Best Roosevelt unit

Then supertrucker is correct the further south you get the bigger the roosevelts get, usually start to look more like a rocky. Saddle mountain kicks out some pretty good bulls once in a while but I think that's slowed since the timber company permit sales have started and you don't have to bike a bunch of miles in. How many points are we talking and resident or non-resident?

Then supertrucker is correct the further south you get the bigger the roosevelts get, usually start to look more like a rocky. Saddle mountain kicks out some pretty good bulls once in a while but I think that's slowed since the timber company permit sales have started and you don't have to bike a bunch of miles in. How many points are we talking and resident or non-resident?
I am a non-resident and I have 24 points and my son has 10, so we are going probably put in together and see what we can do. I am just at the point at which I want to hunt with my son and have a great time rather than looking for the biggest thing around. Would like to shoot respectable bulls.
So that is my thought anyway

I am a non-resident and I have 24 points and my son has 10, so we are going probably put in together and see what we can do. I am just at the point at which I want to hunt with my son and have a great time rather than looking for the biggest thing around. Would like to shoot respectable bulls.
So that is my thought anyway
I wouldn't burn 24 points on any of our Roosevelt units, they just aren't that great. I've seen some dandy 300-340 bulls come out of OTC units though almost all of them came off of private ranches. I've taken one over 300 and screwed up on several others. With 24 points, I'd be holding out for one of the better NE Oregon tags. Powers can be good but I believe one of the larger tracts of private timber just changed hands and I'm not sure if they are selling permits or even allowing public access now. You can hunt Powers for spike only on a general tag if you want to see if it's worth burning the points for an archery hunt.

I wouldn't burn 24 points on any of our Roosevelt units, they just aren't that great. I've seen some dandy 300-340 bulls come out of OTC units though almost all of them came off of private ranches. I've taken one over 300 and screwed up on several others. With 24 points, I'd be holding out for one of the better NE Oregon tags. Powers can be good but I believe one of the larger tracts of private timber just changed hands and I'm not sure if they are selling permits or even allowing public access now. You can hunt Powers for spike only on a general tag if you want to see if it's worth burning the points for an archery hunt.
Thank you for info, I appreciate it.

Thank you for info, I appreciate it.
Another thing to remember with Oregon's messed up wildlife agency (ODFW), there are guide tags for non-residents. Outfitters can get up to half of the small allocation of non-resident tags to sell to their clients before the normal big game draw in June. Once you burn your points, or even before you use them, you can buy a tag from a guide and hunt with them without losing your preference points. The coastal unit guide tags are pretty reasonable with most guides. The outfitter tags for NE Oregon sell for a lot. Some people will buy one of them and a governor tag at an auction or raffle so they can hunt 2 bulls in one of the top units every year. Kind of a wacky system.

Another thing to remember with Oregon's messed up wildlife agency (ODFW), there are guide tags for non-residents. Outfitters can get up to half of the small allocation of non-resident tags to sell to their clients before the normal big game draw in June. Once you burn your points, or even before you use them, you can buy a tag from a guide and hunt with them without losing your preference points. The coastal unit guide tags are pretty reasonable with most guides. The outfitter tags for NE Oregon sell for a lot. Some people will buy one of them and a governor tag at an auction or raffle so they can hunt 2 bulls in one of the top units every year. Kind of a wacky system.
Thank you as I am familiar with the Landowner tags, as I have had a couple before from a buddy over on the eastern side. But it is crazy that you COULD have up to 2 bull tags.
One of the things that worries me, is that spike hunters are hunting the same time as the branch antlered bull, especially in the top units!

Thank you as I am familiar with the Landowner tags, as I have had a couple before from a buddy over on the eastern side. But it is crazy that you COULD have up to 2 bull tags.
One of the things that worries me, is that spike hunters are hunting the same time as the branch antlered bull, especially in the top units!
The landowner tags are different. They are only valid on their land but they can sell/donate up to half of the amount they are authorized to get to either resident or nonresident hunters. The guide/outfitter tags are taken from the non-res pool and are only good for non-residents. Those with deep pockets can buy a guide tag and buy a governor tag every year if they want to. Crazy system!

The spike hunters are supposed to be addressed via a public comment process next year. A lot of those tags don't get hunted and you rarely see a spike hunter miles into the wilderness. On paper it looks bad but in reality it isn't too bad but it sure would be nice if those hunts occurred at a different time. Realistically, we've been lucky enough to make friends with spike hunters we run into and share intel. I've came back to the trailer with a note on the door stating where a spike hunter saw a giant bull while hunting in those hard to draw units.

I agree with the others, 24 points is way way too much for a Roosevelt hunt. if you really want a Roosevelt, go with an outfitter and use his landowner tag or an easy draw tag. the best bulls will be on private anyway. AFTER you burn your points.

You have several good options look at Wold's numbers and make a plan.

There are some solid Roosevelt running around. Even in the big 3 there isn’t a guarantee of a 340+ bull more guys go there and get humbled then people like to say. But I agree go with a guide and kill a Roosevelt and use the points elsewhere. If your a archery hunter. Go that route with a good guide and kill a great roosie then go to the big 3 to burn the pts. High mountain outfitters kills big Roosevelt’s and is very selective of bulls and only takes 1 or 2 clients a year to focus on big Roosevelt’s.

There are some solid Roosevelt running around. Even in the big 3 there isn’t a guarantee of a 340+ bull more guys go there and get humbled then people like to say. But I agree go with a guide and kill a Roosevelt and use the points elsewhere. If your a archery hunter. Go that route with a good guide and kill a great roosie then go to the big 3 to burn the pts. High mountain outfitters kills big Roosevelt’s and is very selective of bulls and only takes 1 or 2 clients a year to focus on big Roosevelt’s.
Great info!! Thank you

I'm gonna second the others sentiment. I wouldn't burn points on a Roosie unless it's a bucket list hunt for you guys. If guided is an option, and you want a cool hunt with your son. I know exactly what I would do with your points (as long as your both can get up and down the hills of NEO). PM me if you want my opinion.

Back
Top Bottom