Best Long Range Rangefinder?

Bigwiffy

Very Active Member
I am going to probably draw an antlerless deer tag and would like to try my luck with long range shooting. What rangefinder do you all suggest? I would like to extend my range out to around 1500 yards on this hunt. Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

I don’t understand why you’d lob bullets in on a Doe Deer, you obviously don’t do it on Bucks. Practicing long range is one thing, to go out and shoot 1500 yds and hit your target is another and yes I’ve shot 1500 yds, I would find no sport in it. If your going to shoot that far you should jump into the big boy range finders, the sig and vortex are toys.

I don’t understand why you’d lob bullets in on a Doe Deer, you obviously don’t do it on Bucks. Practicing long range is one thing, to go out and shoot 1500 yds and hit your target is another and yes I’ve shot 1500 yds, I would find no sport in it. If your going to shoot that far you should jump into the big boy range finders, the sig and vortex are toys.
I figured a doe would be a good place to start my long range career. I heard Sig was coming out with a 10,000 yard rangefinder? What big boys are you talking about? Bushnell, Leopold? Appreciate the info!

PS I have really bad arthritis and can't get too far from my quad. That's why I'm thinking long range would be right up my alley. It is getting popular and looks like a lot of fun. Shooting one at 1500+ yards! Can you imagine the rush!?

4D180FA4-66F4-4081-9DDE-94DA2E37230F.png

If you need to ambush a animal at 1500 yrds Just stay home
I don't want to ambush anything. I want to kill it without hurting my back and knees. If that's at 1500 yards, 2000, or 10000 yards. Just makes it easier on me. If I tripped on some deadfall sneaking up on something and fell over that would be the end of me. I think I'll get one of those that hawkbill posted. Unless anybody else has any other suggestions? I sure don't want to stay home! This long range stuff is a game changer.

You still gotta get it out after you kill it no matter what the range is so I would think 50 to 75 yards would be easier on you body
I was thinking about that. I really only like the liver and tender loins. I'm a trophy hunter. I could probably get some help to haul it to the nearest road or at least where I can get my sxs. I wouldn't want to get a ticket for not taking all of the nasty, sage brush tasting meat. I just think it would be cool to be able to hunt like that! I saw on YouTube guys taking the lids off whistle pigs at like 1300 yards!

I don't really know what to say... Good luck on your adventure... Try not to waste too many of our baby makers

I don't really know what to say... Good luck on your adventure... Try not to waste too many of our baby makers
I won't waste anything, more than likely I won't be able to get my feeble fanny out the door of my trailer. If I do draw consider that a doe saved. You've been very helpful, thank you!

I think with all optics you need to take them out of the store and try it outside.I’ve heard Tasco is getting back in the game, just what longe range weekly was saying in an article or maybe it was Instagram, I can’t be sure.

I think with all optics you need to take them out of the store and try it outside.I’ve heard Tasco is getting back in the game, just what longe range weekly was saying in an article or maybe it was Instagram, I can’t be sure.
Long range weekly? Is that a magazine subscription I can get? Tasco has been pretty good for me. I run a few of their trail cameras I got from Walmart. They are bulletproof. Thanks for the tip Coop!

Yea no problem.My friend Hosblur let me borrow his, he said he didn’t need it.Something about rangefinders are for wussies, he just aims over the back and crosses his fingers

Yea no problem.My friend Hosblur let me borrow his, he said he didn’t need it.Something about rangefinders are for wussies, he just aims over the back and crosses his fingers
He will change his tune when he sees those bad boys Hawk posted. In the words of Joe Dirt "daaaaaaaang"

Use the biggest gun you can. And shoot her lots of times. Makes the pack out easier.

If it was me, I would be looking for somewhere to run over one.

Use the biggest gun you can. And shoot her lots of times. Makes the pack out easier.

If it was me, I would be looking for somewhere to run over one.
Do you think my 6.5 CM will get the job done? I don't want to dent my Chevy Luv, and that might hurt the liver.

My issue isn't wanting to ruin the meat just so we are clear. I love liver and onions. My issue is trying to get close. With my arthritis I need to shoot from close to the road and hopefully the doe will be close to another road. Those guys shooting whistle pigs at 1800 yards have given me the confidence I can hit a deer at 2000+ yards no problem. I ordered the Sig 10000 yard rangefinder yesterday. If I like this long range hunting I figure that extra 10000 yards will come in handy.

I was thinking about that. I really only like the liver and tender loins. I'm a trophy hunter. I could probably get some help to haul it to the nearest road or at least where I can get my sxs. I wouldn't want to get a ticket for not taking all of the nasty, sage brush tasting meat. I just think it would be cool to be able to hunt like that! I saw on YouTube guys taking the lids off whistle pigs at like 1300 yards!
I hope you are just trolling because I can't believe this crap. You have a doe tag and you don't like the meat? WTF are you even hunting for? That is complete and utter bullshit! What other reason would a person hunt an antlerless animal if it wasn't for consumption. Take the money you were going to spend on that rangefinder, sell all your hunting gear and go buy some golf clubs.

Since when is it okay to take unethical shots on wildlife just because they're antlerless?

What's trolling? I just got my email and I actually drew a doe antelope not a doe deer. Good and bad I guess, good that I'll be able to really extend my range in the antelope flats. Bad antelope taste worse than deer.

What's trolling? I just got my email and I actually drew a doe antelope not a doe deer. Good and bad I guess, good that I'll be able to really extend my range in the antelope flats. Bad antelope taste worse than deer.
Antelope are fast runners, I’d bring your AR and a 50 round clip just in case you miss the first 9 shots, if anything it will slow her down to close the distance to 12-1400 yards

Antelope are fast runners, I’d bring your AR and a 50 round clip just in case you miss the first 9 shots, if anything it will slow her down to close the distance to 12-1400 yards
I don't have an AR. I don't plan on getting close enough to get them running, or letting them know I'm even in their area. That's what intrigues me about long range hunting. Not really any hunting involved in it. That is great for me and my arthritis. Do you think my 6.5 CM will take down a doe antelope at 1500+ yards? I doubt I can get an AR before the hunt opens.

Oh yea creesmores will definitely do it, if you practice enough you can shoot the scent glands off before you decide to take her, I’ve heard that makes them taste a ton better, I’ve never done it myself, but I’d try if I were lucky enough to get a tag like that

Oh yea creesmores will definitely do it, if you practice enough you can shoot the scent glands off before you decide to take her, I’ve heard that makes them taste a ton better, I’ve never done it myself, but I’d try if I were lucky enough to get a tag like that
Scent glands off a doe? I've heard of bucks getting stinky, but not does so much. Maybe you've shot bucks that identify as does?

It was a story in long range weekly, maybe it was a buck, maybe it was a buck that identifies as a doe, it’s 2021, you have to learn to accept antelope however you find them ?

It was a story in long range weekly, maybe it was a buck, maybe it was a buck that identifies as a doe, it’s 2021, you have to learn to accept antelope however you find them ?
I need to subscribe to LRW. Maybe if I kill a big doe pronghorn they can feature me in an article.

I've most recently been using both the Leica CRF 1600 and the Vortex Razor 4000. Both have clear glass and range quick.

The Leica gives me a barometric pressure reading as well, which I love for plugging into a ballistic calculator.

Bigwiffy where the heck did bigstiffy go. I am excited for you. I just read in The Long Range Weekly that they will be giving a 20,000.00 prize to the guy that can drop a Doe at the longest distance. Last years winner shot an amazing 2113 yards. They are also donating a lifesize mount and free booth space at the Hunt Expo where you can show your mount, rifle and tell folks your story on how you settled in for that amazing shot.

Bigwiffy where the heck did bigstiffy go. I am excited for you. I just read in The Long Range Weekly that they will be giving a 20,000.00 prize to the guy that can drop a Doe at the longest distance. Last years winner shot an amazing 2113 yards. They are also donating a lifesize mount and free booth space at the Hunt Expo where you can show your mount, rifle and tell folks your story on how you settled in for that amazing shot.
Apparently Bigstiffy was offensive to some on here, I am guilty for not knowing the Urban dictionary meaning. That would be awesome! I would love to go to the expo! 2113 yards seems fairly close, I think if I practice I could top that with my Creedmore? Do you think that is possible? 20k prize???? Are you serious?

I believe a 6.5 Creed is capable of 4000 to 5000 yds with a slight breeze.I am not very experienced in the long range at these yardages maybe some of the super hunters could chime in. I hear the guys in Utah are really good with the long range setups, they have all the cool gadgets. The hot item they are using now is called the Claw, it holds your rifle super steady in the tripod so there is absolutely no chance for a miss and it saves money so you don’t have to practice as much and burn expensive ammo

Last edited:
I believe a 6.5 Creed is capable of 4000 to 5000 yds with a slight breeze.I am not very experienced in the long range at these yardages maybe some of the super hunters could chime in. I hear the guys in Utah are really good with the long range setups, they have all the cool gadgets. The hot item they are using now is called the Claw, it holds your rifle super steady in the tripod so there is absolutely no chance for a miss and it saves money so you don’t have to practice as much and burn expensive ammo
What??? Amazing! I'll have to look into that. I would love to be able to roll up in my Chevy Luv and dump my antelope doe at like 2500 yards. If the Claw helps that much I'll have to ask my Mom for a chunk of my inheritance. This stuff is expensive!

Be careful talking about the claw, someone will wanna ban it. (PETA)

Don't mind Homer, he's a good speller kind of a dick most of the time, and that's about all I know about him.

Let me know what works also. I got a new 6.5 that I’m going to set up as a sniper gun for ultra long range deer.1500+yards

70B2751B-CDFA-4C0E-B8AB-28B95063B25D.jpeg

Last edited:
I shot mine over the weekend. At 150 yards I was consistently hitting a car door somebody had left. Well 2 out of 5 shots hit the door. It kicked harder than my .22. I backed way up to 700 yards I didn't see where it hit, but it had to be close. Can't wait for my hunt!

I shot mine over the weekend. At 150 yards I was consistently hitting a car door somebody had left. Well 2 out of 5 shots hit the door. It kicked harder than my .22. I backed way up to 700 yards I didn't see where it hit, but it had to be close. Can't wait for my hunt!
Mine is sounding the same. I am going to try reloading to get better consistency. I should be able to get 3100fps with right powder. Then I’ll take it out to 1000 for starts.
I am trying to use lighter Bullets so they float better and farther.

Last edited:
Mine is sounding the same. I am going to try reloading to get better consistency. I should be able to get 3100fps with right powder. Then I’ll take it out to 1000 for starts.
I am trying to use lighter Bullets so they float better and farther.
You think 1000 yards to start is wise? It was hard for me to see where I was hitting at 700 yards. By the time I walked up to the car door to check if I hit it I was too tired to shoot anymore.

You think 1000 yards to start is wise? It was hard for me to see where I was hitting at 700 yards. By the time I walked up to the car door to check if I hit it I was too tired to shoot anymore.
You need a side by side with a turbo my friend, it will help your hunt a lot, you’ll see more animals the faster you go !!!

You need a side by side with a turbo my friend, it will help your hunt a lot, you’ll see more animals the faster you go !!!
I was thinking about putting my little brother closer to the target where he could see and tell me where I'm hitting. I don't want to run over any nails or glass out there on my side x side

I have a 4x16 scope with hold overs for long distance. I can see pretty good.

I have a 4x16 scope with hold overs for long distance. I can see pretty good.
4-16 is a little bit bigger than I would use. You need a compact scope like fixed 4x32 more field of view at 1000 yards. It’s way easier to flock shoot.

4-16 is a little bit bigger than I would use. You need a compact scope like fixed 4x32 more field of view at 1000 yards. It’s way easier to flock shoot.
I've never thought to use my 6.5 for bird hunting. Is that what you mean to flock shoot? That sounds fun!

I've never thought to use my 6.5 for bird hunting. Is that what you mean to flock shoot? That sounds fun!
I have a vortex crossfire on my Creedmoor for long shots over 1000. So far it’s working good.
My loads are just about there for ultra long range. I’m going to lower a grain and should be good. Got 2 elk with one shot. Ultrafast bullet are key. This is we’re the Creedmoor shines.

E1AD71B8-E637-42E9-833B-6C3B8A6C3A8B.jpeg

FD433B9F-620E-441F-B983-E86C776E5F7B.jpeg

Last edited:
Wow! Two in one shot! I hope to maybe get one in two shots. I need to put more powder behind my bullet. What grain bullet do you use?

Wow! Two in one shot! I hope to maybe get one in two shots. I need to put more powder behind my bullet. What grain bullet do you use?
Tac-tx Barnes 100 grain
Because it’s a tactical rifle for long range
It took a lot of shots until I figured where I was hitting then got it dialed in. That’s why I am going to get a range finder.
It will save ammo and my barrel won’t be so dang hot.

Last edited:
Tac-tx Barnes 100 grain
Because it’s a tactical rifle for long range
It took a lot of shots until I figured where I was hitting then got it dialed in. That’s why I am going to get a range finder.
It will save ammo and my barrel won’t be so dang hot.
I hear ya. My 10k yard Sig is on backorder. I got some targets today at Walmart that splatter if you hit the paper. I think it will help me see if I hit it or not

I have a vortex crossfire on my Creedmoor for long shots over 1000. So far it’s working good.
My loads are just about there for ultra long range. I’m going to lower a grain and should be good. Got 2 elk with one shot. Ultrafast bullet are key. This is we’re the Creedmoor shines.

View attachment 45548

View attachment 45553
I’m seeing double that’s four cows down talk about flock shooting nice.

Have you two fellas thought about teaming up. There aren’t very many guys that can shoot ultra long range, I’m actually jealous because I just can’t see that far, but I still shoot at noises in the woods.

Have you two fellas thought about teaming up. There aren’t very many guys that can shoot ultra long range, I’m actually jealous because I just can’t see that far, but I still shoot at noises in the woods.
I'm not sure I could keep up with milligun. I bet with the glasses he has in his picture he doesn't need binoculars. What are those milli 8 maybe 10x42 Coke Bottles?

My sponsors won’t let me team up.

Well, need to find a good deal on a rangefinder mine is not reaching out as far as the Creedmoor can go.

137D8D49-3151-4922-B5BB-8139FBEF194F.jpeg

D867E66B-6C13-4B72-9A84-74CE0E7A072C.jpeg

Last edited:
It’s not about how far my Creedmoor shoots its how far I can holdover on my hash marks. I’m maxed right now. I usually use the lowest mark then shoot and adjust shoot adjust I dial it in.
I’ll look into a sig 10 that sounds like what I need.
I now shoot lapua brass so I should get more speed.

I try not to shoot at game over 1500. It can kill much farther though.

Like I said before those guys on YouTube were lopping heads of whistle pigs at probably like maybe 2600 yards with their CM's. I added 3 more reticles in my scope with a sharpie marker. I'm thinkin realistically I'll kill my doe antelope at 1900 yards

Like I said before those guys on YouTube were lopping heads of whistle pigs at probably like maybe 2600 yards with their CM's. I added 3 more reticles in my scope with a sharpie marker. I'm thinkin realistically I'll kill my doe antelope at 1900 yards
I think you are stretching the truth a little. I see if I can find my video of kills over 1500

I think you are stretching the truth a little. I see if I can find my video of kills over 1500
I may be stretching my waistband tonight with the 3 Little Caesars pizzas I'm polishing off, but I swear they were way out there maybe like oh I'd say at least 2000 yards in the in the in the heads of them things.

I've just read this entire thread and saw the mention of a claw. But no mention of color. Are they Whiteclaws or a different color? Which color is the most accurate? Only want to hear from people with real world experience. If you've just read articles about shooting and Whiteclaws on the internet, save it. I've read the articles too.

After talking to you guys, I decided since I don’t see well, I would step up my game. I’m not sure I could keep up with you but the guy I bought this from said it would shoot across a section of land with no problem. So Big Wiff that would save a lot of walking
B2C7758C-285F-493F-9836-EA1749AD5C7F.jpeg

I was able to sneak out before the storm hit yesterday and got some shootin in. I don't know for sure where I hit the door. I think the ones that aren't rusted are mine. It was at 1400 yards, I'm pretty pleased. I only have 3 bullets left I'm saving for my hunt! Can't wait!

Screenshot_20210715-161707_Chrome.jpg

After talking to you guys, I decided since I don’t see well, I would step up my game. I’m not sure I could keep up with you but the guy I bought this from said it would shoot across a section of land with no problem. So Big Wiff that would save a lot of walkingView attachment 46111
I use a gun like that on Call of Duty. It kills stuff dead, you made a good choice.....unless it's not a 6.5?

I've just read this entire thread and saw the mention of a claw. But no mention of color. Are they Whiteclaws or a different color? Which color is the most accurate? Only want to hear from people with real world experience. If you've just read articles about shooting and Whiteclaws on the internet, save it. I've read the articles too.
When my Brother and I have a video game night we drink Whiteclaws. Let me tell you, it gets crazy! Never heard of anything you are talking about I don't think anyway. Sorry.

Bigwiffy,

When you are trolling around in your chevy luv looking for your long range shot don't slam on the brakes when you see one or your bucket of KFC will fall on the floor. We wouldn't want you to miss your shot because you were too busy picking up the spilled chicken.

After the kill put that treasured liver and an onion in some foil and bale wire it to your muffler. Drive home with your trophy and when you arrive your dinner will be done. Be sure to share that liver with Joe Dirt.

With lead in the air there is always hope.
I like it when you can pull the trigger 3 or 4 times before the first bullet gets there. Now that is some long distance shooting.
LOL

I don't want to ambush anything. I want to kill it without hurting my back and knees. If that's at 1500 yards, 2000, or 10000 yards. Just makes it easier on me. If I tripped on some deadfall sneaking up on something and fell over that would be the end of me. I think I'll get one of those that hawkbill posted. Unless anybody else has any other suggestions? I sure don't want to stay home! This long range stuff is a game changer.
Hey, as long as you can get out there and enjoy yourself go ahead and shoot at what ever distance you can accurately hit your intended target. Good luck?
I use and prefer Vortex.

Bigwiffy,

When you are trolling around in your chevy luv looking for your long range shot don't slam on the brakes when you see one or your bucket of KFC will fall on the floor. We wouldn't want you to miss your shot because you were too busy picking up the spilled chicken.

After the kill put that treasured liver and an onion in some foil and bale wire it to your muffler. Drive home with your trophy and when you arrive your dinner will be done. Be sure to share that liver with Joe Dirt.

Last edited:

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom