best way to have velvet preserved?

sagefrog

I am looking into having the velvet preserved on my archery buck, and am having trouble deciding between formaldahyde, or some other type of injectable, and freeze drying. I have heard both good and bad about each. I put the rack in the freezer as soon as I finished caping the head. What do you taxidermists out there recommend to your clients and why? Also which will last and look better the longest?

Thanks

I use the old standby, a formaldahyde mixture injected or/and soaked into the velvet. (I would not recommend straight formaldahyde) Many have gone away from this method because it is dangerous. There are many other methods out there, some I have tried and some I havn't. I have never had huge faith in freeze dried taxidermy, but it is very popular for some aspects. I just like to use what works and has been proven. Just take your buck to a reputable taxidermist and have them inject/treat it, which should cost around $50 depending on the size of the buck.

-------------------------
www.sagebasin.com
-------------------------

The only method that is bug-proof is artificial velvet. If keeping the real velvet, I would go with freeze dried first, and injection second. Problem with injected velvet is it can still stink, and looks all matted down. Fresh velvet is fluffy.

I have heard of taxis soaking whole racks in methanol, and having great results.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom