Best mule deer and elk state

D

davehaze

Hi, I'm looking to relocate from Texas to either Colorado or Utah and would like some opinions and suggestions to which state and where in the state would you choose to live to hunt mule deer and elk. Thanks!

I'm a Colorado native...so I'd suggest this great state from a number of animals and ease of getting a tag certainly for elk. Elk tags are very easy to get either over the counter or via the draw. I've actually been able to hunt archery for either sex and to get a leftover cow tag for the last few years.

Deer is all draw here, but you can do as I do and draw a leftover tag every year and still build points for a trophy unit - best of both worlds.

I've never hunted Utah, but I hear that they have some huge bulls, but it can take decades to draw a tag...also tough to get a beer in some places over there?

If you are a skier, the guys from Utah will tell you they get better snow, but we debate that all the time.

You didn't specify what type of weapon you are using - that may have an impact on your decison.

So, I don't think you can go wrong heading to Colorado, but I may be somewhat jaded.

Hope that helps.

I'm also a Colorado native. Colorado is the best place hands down if you want to hunt multiple animals each and every year. Other states are better for trophy hunting but for the waits you have to endure it's better to live and hunt here and apply out of state for those hunts you have to wait for.

Ok, so what are some of the best areas in Colorado to hunt mule deer and elk?

>Ok, so what are some of
>the best areas in Colorado
>to hunt mule deer and
>elk?

Just about anywhere West of I-25 will put you in good areas for both animals. Obviously, some are better than others, but we have a lot of public land to hunt.

Plus, once you become a resident, you are eligible to draw a tag for Ranching For Wildlife (RFW) properties. RFW allows you to hunt private land that most folks pay big bucks to hunt, and all it costs us is the normal price of a tag.

I have hunted two RFW properties in the past and I am going to hunt a third this year for elk. I drew an either-sex tag at Deakins Ranch and they give you a voucher you can use to purchase a cow tag that's good for the same time. Hopefully I can fill my freezer up this year!

MSgt, USAF
1984 to present

MSGT USAF
Wanted to touch bases with you. Not trying to steal this thread, Sorry!! I noticed TennVol and MSGT USAF. I am AF retired plus Civil Service (all AF) retired. I am also fm W TN, Dyer to be exact, even if it was 47 yrs ago I lived there. I still go back there to hunt and will prob do so next month.
[email protected] Thanks Ray

I moved to Craig Colorado from the Ogden Valley area of Utah last Spring. I haven't even hunted here yet, but I will tell you this I am never going back to Utah to hunt deer or elk in their general tag areas!! Well, I shouldn't say that, I have max points for limited entry elk in Utah so I will burn those some year to hunt those huge bulls Utah have in the limited entry areas!! But that's the last time I'll ever spend money to hunt in Utah!!

I am truely happy to live in the Craig Colorado area!! It's looking to me as a hunters paradise!! I have spent alot of time this summer and fall to try and figure out the animals and areas! What a fun thing to do, lots of public land to chose from, and a lot of animals to see!!

My vote when compareing Utah and Colorado---- Colorado hands down is the place to be for General/Public land hunting, year in, year out!!!

Work to hunt!! Live to hunt!! And the rest spent keeping the wife happy!!

I've lived in TX, NM, and UT, and have year-round access to my in-laws summer home in CO. There are unique things where TX, NM, and UT excel, but for all around deer and elk, I'd go with CO, and apply to others. Mix WY in the out-of-state apps too.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom