Big Cal buck

rookieray

I am so excited, I have been trying to post these pics for a while but have not been able to get a hold of the hunter to ask permission. Finally talked to him and he gave the ok. This buck was shot in a general unit in 2007. I dont remember the exact score but the hunter told me it grossed 185. I know people get in trouble on this site for posting bogus scores, this is only what I was told I dont have the ability to score from a pic so I am not claiming this is a true 185 buck. In my limited experience this would be a huge buck in my eyes. You guys tell me what you think it would score. Enjoy the pics

47e160d46013e69f.jpg

47e160fa60f94e04.jpg

47e1612261c6e3ac.jpg

Thats a helluva buck no matter what he scores. He looks like he's been around a while. I'm not much for scoring bucks but in MY limited knowledge, doesn't look like a 185 class deer. I'd guess 170 or so. He'd be on my wall nonetheless!!

Steve

Steve, i'd have to go with what they said. That is not a 170 deer. weather it hits 185 or not, i'm thinking or saying that it's gross score with those cheaters, long tines, and mass, make it close.

A dandy buck for sure, one any Kali guy would be happy to put a tag on! Thanks for showing us!

Look at the second picture. Damn straight that buck grosses 185. Sweet buck!

I am curious, is this buck considered a typical or non-typical? Do the three cheaters automatically make it a non-typical. I dont quite understand where the line is drawn between being typical and non-typical. Obviously I know a four point frame it typical but how many extra points before a buck is considered non-typical. The reason I am asking is if this buck was a typical would it make the state record book?

I got a couple like your bud's here and i call them typicals, typicals with some non-typical points. My understanding of the difference between a typical and a non-typical has to do with which class you have your deer listed in the record book. Further, most prefer to have their deer listed in the record book catagory that their buck would rank the highest.

Some deer, like this one only bigger, may make the book in both catagories, typ and non-typ. If after it was measured, scored, it ended up potentually ranking 20th as a non-typ but only 50th as a typ, you probably would prefer to have it listed in the non-typical catagory where it would be ranked higher. You can make book in both catagories but you can't have it listed in both.

To me, a true non-typical buck has a lot more trash points than your bud's here. Then again someone calling it a non-typical wouldn't be wrong either cause it does have some non-typ points. There is no set number of points that a deer can get to make him be in one distinction or the other. Also, without any record book consideration, a deer could be called a non-typ, might only have 2 points on each side but if they were different enough from the normal configuration, like each point comming out of the head seperatly, it could rightly be considered a non- typ. There now, i supose i got you more confused than ever.

In "my" book, trash points are always an extra, never a deduction.

joey

"The reason I
am asking is if this
buck was a typical would
it make the state record
book?"

I doubt it very much but i'm not familar at all with the "State" record book. Scoring a deer is not difficult. i've had many friends bring their deer for me to score. That said, i'm only gonna give a guy a pretty close idea what it scores after i put tape measure and the adding machine to it. There are guys who are very good at it. I think it's fun to do and enjoy it very much.

Several things hurt the "net" score on this buck as a typical, mostly the tine length measurement differences. Without getting into all the g-# stuff, each point on one side helps to be the exact same length as the same point on the other side. Easy to see this buck would lose inches, off his score because of this. Inches = score. As a typical, those cheaters also would not score, actually be a deduction when getting a "net typical" score.

That is a Dandy California deer, Maybe not a record, who cares, i certainly wouldn't. The hunter should be very proud and excited to get such a trophy buck, i would.

Thanks Sageadvice, you did help clear things up a bit. You are right that the record doesnt matter. I am just curious as to where this buck ranks with other california bucks. I dont know if there is an official state record book or not. I come up with three different organizations that supposedly keep records of california big game when I search the internet. The California deer association is the only one that actually lists scores. They list nine bucks in the typical category for mule deer. Number one being 195 and change and the lowest scoring at 160 and change. If this record book is accurate I would think my friends would net somewhere in between those two numbers. Like I said I am just curious.

LAST EDITED ON Mar-20-08 AT 04:30PM (MST)[p]I'd take a guess that he might net typical score 165-170. That's not really very high. Not to put your bud's buck down at all but they must not have very many people bring in their deer if they have a 160 min. Calif deer hunting has really took a down slide these past 25 years. Even so, every year there are some toad smoker bucks that get shot. Many never get much heard about and never get scored let alone registered for one of those or any record books.

Do yourself a favor if you got a extra $20-30 or so and do a google search under books. enter "Records of North American Big Game". You will find for sale the "Boone and Crockett" record books. Usually there are several different years available. They are very collectable but any year or condition, used, that you choose, i think you would find informative and very interesting to read. Really, great books for the guy that hunts with "trophy" in mind!

Once you've read a year or two of these, you probably will start to look at trophies a different way. Don't get all wrapped up in this. You see a buck you want, don't mess around figuing what it might score, Shoot it!! Dosen't matter, if you like the buck, anyone who says different is either a friend giving you the business or a jerk.

Happy hunting rookieray!
joey

Thanks again. You never really hear about California as being a trophy state and I just figured that California didnt produce really big deer. It sounds like theres big bucks taken that you never see or hear about.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

California Guides & Outfitters

Western Wildlife Adventures

Offering some fine Blacktail Deer hunting, Wild Pig hunts, Turkey hunts and Waterfowl hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer the top private land hunts in all of California, for blacktail deer, elk, pigs, bison and turkeys.

G & J Outdoors

Offering Tule elk hunts for bulls and cows on a 17,000 acre Ranch in Laytonville, CA with 100% success.

Back
Top Bottom