Big Bull Hit by Car

D

Deadduck

I leave for work every morning @3:30 in the morning. I drive from West Side of Utah Lake, into the Salt Lake Valley. I take Redwood road, up over Camp Williams.
I am used to dodging deer, but this morning there was a huge bull elk that someone had hit. Cops were still there, but whoever hit it must have already been towed away. It was hard to see in the moonlight, but it looked like a nice 6 point bull. Boy, I hope I never hit one of those in my car!!!!!

Deadduck,
I take the same route every monring, except I leave at 6:00 A.M., but I didn't see that bull this morning. Where was it at? I am guessing probably around Camp Williams, that is where most of the deer get whacked, but I really don't remember much about the drive in this morning anyway.

Rut

Didn't see any bull this morning north of Camp Williams but at about 10 after six there were two pickups parked heading opposite directions and what looked like a big deer dead on the west side of the highway.

Here in Wyoming between Sundance and Spearfish South Dakota there is a migration route for elk from their winter range in the Black Hills to lower ground. I think it was about three years ago when I herd was crossing the Interstate and like two cars came around the bend right into the herd at 75 mph +! I believe it killed three people. Thats gotta suck.

Michael

An update; when I came home yesterday, there was no elk. Lots of glass and plastic car parts on the road, but no elk. I talked to one of my neighbors, who went by at @5:00, and he said there was 2 trucks loading something into there trucks, I am assuming that this was the elk.
All of you who travel this route, please be careful.

I have never hit an elk but I did nail a 2000 lb black angus bull at 40-45mph! At night, and in the rain. I went from 40-45mph to a dead stand-still in just a few feet. My wife hit an elk in her little Honda and hardly got a scratch. She hit it at 65mph, took the legs out and it went right over the top never touching the rest or the rig!
Bird-01.gif
075313.gif

Eric

I hit a 4 x 4 Desert Mulie over by Playas NM 4 years ago, $4500 damage, then the next year hit a Moo Cow over by Winston NM. $5500 damage, both after dark, My insurance had to pay for the Cow and the calf she was carrying. Now anytime I drive at night, I am pretty paronoid! I better start dodging better!

Nofear4

Sounds like the animals are playing dodgeball with cars,
What do you all think about the game crossings like they put up by Park City ? are they effective ? would they be usefull on that streach of highway ?

three years ago a guy at work hit 2 horses doing 75!!
totaled his new camero killed the horses put him in the hospital for a week! all in the san franciso bay area!
RM

NoFear

Very interesting. Hit a cow here in TX and its the owner of the cow that looses the cow AND pays for ALL your damage. Cows have no business on the roads. Its the owners liability.

Maybe your cow was free range and that changes things.

Jeff

B_F_D

I MEAN _E!!!

THEM GAME CROSSINGS UP BY PARK CITY HAS GOT MORE GAME KILLED BY FAR THAN BEFORE THEY FENCED IT OFF!!

WHAT A FRICKEN JOKE!!!

WHEN THEY FIRST STARTED BUILDING THEM I COULDN'T FIGURE OUT WHAT THE HELL THEY WERE BUILDING!!!

AGAIN!!!

WHAT A FRICKEN JOKE!!!

I HEARD SOME SCHOOL BOY GOT PAID BIG BUCKS FOR THE ENGINEERING!!!

WHAT A FRICKEN JOKE!!!

DO YOU REALLY THINK THEM DEER CAN SEE THEM COBBLE ROCKS WITH 3' OF SNOW ON THE GROUND???

WHAT A FRICKEN JOKE!!!

INVERTED FUNNEL ON THE OTHER SIDE!!!

IT FUNNELED THE GAME ONTO THE HIGHWAY AND GOT EM ALL KILLED BECAUSE THE GAME WOULDN'T GO STRAIGHT TO THE OTHER SIDE INTO THE INVERTED FUNNEL!!!

WHAT A FRICKEN JOKE!!!

THESE JOKERS KILLED MORE GAME WITH THEIR BRAINSTORM THAN EVER BEFORE!!!

I SEE THEY WENT IN AND BUILT BURMS WITH DIRT IN RANDOM PLACES ALONG THE FENCES,THIS HAPPENED AFTER 90% OF THE GAME WAS DECIMATED BY PEOPLE HITTING THEM!!!

WHAT A FRICKEN JOKE!!!

I WISHED I HAD A PICTURE OF THE DEER CROSSINGS,I'D SEND ONE TO BCBOY JUST TO LET HIM CONFIRM HOW STUPID HE THINKS UTARDS ARE!!!

THE SCHOOL BOY IDIOT HAS PROBABLY NEVER SEEN A MULE DEER IN THE WILD!!!

THE ONLY bobcat GETTING MORE AGGITATED BY THE MINUTE THINKING ABOUT THESE UTARD DEER CROSSINGS!!!

I wondered if the elk would eventually show up from the Oquirrh range down into there. I've seen a lot of good bucks killed on that portion of the road the past few years, wish they would figure something out.

My opinion is if people would just pay attention and do the damn speed limit 90% of animal collisions could be avoided.

bigbacks,
I don't think that's feasible. That's like expecting the animals to approach roads cautiously, look both ways before entering the roadway ,and then proceed w/ caution!!
IT's NOT GONNA HAPPEN !!!! ;_)

Maybe I'm just lucky but I usually see the animals standing on the side of the road before they jump out in front of me,or maybe I pay attention to my surroundings when I'm driving.Either way I've driven many many miles in deer and elk country and have never had an accident. As far as the animals looking both ways that might be easier to teach them than it is to get people to pay attention.

Jeff,

It was an open range Moo cow so I was liable, had I been on a regular highway, non-open range and the ranchers cow got out and I hit it, I believe he'd been responsible. O'Well

Bigbacks

The Buck jumped out of a Sunflower patch on the side of the road just as I approached, right as the sun was on the horizon out west, I was heading west and Had ZERO time to respond, It was all slow motion after I hit the Buck and I saw him fly thru the air (In slow Mo) about 20 feet off the ground. The Moo Cow was solid Black, in the very bottom of a dip (a drainage) on a straight stretch, didn't see it till I got on top of her about 30 yards. She initally ran off the side of the road then turned and ran right back out in front of me.

The lord works in mysterious ways, because about 2 minutes after I hit the cow, it landed on the side of the road and I wobbled my truck over to the opposite side of the road, then a very small, fiat looking car zoomed past like a bat out of Hell, had he hit that cow I am pretty sure it could have been a fatality, there would have been no time for him to stop either!

I quite possibly saved a life that night!

Nofear4

Umm, Bobcat,

Not to pick a fight or anything, but did you stop to think that the "inverted funnel" on the other side might just be to funnel deer from that side that want to cross? Deer don't just cross the road one way.

No need to explain, accidents happen but most of the time the driver is going too fast or not paying attention,I'm not judging you, just stating my opinion.

BIG BULL HIT BY CAR

You want to see road kill/HIWAY 89 in UTAH BETWEEN KANAB AND LAKE POWELL!(THE PAUSUGUNT)DURING MIGRATION!
You will see 30 cars pulled over at one time because they all hit DEER!
Jack

SureShot

WAS IT YOU THAT DESIGNED THESE???

NOT TO PICK A FIGHT OR NOTHING BUT NO ####!!!

THESE DEER CROSSINGS KILL DEER BOTH DIRECTIONS OF TRAVEL IF THEY'RE LUCKY ENOUGH TO GET A SECOND CHANCE,DID YOU EVER THINK OF THAT???

IT'S A PI$$ POOR IDE'ER,AND I DON'T CARE WHO KNOWS IT!!!

I'VE SEEN WAY MORE GAME GET KILLED SINCE THEY PUT THE CROSSINGS IN THAN EVER GOT KILLED BEFORE!!!

YOU BETTER CHECK IT OUT JUST A LITTLE BIT MORE,BECAUSE FOR MOST GAME IT'S A ONE WAY TICKET!!!(GET THE PICTURE???)

SORRY IF I MADE YOU MAD,MAYBE YOU KNOW THE IDIOT THAT INVENTED THEM???MAYBE HE OUGHT TO GET OUT OF THE OFFICE A LITTLE MORE OFTEN!!!

THE ONLY bobcat NOT AND NEVER LIKING THE PI$$ POOR ENGINEERING THAT WENT INTO THE DEATHTRAP DEER CROSSINGS!!!

RE: BIG BULL HIT BY CAR

We used to hunt up in Northern ca. near Alturas. there is a stretch of road between Alturas and Camby.
I nailed a Deer with my F150 going 35 MPH and did very little cosmetic damage although it was 800 dollars worth. There must have been at least 100 of them feeding right along the road morning and evening.

The locals said there are two kinds of drivers on that stretch of road. those that have hit Deer and those that are going to hit deer.
Bigbacks be careful!!! I'd knock on some wood if I were you.

Ironically, the moo cow and the buck were both hit on scouting trips. The buck cost me a coveted unit 27 muzzleloader deer hunt in NM. I was up scouting the unit. It put my f-150 in the body shop 2 weeks before the hunt with zero alternate means of off road transportation.

Excaliber is right, if you're in good Hunting country long enough, you ought to say your prayers & knock on wood.

A couple of years ago, I saw a Huge 6 x 6 Bull dead on the side of the road that had been struck by what looked to be an 18 wheeler from the skid marks, near Ruidoso NM. Coming back down the hill that evening, the huge Bull was gone!!!

Nofear4

Some people really need to learn how to drive when you see a deer. (I'm not saying any of you are these people, just some experience) Whenever I'm with other people in the car, and they see a deer on the side of the road just standing there, they keep going. The only time they stop is if the deer is in the middle of the road. However, I've been w/ a friend, and his mom was driving, when we saw three does on the side of the road, she just kept on clicking at 35 MPH, when out of nowhere, a doe jumps in front of us, and she hits it. The point I'm trying to make is that when you're driving, and see a deer, stop, turn off your headlights, and make sure the deer is off the road before continuing. Enough from me....

Michael

Michael~All Gods creatures welcome... right next to the mashed potatoes and gravy.

If I could slow my arrow down to 55 mph and put head lights on it. I'm sure some big old buck would run right into it!!!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom