BH 209 in stock

txhunter58

Long Time Member
Better hurry boys and girls!

None for me at that price. But will prob sell quickly.

Midway has it in stock now but hold onto your chest, if you buy any.
Screenshot_20221205-143039_Samsung Internet.jpg

As much as I really like Blackhorn 209 they have priced themselves beyond what I'm willing to pay. $155.98 you've got to be a fool to pay that unless you only shoot a dozen or fewer shots a year. I bought my first bottle of Triple 7 this year in about the last fifteen years.

Is It The Manufacturer?

Or The Retailer?

I'll Blame The Manufacturer for Stealing 2 OZ out of the KEG!
The Manufacturer of Blackhorn is in Canada. Hodgdon bought it from Western powders. The decrease in product size (shrinkflation) and huge price increase closely correlates with the timeline that Hodgdon purchased it from Western powders.
Whether the price increase was due to higher manufacturing costs or higher profit margins I do not know but I would guess it's a combination of both.
Hodgdon would be the one who decided to decrease the amount of powder per bottle. They can get away with higher pricing to a point because there really isn't any other product as good as Blackhorn. Since it was introduced the price has slowly increased every year but I think they've really priced themselves out of the market this time, I know it has for me.

Something better will come along, it always does in a free market.

It’s no one thing. I suspect shortages/ inflation due to Covid were the biggest factors in the shrinkflation. Getting raw materials, cost of those materials, and rising cost of manufacturing and labor have all been a part. Once it is in good supply again and it doesn’t sell well, the price will drop. But the 8 Oz is here to stay. There is no question that Western lost a bunch of money for all the months they had no product to sell.

And we are partly to blame. It we had not bought more than we needed (hoarded it) it wouldn’t have been so bad either.

I would normally have somewhere around 1 & 1/2 canisters about now. I have 5. Unless they come down in price, they will be my last 5

Last edited:
I remember last year when Cabelas had the 10 oz bottles for $50, and people complained that was too expensive, they'd never buy, or they'd wait for it to come down. Glad I bought as many as I could back then!

Its expensive sure, but if you shoot two cans a year it is still about the same as a tank of gas if you have big tank. My f150 has the 36 gallon. We are going to see prices level off and sizes/portions get smaller going forward. I guess next will be a box of rifle cartridges in a box of 16 not 20.

Its expensive sure, but if you shoot two cans a year it is still about the same as a tank of gas if you have big tank. My f150 has the 36 gallon. We are going to see prices level off and sizes/portions get smaller going forward. I guess next will be a box of rifle cartridges in a box of 16 not 20.
It doesn't matter if it's the price of a 36 gallon tank of gas, it's $160 a pound. It's a matter of principle. If you like being bent over then good for you. I shoot a lot more than 2 cans a year and I have five other hunters in my family.

How many different things do people make the same excuse "it's only as much as this" or "it's the cheapest part of the hunt". By the time you're done doing that with ten or twenty items that starts adding up.

Whether I can afford it or not doesn't matter. It's a matter of if it's worth the cost.

I love it. It’s the only powder I have used in years. It’s good, and IMO, it does things no other subs can do. But I did just fine before it came along. When you look at the current difference in price, it’s just not THAT much better than 777 or pyrodex.

It has crossed that line for me. Everyone has to make that decision for themselves

Good news! It’s NOT flying off the shelves. Still available at Powderhorn, Midsouth and Hodgdon.

But beware of scams. This seems legit in its name, but MUST be a scam

Last edited:
It doesn't matter if it's the price of a 36 gallon tank of gas, it's $160 a pound. It's a matter of principle. If you like being bent over then good for you. I shoot a lot more than 2 cans a year and I have five other hunters in my family.

How many different things do people make the same excuse "it's only as much as this" or "it's the cheapest part of the hunt". By the time you're done doing that with ten or twenty items that starts adding up.

Whether I can afford it or not doesn't matter. It's a matter of if it's worth the cost.
your dead on, yes, with 5 others shooting it that would get expensive quick. The fact is almost no one makes 8 percent more than they did the year before either so yes, 98 percent of the country is falling further behind every year. Tag and license fees are going up fast also.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom