Big couse deer taken in 23

G

gohunting

I good friend of has some picture of a big couse deer scored 118 and was taken on opening morning. I guess a guide found the deer in the summertime and shot some footage of the big buck. His customer got to havarsted the animal 12-13-02 1130am. I will try to get the picture off his hot mail. With how hot and no water this year I have see lots of deer in my december hunt. P.s I was told that a guide in Young has some footage of a possible world record.

Cant wait for the pictures..Hope you shoot a big one on your hunt......... Allen Taylor......

23coues.jpg

Got this off another message board. Supposedly killed in 23. I don't know the hunter but all I can say this deer is it is a HOG! Maybe this is the one you guys are talking about.

Bret Mattausch

Man if it werent for the country in the back ground Id say that was an eastern whitetail...nice....thanks

LAST EDITED ON Dec-22-02 AT 00:12AM (MST)[p]I would say it isn't a coues too' except that unit 23 has produced several GIANTS consistantly in the past..

Bura, What the Hell happened to you up there last year ;-)? I hear those big ones run around back and forth in front of the truck constantly up there! It is hard to miss them when they have horns that tall! You must not have had your 15 Swaro's then ;-)!

Bret Mattausch

I know the area, my son hunted mule deer there this year, and seen some nice whitetails, nothing like in the picture however, I have a friend that was a game and fish officer there many years ago and talked about the big coues deer harbored in the wilderness area of that unit, if you get the full story, I would like to know more....thanks Dan

Brett: we bedded one monster down as heavy as that one but not as tall. It was well over 100 and we only got about a 15 second look at him through the pines. We never saw him again despite staying there till dark. I didnt have 15's then, and really needed them. We were below this buck who was right under the ledge of the rim and there was no way to get above him without spooking him. This posted pictured buck is huge, it brings back frustrating memories, but good memories.......... Allen Taylor......

I really hope Bura can break his coues hunting record...2001- missed, 2002 missed, 2002-2003 Mexico ????????????????????????

hey BUra, you might want to find your mojo...I think it's up in 23 with your knife! hehe

Scott G.

Bura,

Are you really going to take this abuse from thes guys?

I think you better make 'em jealous. LOL.

dds - Darren
dds_sig.jpg

dds: I tried ignoring PW a few years ago, and things just got worse, so what I will do now, is just take it all in stride until I get to Mexico and kill a monster. I know I cant ask PW to post the pictures, he will mess with them and shrink the horns down digitally or something, so I will have to send them to you or Sniper. He's just upset that he cant go with me. Kinda like a baby getting weaned off breast milk.....He just needs to have a temper tantrum or two, then its all done. p.s. he is going after carp deer with a bow while I am gone. Guess coues have scared him to death. You cant fail if you dont try PW, maybe that is your safety net.....LOL.... Allen......

so does anyone know what this deer scores? is this the possible new world record?
allen you have missed for the past couple years? tell me about the shots how far, how big, hom many, how come? thats more than i had gotten till this year when i finally got one and boy did i take advantage of it lol, i shot enough times to last some hunters several years lol
casey

For the record, I'm not afraid of failing, just falling! I think it's more wanting Bura to try to find himself here in the AZ hutning world. Since he left the rainforest of the Pacific Northwest, he's been like a lost puppy trying to find his home. I realize those close shots of 50 yards in Washington were the most he's had to encounter. So shooting 300-400 yards here in AZ must be like trying to shoot a BB gun a mile. I can understand his trying to "feel secure" with his inadequacies and SHORT comings when it comes to handling guns bigger then he's used to. He's a real fish out of water. I must hand it to him thou, this "fish out of water" admits his failures, but unless he finds out what MOJO is, he's in for a LONG quest! Good luck old buddy...I'll be there in spirit...laughing all the way! hahahah!

And, just because I've missed half a dozen deer with a bow and yet to have connected in 12 years of trying proves I'm not afraid to fail. Infact I've gotten quite good at it!

Scott G.

Well, good luck to everyone! I will be glad to post pictures for those who are successful.

dds - Darren
dds_sig.jpg

In case everyone doesnt know, PW and I exchange these types of barbs every week. He is just feeling left out, because he normally packs out my animals and he cant make it to Mexico this year. He will get over it.....LOL.....Casey, last year I missed at two different rutting bucks moving through the pinyon patches up in unit 23. The first was 438 and the next was 459. Clean misses and I couldnt get closer, in each situation I picked the bucks up moving midday looking for does. PW is just rubbing it in, he was with me when I missed at 509 this year, and knows how bad I want a good buck. Once I am back from Mexico, I might let him see the monster I shoot in person if he minds his manners...... Allen Taylor......

This is a big deer but not close to a new world record. I would say this one is 120 or so.

there is no way that this deer is only 120 look how tall and wide he is he also has a lot of mass i dont think that he would go 144 like the world record but he is atleast 130
casey

Firstcoues.....
118 net is the real score on that deer according to where I got the picture from. Photos can be deceiving. It is only a 3 pointer and the mass isnt that impressive. Looks a litle thin to me compared to the length and width. How is your dads 36B hunt going? My buddy has a few nice (100-105 gross) deer on video down there he is waiting on some bigger deer though. I guess they really started rutting hard 2 days ago.
Good Luck
Bret M.

what part of 36b is he hunting? my dads partner missed at about a 105 and my dad almost shot at about a 90 inch forky. he was a huge fork. we have only seen one buck chasin the does and he was only about 70 inches other than that not veyr much activity.
casey

They are hunting all over 36B, and I can't say where the video deer came from because they will kill them on the last day if they can and so far no other hunters have been in there.

On a different note, when I had my tag we hunted Buenos Aires exclusively. Have you been into Buenos Aires and checked out the San Luis? I would if I had that tag. Good luck

Bret M.

That is him!!!!

Sorry guys I was out of town. I checked with Dave and that picture is the toad deer that was gotten out of unit 23. On a good note the deer in my unit 24b are starting to show signs of rutting finally!

Ken

RE: That is him!!!!

anyone know who it is in the photo? that's a nice buck. don't know if i've ever seen one with a bigger outside frame than that. real nice buck. the deer's body looks to be extra large also.

To RLH

My friend Dave know the Hunter well and I did not want to put his name (the hunter) without his ok. But the fact are true!

good hunting

RE: To RLH

Gohunt, that's cool. i was just real impressed by that buck. like i said, the outside frame is huge. also seems to be a real large carcass. i'm used to 75 or 80 lb.ers and this one looks to be way over 100. maybe 120 or so. just a nice buck all around. tell you pal congratulations. just spent 13 days with my son before he got one on monday, so i know what kind of work goes into getting a nice whitetail. nice 3x3, but not close to this one.

I think the deer you're all talking about is the deer that I shot on opening day?? I'll try to post a picture to confirm but it sure sounds like my deer. My deer has 20 inch main beams with 9.5 inch G2's. He's super high with nice mass. Approximately 15 inches per side. He grosses 117.5 and nets 113.5. My friend Jason Melde (NOT A GUIDE) found this deer in August and had been watching him all summer long. When he found out that I had a tag and he didn't, he asked me if I'd like the oppourtunity to shoot him. Well..what do you think I said??? He took me to see the deer and I was blown away. As far as coues deer taking the same paths, watering during mid day, and generally hanging out in the same area all year long, this super buck did all of that. Jason spotted this deer over a dozen times through out the year and he was ALWAYS in the same spot on the same hill at the same time with the same buddy. His buddy, by the way, is still alive and will score ~105". Needless to say, opening morning we spotted this monster on the same hill in the same spot and the rest is history. I made a 380 yard shot from Jaons's 300 Weatherby Mag. Jasons brother Dave and his uncle Chuck were all there to share in the harvesting of this magnificent coues deer. I can only estimate the deers weight at about 110 lbs from how heavy it felt for three of us carrying him out of the field. Thanks to Jason and Dave for letting me hunt their little piece of couse deer paradise and putting me on this deer. This deer was truly "A Gift".

Carl Pugliese

Carl, welcome to MM! Hang out with us we'd love to have another Coues fanatic join our happy band. Congratulations on that super buck. A friend like Jason is hard to come by. He certainly did his homework. What did he name him? I'm sure after watching him all that time he had named both those bucks. Can't wait to see your photo. The one that was posted here is not coming up. Bret, what's up with that. Again, welcome Carl.

Scott

Carl, welcome aboard...Great buck and I bet you are still reliving the moment.....Join the ranks of the "Hopelessly addicted coues fanatics"........ Allen Taylor......

that deer is huge, i cant believe he only nets 113!! i would guessed more like around the 120's congrats on making a great shot on a awesome buck. just goes to show that hard wokr dedicatition and scouting done right can pay off big!. congrats
casey

Big couse deer taken in 23 (photos)

Guys,
You'd think that I should know the real story since I'm the one that shot this deer. Even I have the story messed up!!!! Ha Ha Ha!!! The actual green score is: 116.5 gross and 114.5 net.
Hope these photos come out OK!!

Thanks,
Carl

1041970388690_cjpCoues1.jpg

1041970388200_cjpCoues2.jpg

RE: Big couse deer taken in 23 (photos)

The main frame on that buck is awesome, congrats on a great public land coues.

Casey,
Thanks for your comments. If my buck had brow tines more in proportion to the rest of the deers rack he would have easily been in the 120's.

Thanks again,
Carl

what caliber gun do use? that is one heck of a buck how old do u think he is? was he rutting at all or just the regular behavior? man i thought i was the man this year because i shot a 80 inch coues at 340 yards but he was my first. that is one heck of a buck, you are going to get him mounted right?
casey

Casey,
I used a 300 Weatherby Mag for a 380 yard shot. Read response #25 and #30 for more of the story. He wasn't rutting the morning I shot him and you bet I'm going to mount him!!! I'm not sure of the age?? I should have kept the teeth so someone that knows how to age deer could help me out. He was in great health and didn't look too very old but I realy have no idea. I may be going back to the unit with my bow at the end of the month so I may pick up the rest of the skull when I'm there.

And by the way, you are the man!!! I'm more proud of my first coues deer than any other. He was actually the first buck I spotted with binoculars, stalked and killed all on my own. He only scores about 50 to 60 inches but is still a trophy to me. Your 80 inch coues deer is a great trophy! Congratulations!!!

Carl

what do u mean the rest of the skull. u left part of it there? y did u do that? if you would like to read my whole story let me know and give me ur e amil and i will send it to you. congrats on a huge deer
casey
ps. how many deer have you killed and what was the biggest b4 this one?

Casey
Email your story to me at [email protected] I'd love to read about it! Also, when a deer is mounted you only use the part of the skull that is between the antlers and a little behind and infront of them. I've only killed 4 coues deer before this one (3 in unit 23)and the largest of them until now was a 94 inch buck from unit 32.

thanks,

Carl

Allen,
Thanks for welcoming me to your fanatic coues clan and yes, I'm probably going to be reliving that moment for a life time since this may be the biggest coues I ever take. He's certaintly the largest deer I've ever seen alive in the field. And congratulations to you on your fantastic coues from Mexico and your grand slam. What a buck!!! Very clean looking!!!

Carl Pugliese

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom