Votes: 7 4.9%
  • 7mm Rem Mag

Votes: 53 37.3%
  • 30-06

Votes: 9 6.3%
  • Other

Votes: 27 19.0%

• Total voters
As long as, The shooter does, their job any 1,of the calibers.listed are extremely capable for taking Any big game animal in north America,
My personal choice and the only Caliber I've ever used in 33 yrs of big game hunting for everything from wood chucks to an Alaskan brown bear is the 280ai pushing hrndy 162 grain eldx @3030 fps it just flat out kills,

Last edited:
I’ve got a 300 rum that I use mainly for elk. However, I have killed a few deer with it. First buck was 280 yards shooting 200 gr accubond backed by retumbo powder. It put a fist-sized hole in it and dumped it with one bullet. Second buck was 420 yards straight up a hill using 200 gr Barnes LRX backed by retumbo powder. I hit it mid-body, just missing vitals but the shot/shock put it down without a problem. If you don’t mind ruining a little meat, that RUM will not disappoint. But within 300 yards, every gun you mentioned will do just fine.

I have taken deer with all the rounds listed except the 300 RUM & the 6.5 Creedmore, as well as several others not listed. My personal favorite deer calibers are:
1) 270 WSM: Browning A-Bolt Micro hunter, 22" barrel shooting the 130 Gr Ballistic Tip @ 3250 fps. She is an outstanding performer as far out there as I can accurately shoot from a field position (about 300-350 yards) & the whole package weighs in at under 7 lbs!

2) 270 Winchester: My second choice would be my Remington 700 BDL, shooting 130 gr Ballistic Tips @ 3100 fps. That was the only rifle I owned for several years and has taken more deer than I will admit to! Rifle weighs over 8 lbs scoped & loaded and she now rests quietly in the gun safe!

3) 300 Win Mag: I have also taken several deer with a 300 Win Mag, but the recoil from that beast just aint as much fun as it used to be! The 300 RUM that BlooDTRaCKeR mentions is even better but, without a break on it, that recoil is too hard for me to get used to.

The truth is that, any of the rounds listed are great deer rounds.
Some are just easier for us more seasoned hunters to shoot well!
Good luck on all your future adventures.

Elkchaser

My favorite was a 270 shooting 130 gr for deer and 150 gr for elk. Never had a problem with either one. Retired it and gave it to a grandson. He also has had good success with it. Also love the old 30-06. It's probably the most versatile of all. Not familiar with the 6.5 though.

I’ve shot them all as well, but my Favorite by far is my Tikka T3X, pushing the Hornady 145gr ELD-X. I used to shoot a 300RUM the 270WIN dumps them just as well, no complaints at all, it’s a Mule Deers nightmare.

I’ve got em with my 300 win mag and my 270, I like carrying the 270 it’s like carrying a 22 compared to my 300 mag

Growing up, I thought the .270 WIN was supposed to be the ultimate deer gun for out west! The best.

My first rifle was a 30-06 (my son shoots it now) and I hunt with a .338 win , 200 gr nosier & It hits them hard, shot placement is key to minimize meat loss.

I do not shoot over 300 yards.

If you are wondering best? I’d say they are all capable and good.

300 win mag 150 gr for deer. 200 gr for elk. First rifle was a 30.06 for deer and elk. Learned that I don’t like my 7mm.

Here’s what Bessy just sent me.

192A80FE-52B6-47DA-86F0-0021BFD35CBC.jpeg

Honestly I’ve seen so many one shot kills on animals in the past few years with the creedmoor with the 143 eldx....I’ve had literally 7 friends go buy one afterwards.

If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it

There will never be a better gun for deer than the 270. There are lots of them “just as good”, but none better.

I have a 7mm rem mag and a 300 win mag as well, but I don’t ever use them for deer.
For those that do, power too you, but they have no advantage over the 270.

Heading out Wednesday in search of a big Colorado Muley. Taking my Rem model 70 270 that I bought when I was 16. I’m 62 now so it has served me well

300 win. 178 eldx. I added a brake to a Tikka t3x. Its a joy to shoot. Knocks then down quick. I use same set up for elk. Win win.

For the distances 300-500 yards they are all the same. They will all do the job just fine, the deer won’t know the difference.

To me when you talk mule deer, I think open country and potential for long shots. I also think crossing canyons and lots of walking. That leads me to a lighter gun. Big Magnums light guns don’t work well IMO. The 7mms have the best balance of bullet weight and high BC and reasonable recoil. 280 AI, 7SAUM, gets my vote as best balance for mule deer. 6.5 PRC or SAUM are amongst my favorites as well.

If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it

There will never be a better gun for deer than the 270. There are lots of them “just as good”, but none better.

I have a 7mm rem mag and a 300 win mag as well, but I don’t ever use them for deer.
For those that do, power too you, but they have no advantage over the 270.

Heading out Wednesday in search of a big Colorado Muley. Taking my Rem model 70 270 that I bought when I was 16. I’m 62 now so it has served me well
I like it, I wear a flat brim hat and shoot a 270WIN, Go figure! Good luck on your hunt, I hope you score a big Old Muley

Have knocked down a few with .300 RUM, 200 gr Accubonds, and haven't had one take a step at ranges from 200 - 450. Burned up the factory barrel after about 900 rounds and just replaced it. If I can't get it fine-tuned to my liking will go with 6.5CM on my next hunt and give that a shot. Much lighter and definitely more pleasant to shoot, although I did go ahead and have my RUM replacement barrel threaded and put on a brake. It was a beast without one.

JT, you can’t use a 270 if you wear a flatty! Go get yourself a creedmore lol!
LOL!! I know, but I just can’t bring myself to do it. My Flatty looks good with the 270, ?... plus I like pissing off the CM’s...With all do respect I’m sure the CM is a fine rifle, I just prefer my Tikka 270WIN, flatty and all, ?

With a well placed bullet they will all work.
Over the years I have killed Deer with the following.
6.5 creed
270 Win
270WSM
30-06
7mm Rem mag
300 win mag
These days it’s the 6.5 creed for Antelope-Deer And 7mm for Deer- Elk

I’ve sold off all my guns bigger than a .223 that aren’t a 6.5 creed. I do have a handful of them tho. The reason is ballistic wise above a .223 and smaller than a .270 theres no reason to shoot anything else. Now factor in the cost. I practice with American Gunner 140 gr hollow points. You can’t even reload for what they cost.

At one time I had a .22-250, .25-06, 7mm-08, .30-06, 6.5 Sweede, .308, and 7mag. Now I have multiple guns in the same caliber and just buy as much of the same ammo as I can find. I reload to, but I still just want to stock pile as much creed as possible. Having a bunch of boxes of different calibers laying around got annoying. That’s just me tho.

Now I’m saving up for a real nice bigger gun that I’ve finally got all my paperwork and trust done for some cans. I can’t decide. 280ai, 7mag again, 28 Nosler, 300 prc?

I grew up reading Jack O Connor and his exploits shooting everything in N. America with the 270 so that's my preference but wouldn't hesitate taking any of them.

I always laugh at the whole caliber question. Like when I hear guys arguing about what caliber can and can’t kill elk. My response is I kill all mine with a pointy stick. Hit them in the right spot and don’t shoot farther then you actually can. Lot a poachers kill deer with a 22lr....

I’ve sold off all my guns bigger than a .223 that aren’t a 6.5 creed. I do have a handful of them tho. The reason is ballistic wise above a .223 and smaller than a .270 theres no reason to shoot anything else. Now factor in the cost. I practice with American Gunner 140 gr hollow points. You can’t even reload for what they cost.

At one time I had a .22-250, .25-06, 7mm-08, .30-06, 6.5 Sweede, .308, and 7mag. Now I have multiple guns in the same caliber and just buy as much of the same ammo as I can find. I reload to, but I still just want to stock pile as much creed as possible. Having a bunch of boxes of different calibers laying around got annoying. That’s just me tho.

Now I’m saving up for a real nice bigger gun that I’ve finally got all my paperwork and trust done for some cans. I can’t decide. 280ai, 7mag again, 28 Nosler, 300 prc?
I’ve always been opposed to selling my guns but recently had a change of heart. My father-in-law and recently my Dad passed away and I got a lot of there guns. I had 2 safes completely packed it was just stupid I would never shoot them all. So I sold some long rifles and got it down to 3 big game rifles I would use and can actually see in there. Pistols are a different story won’t sell any of those.

I shoot a 165 grain bullet from an '06. Not a fast cartridge, but it still dumps everything I shoot up to 450 yards, which is probably on the long end of responsible shooting for me. At close range, it tears up a deer pretty good. If I were to choose again, I would probably go with a .280, or even a 7mm-08 and 140 grain bullets.

.06 all day long! if it's within 300 yards, I'm using ol faithful.

I'm coming around to the 6.5 craze though. If I did go the 6.5 route, I go with the 6.5 PRC would be my choice. However, like Ultimag said, the 280AI is a bad mo-fo that is hard to beat for an all-around caliber.

.06 but i don't have the dough to get anything else! if i did get a new gun (for deer specifically), it would be .270 or 7mm. i like my gun pulling double duty for elk, too so i will prob stick with the .06. It does ruin a lot of meat if you get shoulder hit...
Also love the idea of the .280 (my friend has one) but it is probably hard to find bullets for that one.
with all that said my main gun for deer has become a .50 cal CVA Accura V2. Love mz hunting season out of my backpack!
I will revisit this question in a few years when i can't/don't want to backpack hunt anymore.

For me it’s the 6.5x47 lapua with 140/144 Berger’s. Behind that it’s a tie for second with the 6.5prc and 6mm creedmoor

When you do a little research, you'll find that the creedmoor has already been outclassed and outdated. The new king of the 6.5 kingdom is the 6.5 PRC.

When you do a little research, you'll find that the creedmoor has already been outclassed and outdated. The new king of the 6.5 kingdom is the 6.5 PRC.

So the 6.5 PRC outclasses the 6.5 Creedmoor? I can not argue against that. But by every measure the 270 does as well. Here are the stats for the PRC vs the 270. Both shooting the 145 ELD-X

First the 270

8AF56ACD-4022-49FF-879A-78BF24065FCB.png

And the 6.5.

2DA89EAA-BF94-4DAD-A6B2-B499B949D289.png

Not much difference out to 400 yards. But there is no questions the PRC comes out on top. And if I were hunting elk, I would opt for it. But for deer, the excess is.......excess.

Last edited:
300 win mag 150 gr for deer. 200 gr for elk. First rifle was a 30.06 for deer and elk. Learned that I don’t like my 7mm.
Interested in what drove you away from your 7mm

I started with an '06. Traded for a 7mm that is a tack driver. And later acquired a 300 WM. Never thought about using 150 for deer and 200 for elk.
Anyway, I like them both, for different reasons.

Own them both. The 6.5 prc is an awesome round. But the 6.5cm shines as fair as barrel life, low recoil, easy to reload for and has a wide array of options for factory ammo shooters.
Haven't seen anyone mention 6.5x284. I haven't taken any muleys with mine, but it may be my favorite caliber.
one of my all time favorites. My old man had shot the 6.5x284 Norma exclusively for the past 10 years now

I voted 7mm Reg Mag. However I actually shoot a 7mm LRM. 180 gr at 3050 fps. Its a killer out to the distance I am every shooting. That said, I also love my 25-06 and I think the 270 WSM is damn hard to beat as deer round, and the 27 Nosler is going to be a killer round as well. Ultimately 120-180 grain bullet at 2800-3200 fps to me is the ticket for deer...and there are a bunch of rounds in that broad stroke. Shoot what you're comfortable with and build confidence!

270 rules again! Got a nice buck with mine today! One shot with a 130 gr federal premium put him down. I am amazed at the body size of these bucks in eastern Colorado. I have taken bucks with bigger antlers, but the 2 that I have killed out east are noticeably heavier. This one was a mature buck but just a 4x3
5C2D2513-4F03-481E-893C-73445DEED7E9.jpeg

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom