BEST METAL/STEEL BUILDING FOR THE $$$???

elkassassin

Long Time Member
Not Buying or Building one!

Just wondering What You Guys think are the Best Brands for the Money?

I Like The 'RED IRON' Framed Buildings for their Strength!

Wondering about the Buildings that are Using the 2-1/2"-3" Square Galvanized Frames?

I have a 36 by 40 wood framed building covered with steel siding and roof. It’s been great. Built for me Cleary Building Co out of Payson Utah. Strong and well built.
I’ve heard good things about the buildings built by CO building out of Richfield too.

If you want to be amazed at steel building prices Google steel building kits in Florida. It’s crazy how cheap they are.

Cleary has been doing most of the shops and hay barns around here for the last few years. Doing one just down the road right now.

Call around to those metal building places and ask what they have on hand. They get rid of cancelled orders cheap sometimes, if you can be flexible on dimensions. I can't help but imagine there have cancellations and delays recently.

The building we just ordered took about 3 months. It was a custom design though.

I looked online for a couple of years, finally decided on an Absolute Steel building. We're using a 24 X 40, plus an 8X40 covered porch. Cost for the building only, including assembly crew deliver and assemble, was less than 18K.

I looked online for a couple of years, finally decided on an Absolute Steel building. We're using a 24 X 40, plus an 8X40 covered porch. Cost for the building only, including assembly crew deliver and assemble, was less than 18K.
This building has 2X3, and 2X4 galvanized steel frame, and is engineered to handle 100 mph winds, 60 inch snow load.

Pacific Metal Buildings have some good ones. Price is very reasonable and they do a great job installing them.

I'd go with the post frame metal sided building. They withstand anything a full steel structure will. Have to by code I bet. Way easier to insulate and finish on the interior. There's a company near me that can build one cheaper than the GC I work for. mtmuley

So Homer?

You Think the Modern Day Wood Products/Buried Posts Last a Long Time Around here Huh?

Now If the Wood was Sitting on Cement & Sealed So Moisture Couldn't Get to it I Don't see a Problem!

I Know a Local Here that Thought He was Saving Money by Going with a Pole Barn!

6 Years & The Treated Poles/Posts are gone!

Just Sayin!

This AIN'T KALI!

Our Weather Eats any kind of Wood up around here!
I don't live too far from you elk, and from my observations there is quite a few old wood barns around that been standing for more than 100 years. From what I have understood low humidity is alot better on wood than high humidity.

I don't know about Utah but in Kali we quit putting wood in the ground 100 years ago and exterior wood is cedar or redwood.

I've never been a fan of bag insulation in metal buildings. Seems like the plastic is always getting cut or ripped open. Mom and dad had a 24x36, but after years of washing drywall tools in one side and him working on old cars on the other, that insulation was becoming pretty nasty

I Won't Argue that notdon!

But Do You Realize the Difference in the Quality of Wood of Today compared to back in the Day?

When I Was a Kid!

Redwood Lumber You Bought at the Lumber Store Was Solid Red!

This New Style Redwood at the Lumber Stores Now is a Joke!

More White than Red & New/Fast Growth YOUNG Trees!

And Talk about F'N CROOKED!

Where's the Good Old KILN Dried Process went?

You Think Beetle Kill Lumber is Good?

The Sshhiittt Ain't even Good for Firewood!

Let alone Lumber!

When Wafer Board/OSB first Came Out I Had My Doubts!

They Were BRAGGING it up to be as Goods as Plywood!

I Do My Own Testing on a few items now & Then!

I Took a New Partial Sheet of OSB & a Partial Sheet of Plywood & Set them out in Our Weather!

In 2 Years the OSB was done & Rotted away!

The Plywood layed there for 18 years before it was in the same condition as the OSB that only lasted 2 Years!

Granted!

You Get the OSB Covered up & out of the Elements it serves it's purpose!

Not Long after OSB showed up they Ruined the Plywood as Well by finding ways to Make it Cheaper & with Less Glue!

If You Think there's anything Quality Built anymore You Might wanna take a 2nd look!

I don't live too far from you elk, and from my observations there is quite a few old wood barns around that been standing for more than 100 years. From what I have understood low humidity is alot better on wood than high humidity.

I'll Agree with that Hossy!

The Insulation needs to be covered up/Protected!

I've never been a fan of bag insulation in metal buildings. Seems like the plastic is always getting cut or ripped open. Mom and dad had a 24x36, but after years of washing drywall tools in one side and him working on old cars on the other, that insulation was becoming pretty nasty

I'll bet Hossy see's this more than me?

People Find the Best Prices on Lumber Packages!

The Delivery Boys Don't Bring/Have a Forklift to Unload their Loads!

So They Put Her in 'R' and go as fast as they can then hit the Brakes to slide the Load off!

Alot of Time it Breaks the Bands on the Lumber!

Wood Scattered everywhere!

You Think the Delivery Boy Cares?

You'd Best Get that TRASH Nailed in Quick!

The Sun hits it for a Few Days & It's So CROOKED it shouldn't be used!

But Piss on that!

You Think These South of the Border Framers Give a RAT'S ASS?

Back in the day we had a plywood mill that made exterior plywood siding made from old growth redwood logs. The logs had to be steamed before they could be run through the lathe. My dad used it on his house back in the 60's and it's still looks good. It's my neighbors house so I see it every day.

The lumber is a joke. Once upon a time framers would at least eyeball straight.

The sheetrock is sluried so full of air at the plants its basically baby powder held together with paper.

Put that craps on a twisted 2x4 and when that lumber finally dries it literally explodes. We have a new phenomenom of popped screws.

Did a flip last year. They tore out 1976 sheetrock. I took a chunk to the supply yard to give to the rep so he could see what the difference was.

Its all garbage.

The engineering on houses now is spectacular. The crap used to put them together, I m surprised more dont just fall down.

Ever notice how many flood/disaster companies there are now days? No coincidence that they became a thing as the materials took a dive

Elkassassin you are correct and they burn faster too. If a modern day house starts on fire there is not too many the fire department will save.
That good red wood eel is talking about is so dense and solid it takes a blow tourch to start it on fire.

Our Victorian farm house is solid redwood that was built in 1888 and still in excellent condition. The redwood they used then was only the "heart" redwood and no sap redwood that will rot due to moisture. Today if you buy redwood, you get a lot of the sap redwood in it. If you request only heart redwood, the price went up sky high due to the scarcity of solid heart redwood.
Those huge old growth redwood trees are not being cut down today where most of the heart redwood came from.
RELH

IMG_5215.jpg

Back in the old days people here on the northwest Kali coast used redwood bark for insulation as it is highly fire resistant. It looks and feels like fiberglass insulation when shredded.

I wouldn't use redwood today for anything but appearance. The 2nd and 3rd growth redwood is junk, even the heart wood.

Hey Hossy,Eel & RELH!

I Had To Buy Some REDWOOD Heart a Few Years Back!

Some of the Heaviest/Expensive Wood I've ever Dealt With!

Government Spec'ed With No Exceptions!

Redwood is very heavy when it's green but pretty light when dry. It's also very brittle and not really suited for framing lumber.

There was an old slurry pipeline here at a CO molybdenum mine that was made from redwood heartwood. It was somewhere in the neighborhood of 48" diameter, and was a bunch of 2x6" ish boards aligned longitudinally, held together by steel hoops. Think of a really long barrel without ends.

Anyway, it was beautiful wood and must have been worth a fortune. We demolished about 5 miles of that pipeline as I recall. Pushed all that wood off the edge of a waste pile, a pile as big as a walmart, and buried it with D10's. :cry:

There was an old slurry pipeline here at a CO molybdenum mine that was made from redwood heartwood. It was somewhere in the neighborhood of 48" diameter, and was a bunch of 2x6" ish boards aligned longitudinally, held together by steel hoops. Think of a really long barrel without ends.

Anyway, it was beautiful wood and must have been worth a fortune. We demolished about 5 miles of that pipeline as I recall. Pushed all that wood off the edge of a waste pile, a pile as big as a walmart, and buried it with D10's. :cry:
Ouch. mtmuley

Must of been a Government Job?

Must of been a Government Job?
Nah....Phelps Dodge. If it had been taxpayer $, we would have had rail cars full of bull$hit paperwork and modular buildings full of scientists figuring out the carbon offsets and other such value-added features that the lobbyists think the taxpayers want.

They were ruthlessly capitalist and were willing to pay for performance. It was a double edged sword and I had a love-hate thing for them. But we did some amazing things for them.

I bought my steel building on line , a good deal but doesn’t include roll up doors or man doors , 50 x 100 x 20 I got two roll ups and 2 doors , about $ 27,000 that was 2006 my cement foundation was $30,000 plus school fees and other stuff , I wasn’t required sprinkler system at that time

I bought my steel building on line , a good deal but doesn’t include roll up doors or man doors , 50 x 100 x 20 I got two roll ups and 2 doors , about $ 27,000 that was 2006 my cement foundation was $30,000 plus school fees and other stuff , I wasn’t required sprinkler system at that time
Is that your man cave?:)

Try looking at MBO Metal building outlet Denver Colo.
look under "used building" the first letters are the state the building are located in. You can find some good deals on there.
Just make sure they will meet code( wind, snow load, seismic) for your area. If you call to talk to a REP ask for Anthony.
I get guys trying to sell me east coast building that WOULDN'T meet the seismic codes out here. They tell the county/ city would pass it . I say if they wouldn't let you put it up, they wouldn't let me put it up either.

Plenty of companies sell a good building package, the trick is to get the good crew to build it. Get the wrong crew and you'll wind up with a pos, no matter which company you went with.

I had a contractor building my 40x50 man cave with Mueller Inc products. It’s as good as a commercial building on my acreage, could not be happier. You can building to your own specs on their interactive website.

CF436E28-8407-4D95-9AD5-9A55A51DFD64.jpeg

36569745-BC2D-4088-A765-EB20DEB3F1ED.jpeg

A wooden building is stronger than a steel building any day of the week Period! Now I read a few of the posts above talking about sh$tting workmanship which that’s a totally different arugement. The redwood house very cool and I agree, but it has been taking care of. Bessy, you’ll like this I stained 4) 1”x8” x 8’ #3 pine grade from Lowe’s it’s junk! I wanted to prove a point about how moisture ruins wood. So I stained front and back and left and right edges but heres the capper stain the ends. It’s that simple by staining the ends moisture can not get in the wood keeping it from warping, cupping etc. Its still leaNing up against the maple tree in my back yard I’ll scrape the bird poop off and show you what I mean.
Steel vs Wood, two duplexes were being built right next to each other and were set on fire a few weeks apart right, one had a steel beam and the other a wooden beam my partner and I built out of 2”x10” glued and nailed. We framed both Duplexes but because of an error we have to make the one beam.
We’ll when it got hot the steel collapsed and when it did all the sides folded into the middle and it was a total loss. Now the wooden beam had burn stops but was still intact and the loss was very small because the building was still standing.

joe

Joe, I respectfully disagree. From a strength of materials perspective steel wins hands down.

Think about why they build all those tall buildings out of 2x4's and bridges like the Golden Gate out of bamboo.

They drive trains on steel 2x6's.

Last edited:
There’s a member on MM that knows a lot about those steel buildings I just can’t remember who it is.

Joe

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom