.
Jerry Gold in Windsor, Colorado ???

You will probably laugh when I give you my opinion, my wife does when I mention moving to South Dakota when we retire.

Tons of great pheasant hunting on public land (my #1 reason).
Exceptional waterfowl hunting (not my thing).
Fishing is great and diverse.
No state income tax.
Some big game options out west and whitetails everywhere.
Housing is affordable, several lake home options.
Ice fishing is fantastic but I would still leave January-March.
You can live in the mountains or on the plains.
You might want to bring your partner with you rather than relying on finding one there :)
It checks the conservative box for sure - I am more of a moderate so I like a little more balance but people there are very friendly. No shortage of white trash though (meth, etc.).

Wyoming would be on my list too or Florida (I really like salt water fishing). I will always keep one foot in Iowa though because I own farms here and we have pretty good hunting too. It is all private land for the most part so unless you can afford to buy or less a couple hundred acres I would not move here - people are not beating our doors down I can assure you.

I was watching a Joe Rogan podcast with Glen Vileneuve of Life Below Zero fame, when Rogan referenced something about Jussie Smollet, and Vileneuve had to admit that he had no idea who Smollet is. At that moment, I was filled with envy for Vileneuve.

I think that Vileneuve-kind-of-lifestyle is the only way you're ever going to escape the politics that plague us now.

I too think about this all the time. Alaska does not meet your stated criteria, but if not for grandkids, I'd probably already be gone.

I also really liked SW Nebraska when I did a whitetail/turkey hunt there this past November. Maybe being about as far away as you can get from either coast has helped Nebraska stay a little more above it all. There is a definite pleasantness about the place & people there.

If you come up with a better answer, I'd like to know.

You forgot a key piece of information we need.....
Are you married or whipped over a girl?

for retirement I am definitely leaning towards SD. Going to save 4.6 % percent of my entire retirement funds.

I very good friend of mine moved to Wyoming Casper area and absolutely loves it out there.

For me, the primary criteria would be a safe and conservative (I know that's redundant) place. I like our weather here and would not want to go any colder, or somewhere that is too hot and humid. Access to fishing (what NM really lacks) and bird hunting are more important than big game because I could justify big trips in the fall for elk etc. but it is harder to make it happen for fish/birds. Small town, but access to a major airport 2-3 hours away would be nice. Must have public land and wild spaces...

Cory
Wyoming is also very very conservative - blood ? red state. Fabulous mountains & plains & huge tracts of BLM Lands & lots of
national forests & fairly easy to draw antelope permits, if you do your homework on the stats of the draws for Residents.
You can usually draw some type of deer or elk yearly- no guarantee however.
??? JERRY Gold - Windsor, Colorado ???

I am going to Wickenburg AZ. Lake pleasant and Alamo are close by. All kinds of hunting options in AZ. I can also be hunting Nevada, Utah, New Mexico, or Colorado within 6 hours. Wickenburg is a conservative town, it is filled with cowboys from MT,WY,ID and all over really. It is 1 hour from the phoenix airport and is a thousand feet higher that the valley. It is usually 7-10 degrees cooler. Still hot in the summer but that is when we like to travel anyway. The winters are beautiful. From our property we can enter a wash on a horse or SxS and access miles of desert. I like to golf and there are 100+ courses within a hour.

My second choice would be Wyoming. I don't think I could do the winters. It will be where I go to escape the Az heat

yeah you don't want to over look ca you can hunt deer with 2 tags and be tuna fishing the next day ,maybe you prefer salmon or striped base maybe marlin, you would need to go to Arkansas to find better waterfowl ,maybe you like quail. pheasant turkey bandtials ,dove by the millions,eurasian doves all year no limit grouse, pig all year. Weather take your pick of high county low country, desert, big towns small towns public land you wont see all of in a jet. but you will still have people you don't like ,just like were ever you are now. I shot a javalina sunday and 14 eurasian dove and was home along the pacific for dinner. I think the perfect place for me is spending more time in all of the places I like, I really like alaska but 8 months of darkness does not work for me and waterfowl hunting is short lived. Hopefully when you find that place it was the right choice . I also think If you just moved into so cal it could be as bad as sitting in the dark for 8 months, I grew next to the beach and would not like to be far from the ocean

And you recommend Utah?. Reminds me of a saying. If you think you’re surrounded by fools you are the fool!
Sounds like you spent time searching for posts of mine for the sake of making comment on them.

Now, let's go back to that other thread where my comment on your "saying" would be appropriate, after all, you think you're surrounded by fools in that thread...

Sounds like you spent time searching for posts of mine for the sake of making comment on them.

Now, let's go back to that other thread where my comment on your "saying" would be appropriate, after all, you think you're surrounded by fools in that thread...
Ummm not sure why you think I searched your posts. I have way better things to do than that, but ok.

what are you smoking to recommend St George Utah as a place to move to? Seriously, I want some of what you’re smoking...

For my priorities, I dont think I can do better than where I live in NM. I like the people, climate, access to thousands of miles of public land. We have so many species to hunt. As long as you got family and friends involved in hunting there are basically hunts going on almost 7 months out of the year. I detest white liberals, with an emphasis on rich white liberals and they are a minority for sure here.
Southern NM also has a rich history, low population and affordable living.

Ummm not sure why you think I searched your posts. I have way better things to do than that, but ok.

what are you smoking to recommend St George Utah as a place to move to? Seriously, I want some of what you’re smoking...
Who said anything about St. George?

You hinge on everything I say. It's OK to admit it...

For my priorities, I dont think I can do better than where I live in NM. I like the people, climate, access to thousands of miles of public land. We have so many species to hunt. As long as you got family and friends involved in hunting there are basically hunts going on almost 7 months out of the year. I detest white liberals, with an emphasis on rich white liberals and they are a minority for sure here.
Southern NM also has a rich history, low population and affordable living.
?!!!!

Cory
Cory, don't want you and yours moving anywhere. Trust me I totally feel your pain with the wacked out Liberals in Santa Fe. I'm convinced that the current wave of Progressives will burn out because they have failed ideas. Hang in there my friend.

We haven't committed to moving. We live 30 minutes out of Abq in the mountains, nothing really in between us and Santa Fe. Looking at a 5 year plan as that's about the time our oldest son will be driving and we hate the thought of him being down in Abq. This spot would be near perfect if Abq didn't exist.

Yoda, I am happily married and definitely will be taking my wife and sons with me! I have a flexible job and can make do anywhere so not really limited in that regards.

Arizona seems appealing in many ways if I look at the right places. We've also been looking at Florida though the weather is not ideal, nor is leaving the west. Definitely love the idea of having enough water around to buy a property that I could hunt ducks, fish, maybe turkey on my own land and have a boat. Wish this state would miracolously go hard red, and the gangsters and liberals would go to California. Funny, the mentions of California above. Its hard to imagine a place with better woods/waters/beauty etc. A lot like NM. The people are a huge problem. Terrible policy, bad attitudes, and proud of many of the things I detest...

I would only leave NM to get rid of these elements in the lives of my kids and certainly would not go somewhere else where they are even more prominent!

My pick would be Wyoming. One of the best places- aside from the Wind- is Rawlins. Super great fishing right outside town - it’s there ! Seminoe Res., North Platte River, hunting - antelope, deer, elk. Upland game too. Airport- Casper, Laramie, Salt Lake City, Denver. I lived in Cheyenne for 10 years till my wife died, then had to relocate to Ft Collins, Colorado. Check it out. Also it has High Savery Res for great fishing too - a fairly new one & great fishing too.
Jerry Gold in Windsor, Colorado ???
Ok Jerry this is twice now that you’ve mentioned Rawlins as a place to live. Are you getting paid by their chamber of commerce to promote that place? Everyone I know is in a big hurry to drive past that place. Seagulls fly upside down over it.

Ok Jerry this is twice now that you’ve mentioned Rawlins as a place to live. Are you getting paid by their chamber of commerce to promote that place? Everyone I know is in a big hurry to drive past that place. Seagulls fly upside down over it.
Just telling the truth as I see it about Rawlins. No pay. Just honesty. It’s a hunting/fishing paradise - most folks just look around & feel the wind blow & go
OMG let’s go ! I’ve spent lots of time there over the years & enjoyed it all. Especially the antelope hunting & fishing just east
of town. Lots of people miss the super things about that area. BLM lands beyond belief. Jerry Gold- Windsor, Colorado ????

Grew up in and still love SDak but I will stick to NM. Not sure what you mean about bird hunting, I hunted quail every week through February on huge tracts of public land, never saw another hunter and was in shirt sleeves.

Grew up in and still love SDak but I will stick to NM. Not sure what you mean about bird hunting, I hunted quail every week through February on huge tracts of public land, never saw another hunter and was in shirt sleeves.
interesting how you prefer NM's politics over SD's. But as always, there is that thing about grass on both sides of a fence...

didn't day anything about politics and have no idea how you could infer that from my post.
Grew up in and still love SDak but I will stick to NM.

This is how.

NM doesn't have much to offer other than a no point draw system and everything going on now in the legislative session is a direct attack on hunting and firearm ownership. Poor economic policy is directly related to the politics of the state.

This is how.

NM doesn't have much to offer other than a no point draw system and everything going on now in the legislative session is a direct attack on hunting and firearm ownership. Poor economic policy is directly related to the politics of the state.
Odd, I don't see the word politics or a political inference in the statement. If you must know I despise NM politics and much prefer SDak attitudes but in terms of where I choose to live other factors influence my life more than petty NM politics.... I will take the NM weather ( ESPECIALLY WEATHER), diversity of terrain...desert to high alpine, huge tracts of public land, world class elk, antelope, cous deer, oryx, quail etc. I still spend a good bit of time in SDAk hunting every fall but I have private land connections and don't have to fight the literal hoards of hunters on public land. To each his own, SDak is where I grew up but NM is home

didn't day anything about politics and have no idea how you could infer that from my post.
What?!?!? Your life doesn’t revolve around politics? Every subject you think or talk about isn’t politically analyzed?!?! ha ha :ROFLMAO:

I’m joking of course.

@zia I like how roadrunner calls you out about how he hates the politics AND no points system. Seems like he has his only little political agenda. That's how it all starts.

You know the saying, if you think the problem is the ones around you, you're the problem :D

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom