Best time to hunt moose?

MDQ

The north slope summit moose hunt runs 9/13-9/23 & 10/04-10/26. Having never hunted moose, I'm wondering if any time is better than another to hunt.

Is the rut during this time?

Does anyone have any book, video, or ? suggestions for learning about moose?

Thanks for any info or help!

Guy

those are both great times to hunt moose. i would lean more towards the 10/4 hunt. the rut will be full on by then. calling will be productive. put i wouldn't procrastinate on that hunt.. start hunting opening day, dont wait. latter part of october moose can start getting harder to find, they become very solitary, and hold up in remote feeding areas and do very little movement. the early hunt can be just as productive, calling still good. that time will be the transition time. you might se not much activity in the first few days then it will just start to escalate from there till mid oct. then it has the chance to fizzle. good luck..moose hunting is a blast

I think a lot will depend on the weather. If it is extremely hot in Sept the rut will be later and you can expect to see them early in the AM and very late in the PM. I know when hunting in B.C. that the best moose hunting with rut conditions was from about Sept 20th through first week of October. Good luck.

+1 on the October time-frame. Hunted in northern ID last 2 wks of Sept. last year and the foliage was too thick to really glass effectively. But really, anytime you can get out is the best time. :)

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom