Big Game Draw 2018

Big_R

Hey guys just wondering if anyone knows the date on which the big game draw application period opens for the 2018 season? Also I have 4 preferance points and I'm thinking about a few different zones such as X3a, X3b, or X9a. Just curious on what you guys would put in for based on the points I have and I have no problem waiting another year in order to hunt a great spot.

The meeting for which tag quota proposals are discussed/submitted is April 13th or 16th. I wouldn't expect that there be will near the drastic moves (reductions in tag quotas) we saw in some zones last year. Having said that, what happened last year is going to lead to some noticeable point creep. I would guess the proposed quotas would be published not too long after the meeting, and I would think it would be best to see how those shake out first. You have some good choices listed but a swing in tag numbers could change things up.

Thank you Deerdon I never took that info into consideration but now that you mention it I 100% agree with you. Why wouldn't CA put a point restriction on like Wyoming just did in certain areas such as a 3 or 4 point restriction is beyond me. But I do believe it could help strengthen the deer numbers some, along with cutting back predator population, we could have a great place to hunt deer!

LAST EDITED ON Apr-01-18 AT 09:44AM (MST)[p]>Thank you Deerdon I never took
>that info into consideration but
>now that you mention it
>I 100% agree with you.
>Why wouldn't CA put a
>point restriction on like Wyoming
>just did in certain areas
>such as a 3 or
>4 point restriction is beyond
>me. But I do believe
>it could help strengthen the
>deer numbers some, along with
>cutting back predator population, we
>could have a great place
>to hunt deer!

A bunch of the state used to be 3 point or better. They found that it was not all that uncommon to find small forks that people would shoot...and leave because they were too small. The only buck this state protects are spikes. Unfortunately studies show that spikes are actually a genetically inferior deer. I would like to see the state go to visible horns like most other states. You want more deer....Fires and predator control is what we need. Utah started a bounty program on coyotes and I saw a statistic in which the deer population was up something like 30% is some areas. Add something like an additional $5 fee to every license sold...and then start a bounty on coyotes, and it would probably be shocking how fast the deer numbers increase in some areas. Cats, wolves and bears are another subject!

I'm impressed with your knowledge of the state. Have you had any luck calling coyotes in the high country? (Above 5000ft) if so what call do you use? I tried a simple rabbit call last time I was there and didn't have any luck. But I knew they were there. I got busted by two of them while knocking an arrow to shoot a buck and there yip yapping sent the buck off real quick!

Fish and Game said they did not recommend change in tags this year. The new big game booklet should be out soon too...

>You can begin on April 15th.
> In typical ca fashion
>the book will come out
>at the last minute.

On top of that they print and mail the book before the final tag quotas are approved. The quotas in the book are always last years numbers. It's common for the numbers to differ!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

California Guides & Outfitters

Western Wildlife Adventures

Offering some fine Blacktail Deer hunting, Wild Pig hunts, Turkey hunts and Waterfowl hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer the top private land hunts in all of California, for blacktail deer, elk, pigs, bison and turkeys.

G & J Outdoors

Offering Tule elk hunts for bulls and cows on a 17,000 acre Ranch in Laytonville, CA with 100% success.

Back
Top Bottom