Big bucks during muzzleloader season?

buckhorn

Very Active Member
LAST EDITED ON Mar-19-18 AT 07:08PM (MST)[p]Hello all
I'm getting close to 600 post so hopefully I'm learning how to do this correctly.
I love Big Buck Muley hunting and like talking to other folks that have a passion for it like I do.
I have given a lot of folks on this site whatever information I have to share when they ask for it, mostly by PMs.
Lately I have been researching and trying to decide which deer hunt to put in for in Colorado. I have been sending and receiving PMs and trying to gain as much knowledge as possible. Thanks to all of you that have been willing to share your knowledge with me.

I have 14 nonresident deer points.

The reason I have those points is that I have been hoping to draw a unit 44/3rd season but now at my age (61) I realize that is likely not going to happen. I am still in pretty good shape and can hunt hard but I want to get it done sooner than later. I'm afraid to burn my points on any other third season hunt since we haven't had any good storms for that season in recent years.
So here goes.
The season dates for muzzleloader hunt works out best for me.
My main question is has anyone hunted either the archery or muzzleloader season (elk or deer) recently?
Did you see any big bucks?
Based on the draw statistics which really is all I have to go on I am looking at unit 55. Last year 13 points guaranteed that hunt for muzzleloader.
With that said I am open for any suggestions I can get on any opportunities I may have.
I check my PMs regularly.
Thanks in advance and thanks again to those that have already offered their suggestions.

I find it easier to find mature bucks in muzzleloader season than rifle seasons. However, they're more of a challenge to get close to them in muzzleloader season.

It's much easier to kill a buck or bull when they're in the rut. They get stupid when they're horny. I prefer the challenge of game not in the rut. That would be muzzleloader for bucks and later rifle seasons for bulls.

This should be post 600 for me.
How about a little love for me now on this topic guys.
Thank you

Most of the deer are still on their summer range during muzzy season. 55 is big, very high country. If I was hunting this hunt I would backpack hunt above timberline. Not sure if that Is what you are looking for. I love that time of year in CO, but I have had my share of tag soup.

Rich

Also look at the eastern plains units, possibly private land hunt. There are some big deer pinyon canyon maneuver base and along the purgatory river.

I did the Colorado muzzleloader hunt in 2009. I found a taker buck scouting and then spent 9 days trying to get him. I found where he had slipped off too and actually had him within shooting range (under 150 yards) 4 times, but never could get a good shot. He wouldn't leave the thick timber and each time I saw him he was either in the pines where at 100+ yards, I couldn't see him well enough with open sights to shoot. Or other times he was in aspens that had high undergrowth that I couldn't get a bullet through.
It was a frustrating hunt. Open sights with no magnification is more limiting than what the gun is.

BUT, that hunt was before I got eye surgery and may have even been before I got contacts, so maybe it was my eyes that weren't working right. ha ha

I do think the muzzleloader hunts could be real good for anyone who can put in the time scouting and be able to put yourself in an area where a taker buck lives for 7 or so days of hunting. The same can be said for the 2nd season too. If you find one scouting, he'll quite likely still be there when the 2nd rifle hunt opens.

Brian Latturner
MonsterMuleys.com
LIKE MonsterMuleys.com
on Facebook!

Thanks to all of you folks that have provided suggestions and information.
I have made the decision on which hunt to apply for and that application has been submitted.
Good luck to everyone in the draws and good luck hunting this fall.
Thanks again

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom