Big 3 Elk

LIK2HNT

Long Time Member
Merry Christmas everyone

Wondering how the elk hunting went this year on the Big 3. Sittings on 24 NR points and plan on hunting one of the units in the next few years. Trying to plan a scouting trip up to one of them this summer.
Thanks
Bill

Early heavy snow messed up a lot of 2nd season hunts this year . it also made some fantastic depending on your logistics .

These better hunts are always good . if it were me I'd try to draw the best tag my points would get me sooner than later. with the wolves coming on and Oregon's pitiful game management I don't see any reason time is on your side.

I assume you're looking at Ron Wold's statistics and know Wenaha is a few years away for you. so between the other 2 most locals consider Walla Walla the better one.

Looks like you would have drawn either the Emily or Walla Walla archery tag this year and would have been in the top point pool for Wenaha. I don't know what happened in the Wenaha draw, no non-resident drew a tag

Thanks everyone
Been trying to make up my mind and scout one of the units the last few years. Need to get my act together because my chance of drawing is near. I am leaning towards Wenaha Rifle. Less spike hunters than Emily. Archery would be great, but getting an elk out solo would be a challenge.
Thanks
Bill

Wenaha rife is the best elk hunt in the state, but it also takes the most points. It will probably take 25 this year and 26 next year if you look at the drawing trends. it goes up 1-2 points a year. but you never know .

The reason no non res drew is because the non res quota means 1 NR can draw, it doesn't guarantee 1 NR will. if residents draw all the tags before a NR number is drawn the draw is over, or if 1 NR draws then the draw is over for all the other NR applicants.

NR tag goes to an outfitter every other year so none available in the draw. Mt Emily usually has 2 NR archery tags so 1 available in the draw every year.

I thought there were 40 tags available so 2.5% would mean a non res tag every year and an outfitter tag every year, but maybe the total number dropped a bit, a non res did have as many points as any residents so should have drawn if there was a tag available so Drnaln must be correct and there must have been less than 40 total available

Which is better, bow season or rifle for big bulls

1 NR tag every other year in Wenaha & Walla Walla. Outfitters get the NR tag the other years. 1 NR tag is available in Mt Emily every year & other tag goes to the outfitters. Been that way for a long time!

Last edited:
Not really. the outfitter quota is 1 and the general draw quota is 1. 2 of the last 8 years a NR hasn't drawn a tag. the others a NR has drawn 1 . it's on Ron Wolds site.

Not really what? Outfitters don't get a tag from the NR pool every other year in 2 of the 3 units & every year in Mt Emily? If a NR tag wasn't drawn in Mt Emily it's only because he didn't have enough points. If a NR tag was applied for in Wenaha or Walla Walla in a year the outfitters would get the tag it is already gone!

I went back and looked at the draw report. There were 40 tags authorized and 38 issued for Wenaha, all to residents. I guess if a guy wants a tag better apply in odd years.

I haven't seen the 2020 stats but 38 tags is the usual. as I said non res hunters are limited to their quota but not guaranteed anything. if 38 residents have a better draw number than the best one a NR has then the NR is screwed. same as Montana does, I'm not saying it's fair but that's how it is.

As a 45 year OR resident and now a WA resident... Draw the 1st of them that you can draw and get out. The relationship to points and $ that it takes is not equal to the quality of the hunt. I'm out of the game in OR all together because it makes no sense compared to what you get in other states. Hell... I could draw multiple hunts in AZ as a NR that would blow away those hunts in OR when I was a res. Anyone of them will provide equal opportunity at a quality bull if you know how to hunt. Right now you're just blowing away $200 a year and gaining nothing.

I love wenaha and drew a few years ago love the area and spent a ton of time there over the last few years. Wolves are taking over and gets worse every year. Draw what you can now the wolves are taking over.

True story. and as the elk numbers drop the tags will be cut and it gets harder to draw. every hunt gets better or it gets worse and it's not getting better.

I did Walla Walla archery. Lost a big 360+ bull early, looked for him for 9 days and after not turning anything up decided to take my two kids and let them call me in a bull. I ended up killing a 315” bull with them standing right next to me.

Saw 2 bulls over 360”, once was big big and had a few dandy’s on camera. Had a great hunt and were in elk every single day. Passed up a half dozen bulls, a couple 330is bulls.

I would do the hunt again in a heartbeat. It was a blast, I liked it much better than Emily which I drew in 2013. There is rough country and easy country and elk in both.
7F7C9117-7852-4D13-B216-0D70D9819C60.jpeg

5BA083EB-2507-42E4-8E8B-CDEA5FE60092.jpeg

Success rates with rifle are much higher than archery. If I were picking I'd take whichever you could draw first I'd give Walla arhery the nod over Mt E archery. Wenaha is the best unit in the state, hands down. Archery and rifle are great. Mt E I would pick rifle over archery. THey are all great hunts and should produce a 300+ bull if you hunt it hard, with potential of much bigger obviously.

if the rut activity is good, hard to pass up the archery and it sounds like it typically is good, going to try Wenaha for sure

I assume you're looking at Ron Wold's statistics and know Wenaha is a few years away for you. so between the other 2 most locals consider Walla Walla the better one.

I don't know many people who would choose Walla Walla over Mt Emily.

If Wenaha is out of reach for you then try for Mt Emily rifle and you'll have a great hunt.

Both are great.

For a NR with 24 points Mt Emily is an easy choice this year as Wold says they would draw Mt Emily but have no chance in Walla Walla.

I'm a resident sitting on 16pts. Crazy that my hunting partners drew in 2013 and 2014 with 11 and 12 now it takes 17pts. for archery. If I don't draw the Walla Walla archery tag with either 16 or 17 I'll hold out for the rifle tag at that point.

I'm a resident sitting on 16pts. Crazy that my hunting partners drew in 2013 and 2014 with 11 and 12 now it takes 17pts. for archery. If I don't draw the Walla Walla archery tag with either 16 or 17 I'll hold out for the rifle tag at that point.
Man, you are in a tough spot, right behind the point creek wave for those units and methods.

if you don’t have a plan for mt Emily bow season can be a tough hunt. I second everyone who says use your points ASAP and don’t waste your time continuing to thru both time and money into Oregon’s mismanaged system.

I did Walla Walla archery. Lost a big 360+ bull early, looked for him for 9 days and after not turning anything up decided to take my two kids and let them call me in a bull. I ended up killing a 315” bull with them standing right next to me.

Saw 2 bulls over 360”, once was big big and had a few dandy’s on camera. Had a great hunt and were in elk every single day. Passed up a half dozen bulls, a couple 330is bulls.

I would do the hunt again in a heartbeat. It was a blast, I liked it much better than Emily which I drew in 2013. There is rough country and easy country and elk in both.
View attachment 22363
View attachment 22364

Congrats on a great hunt! Currently sitting with 17 points and am hoping for Walla Walla archery this year. Would love to chat with you about your hunt.

Back
Top Bottom