Big boots

jgriffin82

Guys, I've worn 14EE for damn near ever. I typically wear Lowas. This year, I noticed my toes were jamming into the the front of the boots. Ended up losing a few toenails. I'm looking for some 15EE's more. Anybody have any suggestions? I don't like really stiff mountain boots but, if that's the best option, I'll make them work. Thanks for any and all advice.

Jim

There is probably lots of custom boot makers in the country that can build a pair for you.

One company that I'm familiar with is White's Boots out of Spokane Wa. Use to be just work boots for ranchers, lineman, fire fighters etc. I just toured their site and they have many more now.
Several look to me like they'd be good hunting boots and maybe some not as stiff as the Lowa's you've been wearing. They're not cheap but my last pair of Lowa's wasn't either!

Thanks for the suggestion. I don't mind a hefty price if they'll last a few years. I wore custom White's working on the railroad 25 years ago. They were nearly $400 back then. Really well made boots. I wore them on my first Colorado hunt in 99. Logger boots make terrible hunting boots in my opinion! Anyhow, I'll check out their current lineup. I wear Lowa renegades currently. They aren't stiff and they are lightweight. That's what drew me to them

Jim

I agree with you that logger boots make terrible hunting boots but as you'll see when you check their site out they are now making quite a few different "non logging" boots.

I checked out White's last night. They have a ton of options now. Unfortunately, nothing big enough. I haven't looked at Lowas since I bought my current pair a few years ago. I was on their site earlier and saw that they now have 15EE in the renegade line. I'm gonna snag a pair and try them out.

Jim

See if Lathrop & Sons can help you out? They make custom Hunting/Hiking boots still I believe. Or at least they use too, good luck.

Whites kept their prices the same for most of my career but last year when I bought another pair they cost me $750. Not a custom built boot and not sure the sizing they offer but whites makes a hunting boot. I own a pair and have worn them for four or five years.

Guys, I've worn 14EE for damn near ever. I typically wear Lowas. This year, I noticed my toes were jamming into the the front of the boots. Ended up losing a few toenails. I'm looking for some 15EE's more. Anybody have any suggestions? I don't like really stiff mountain boots but, if that's the best option, I'll make them work. Thanks for any and all advice.

Jim
I wear a size 15, have flat feet and bad ankles. I've had excellent luck with Lathrop and Sons. Their boots and insoles are so good I bought an extra pair for backup. I do not want to ever not have a pair ready to go.
Hope this helps.

I used L&S in 2016 to "custom fit" boots and insoles for me. Long story short, I wasn't really impressed with the end result. I am curious about their boots though and I'm willing to give them a second chance. I've been looking at Schnees boots also. I think I may buy 4-5 different brands and see which ones fit best.

When you buy the 3D foot mapping kit from L&S for $150, does that $150 go towards the purchase of their boots? Or is it in addition to the $500 boot price?

Jim

Last edited:
I bought a pair of L&S boots, they didn't fit correctly and they walked me through the fitting process then fitted me in another set of boots. I had to sell the first pair as a used pair to someone else. I wore the new pair on one elk hunt in the Snake river area and they performed perfectly. I would guess I put on less then 50 miles during the season. I cleaned, a greased the boots as recommended, then put them away until the next year. I broke them out and took them to another snowy elk camp and the right boot leaked so much that I could ring water out of my sock several times during the day (yes I wore gaiters). The second day my left boot leaked just like the other. When I got back from my hunt I called them to let them know and sent them in for testing. Took them a few months to get back to me and they just told me that "yes they leak, but sometimes boots will leak" They offered me a 'discount' on a new pair of boots. The 'discount' was equal to a sale that they had run in early November. I didn't expect a free pair of boots, but at least give me a real discount. I got the boots back from them and will wear them with goretex socks or they will be my dry weather boots. Some time later I saw that L&S was starting to post a lot on social media, I commented about my leaky boots, but I also gave them credit for being one of the most comfortable pair of boots I had ever had. They didn't like my feedback and deleted the comment and made some smart comment about hearing the rest of the story. I posted again repeating my comment and not appreciative of the deleted post, then they blocked me. The complete story is posted on Rockslide with a picture of the comment that was deleted from Instagram.

I still stand by my comment that they are some of the best fitting and most comfortable boots I've ever had, but I will not do business with anyone that can't accept bad reviews. I've moved to Schnee's boots and have been thoroughly impressed.

Thanks for that info. I ended up getting a pair of Lowa Renegades in 15EE. I put about 30 miles and 5k in elevation gain on them last week, unloaded. I get one hotspot on my right heel, otherwise, no complaints. I'm very happy with them. They'll be my warm season boot.

I'm now on the hunt for insulated boots. I have very warm feet normally. I'm thinking a boot with about 200 gram insulation will be good for snow in sub zero temps. I wear heavy socks no matter the season. I've never hunted in insulated boots. However, last year, the Wyoming wind froze my toes I'm going to try them this year on some later hunts.

Jim

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom