Best Outer Layer/water proof Archery Hunt.

dancermatt

Sorry if this has been beat to death...I’m looking for a reliable outer wear/rain jacket for archery hunting so quiet.

There isn't any quiet rainwear but when its raining, it really doesn't matter any way. Just cause you hear it doesn't mean the animals do. I use Kuiu's packable stuff but I live in Utah so storms blow over fairly quick. I also have a Chugach set that works very well if you get a storm locked in for a few days.

I second the KUIU line up on the rainwear. They also have some hybrid options with waterproof layers that you can run as a stand alone garment without the rain gear. I wouldn’t recommend it for hunting the coast of Washington, but it’s a viable option.

If you want the very best breathable raingear I'd go with either Kuiu or Sitka. I've been abusing my Sitka raingear in Alaska, Wyo, and Colo for years and it's held up and functioned very well. Make sure your rain jacket has pitzips or you'll likely get wet from the inside out. If you can't quite afford the 2 above I'd also recommend Marmot Precip. They don't come in camo but if you search online you can get them for around $50 each. That's a bargain because they are almost as good as Sitka/Kuiu. If you are in Alaska or elsewhere that constantly rains and you won't be hiking much I'd also advise a pair of Helly Henson. They don't breath but are 100% waterproof. Again, only buy HH jackets with pitzips and possibly a ventilated back.

Dancer, are you looking for rain gear (aka, it is pouring rain and you are walking out to go hunt) or are you looking for rain gear (aka, it will get you through a shower while you are bow hunting?) Id say either side of that question you fall on you will have a different optimal piece. Also, what is your price point?

If you want a piece that will be the most universal in rain, wind, calm or short heavy rain. invest in a Sitka downpour jacket and less expensive rain pants. The downpour is the most quiet rain jacket on the market and is great in the wind and breaths a little when its not raining. Its perfect, but, the fact that the goretex breaths allows for super heavy rain to seep in when it gets logged.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom