Biden to Ban Foreign Big Game Trophies?

HunterHarry

Long Time Member

Not just Africa...Canada, Mexico....Everything.

Joe Biden Voices Support for Banning the Import of Hunting Trophies

This past weekend, former Vice President Joe Biden hosted a virtual town hall in Illinois while campaigning for the 2020 Democratic presidential nomination. During the event he went on record as being opposed to the importation of animals hunted legally outside the United States. Such a ban is intended solely to stop outdoorsmen and women from hunting abroad a longtime goal of the uninformed anti-hunting groups to whom Joe Biden is politically pandering.

Similar to legislation like the federal CECIL Act or the Iconic African Species Protection Act in California that threaten hunters ’rights, an import ban would not only fail to increase protections on wildlife species in Africa and elsewhere, it would actively impede scientifically-backed conservation strategies managed by range states and funded primarily by hunting dollars spent in range countries.

Someone like Pete Fick, who is a wildlife guide in Zimbabwe’s Bubye Wildlife Conservancy, would have a lot to teach the former Vice President. Fick and conservationists like him are adamant that “killing some animals so the rest of them can live is an absolute necessity out here.” By allowing hunting inside the conservancy, Bubye has been able to increase their resources on hand to push back against efforts by those looking to develop wildlife habitat into agricultural spaces, as well as hire more full-time anti-poaching patrols inside the area. In fact, the park management authorities cover 80% of the Conservancy’s $2.5 million annual maintenance costs with hunting dollars.

Safari Club International (SCI) CEO W. Laird Hamberlin responded to Joe Biden’s statement, saying “If Joe Biden truly cared about international wildlife, he would spend less time falsely claiming he was a sponsor of the Endangered Species Act and more time studying the abundance of evidence from the scientific community that shows hunting is a critical component of many countries’ successful wildlife conservation programs. Many of the people who oppose our mission at SCI are quick to accost others for not believing in science when it comes to climate change, yet seem to forget that same talking point when confronted with science that supports conservation through sustainable use.

Maybe Joe thinks no one is paying attention because of our national crisis…” Hamberlin continued “but rest assured that SCI is watching and ready as ever to fight for our people’s right to hunt. While we may be practicing social distancing, I’d still like to invite the former Vice President’s campaign to engage with us here at Safari Club International so that we can work together to make the world a better place for humans and wildlife to healthily coexist.

Meh..... keeping thinking that way. There is a very liberal house and senate now. And what "guys" was Obama gonna take away?

I know this is preaching to the choir, but these idiots don’t know the damage they’d be doing to these precious pets they are trying to protect if they take away the incentive to hunt them.

I’m going to Africa in the somewhat foreseeable future for a different purpose, but planned to add some hunting days while I am there. I won’t do that anymore if I can’t bring anything back from the hunt.

It’s amazing to me that people that pride themselves on following “science” can’t see how damaging a policy like this will be.

I know this is preaching to the choir, but these idiots don’t know the damage they’d be doing to these precious pets they are trying to protect if they take away the incentive to hunt them.

I’m going to Africa in the somewhat foreseeable future for a different purpose, but planned to add some hunting days while I am there. I won’t do that anymore if I can’t bring anything back from the hunt.

It’s amazing to me that people that pride themselves on following “science” can’t see how damaging a policy like this will be.
The idiot is strong in these liberals.

The liberals have never been interested in "following the science". This was nothing more than a red herring to distract. Of course you can always buy off some liberal college professor to claim just about anything. Claiming "science" is just another fraud used as an excuse by the liberals to advance their agenda.
Bill

Oh, I think that people have some time here. I know it’s been reported that President Biden favors this, but I’m not sure it’s passing tomorrow. Something to be aware of and educate people on how damaging the policy would be for conservation efforts of these animals, but I wouldn’t be rushing to Africa tomorrow to beat the ban.

That said, nothing shocks me in politics anymore.

The liberals have never been interested in "following the science". This was nothing more than a red herring to distract. Of course you can always buy off some liberal college professor to claim just about anything. Claiming "science" is just another fraud used as an excuse by the liberals to advance their agenda.
Bill
These sorts of comments are funny. I agree liberals set aside science plenty of times, conservatives do it even more.

The States will follow up by banning residents from bringing game across state lines. If you think that can’t happen, just look at CA. They already did that with Mountain Lions.

Screen Shot 2021-01-25 at 1.27.10 PM.png

CA. just passed another law that no product or alligator skin can be sold in CA. or brought into CA. Those CA. cowboys will miss wearing their alligator skin cowboy boots. Pelosi may have to hide her expensive alligator purse.
RELH

My last African safari I didn't bring any animals back with me and I don't regret it at all. I just took lots of really good photos. Lots of people are doing this these days.

If you plan to bring animals back, by the time you are done paying an African taxidermist to dip and pack your trophies, have them shipped, pay for a customs broker if you don't live near a port, have them forwarded to your home and pay for taxidermy you could have payed for another safari (plains game that is).

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom