BH209 available

Any chance you can use a different bullet? They're going to be really hard to find. Muzzloader.com web-site states Barnes won't be manufacturing again until 2023 and that's what I was told at Bass Pro as well. I do have a pack of 20 TEZ but it doesn't sound like that will help ya out.

Who knows. Blackhorn told us they were out until the fall. Then we get a trickle of the new 8 oz.

It will be interesting see the serial number of these bottles.

Getting 20% less for more money than the last batch. That is as bad as gasoline. But I expect gas to eventually come down. Prob not BH. After this year I may transition away from it.

Any chance you can use a different bullet? They're going to be really hard to find. Muzzloader.com web-site states Barnes won't be manufacturing again until 2023 and that's what I was told at Bass Pro as well. I do have a pack of 20 TEZ but it doesn't sound like that will help ya out.
I have 142 of the 290 gr TMZ so I'll be fine for working up a load and dialing it in to 300 yards. Just won't give me the chance to do a lot of extra shooting during the summer.

Takes Time For China To Change a 10 to an 8 on the Label!

Who knows. Blackhorn told us they were out until the fall. Then we get a trickle of the new 8 oz.

It will be interesting see the serial number of these bottles.

Getting 20% less for more money than the last batch. That is as bad as gasoline. But I expect gas to eventually come down. Prob not BH. After this year I may transition away from it.

Then and now. Circa 2015 for the red capped bottle...

01B7F697-0AA8-46BF-B126-1D237E930579.jpeg

Just as good in velocity and accuracy and ease of cleaning I would agree

As to cleanliness, residual between shots, and when you have to clean to prevent rust: not even close.

That said, it is to the point where the price outweighs the advantages.

Both of my bottles were still lot #41. So they still haven't made any more.

Must have found some hidden in a back storeroom.

I just opened a new bottle of blackhorn. Measured out 100 g volume and weighed it. It weighed 4.5 g more than the same volume from my previous bottle from a different lot.
Is that common?

I just opened a new bottle of blackhorn. Measured out 100 g volume and weighed it. It weighed 4.5 g more than the same volume from my previous bottle from a different lot.
Is that common?
That's why you should weigh every load.
I shoot 80grs by weight and each is measured exactly.

I just run it through my powder dispenser and put them in the little plastic viles.

When I first started hunting with a smokepole over 20 years ago we were told by the gun manufacturers, powder manufacturers, etc. that loads were to be measured by volume and not weight.

It seemed to me at the time that taking a load measured by volume and then weighing it to establish the equivalent load by weight would be the way to go to get consistent loads as opposed to pouring the powder into a powder measure and then striking off the top.

I then read a book on the subject that stated that blackpowder and blackpowder substitutes were inherently inefficient and due to this the slight variations in powder were of no concern and weighing the charges was therefore of no benefit. This was written before the advancement in powders (i.e. 777 & then Blackhorn 209) I believe.

So to this day based on what I read I am still just using a powder measure, tapping 10 times, and then striking off the top to obtain (hopefully) consistent loads.

Has anyone done a comparison between loads measured by volume and those measured by weight and obtained any empirical data via chronograph, group size, etc.?

Loads by volume have worked well for me over the years but it seems like a lot of guys on here are weighing their loads so it has sparked my curiosity on maybe rethinking my procedures…

Thanks,

Horniac

Is that common?
This is a much discussed topic elsewhere. Yes, Blackhorn weight has been changing slightly with every new lot. The current lot (41) is heavier and slower than previous lots.

Best practice is to volume measure a number of loads when you open a new bottle (lot) and average the weights. Then weigh out your loads using that average. Although, as long as you’re consistent, measuring by volume (and not worrying about weight) will be sufficient for the vast majority of hunters. You’ve just got to keep in mind that with each new lot you may have to tweak your volume slightly for max accuracy. With Blackhorn specifically, slight deviations in charge weight (up to a grain or more) do not appreciably impact accuracy at hunting distances.

Yes, Horniac, a number of guys have proven that accuracy/velocity/ES are minimally impacted by weighing charges vs volume measuring. The bottom line is consistency - if you volume measure consistently you’ll be just fine within typical muzzleloading ranges (say out to 300 yards). My tap/strike vol measurement method sounds similar to yours and when I weigh my volume loads to check consistency they are almost always within a half a grain.

I have never weighed, always volume. Don’t own a scale. Has always been accurate for me. What I do when I start using a new bottle/ lot # is shoot a 3 shot group with the same volume measurement. If accuracy is still good (small group), I make minor adjustments to sights if needed. Rarely needed.

If I were target shooting I might consider weighing, but for hunting I think it is just making more work for yourself. But can’t argue that it is the only way to get the same exact “Ka-boom”. Only hunt Colorado (open sights) and limit my shots to 150 yards so I don’t see much need to add work

And what has been suggested is not that much extra work. Each new lot is measured at 100gr volume and weighed. Repeat 10 times and average your weight. You can adjust the volume you are using based on that number. After that, you don’t have to weigh any more for the rest of that bottle. May do that some day when I retire and have more time.

Maybe I am lazy but I tap my power measure 3 times and then cut it off. As long as you are consistent, it prob doesn’t matter that much how many times you bump it

I am sure those that weigh every load would think I am lazy. But when I get 2-2.5” groups at 100 yards with open sights and I only shoot out to 150…..

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom