Big game draws

I have seen results as early as June12th. Two years ago they did not come out till the 22nd and you would have thought the world was coming to a end.

Always plan on disappointment. Even with success, you will find more orange then open hillsides with animals anymore. Scout hard and hunt even harder.

Wonder if ODFW even knows no one cares about their draw anymore? I didn't even apply this year. I just want to use my 11 deer points and 4 elk points and be done with that state. Problem is those points are worthless. Considering just letting them go.

11 deer points will get you a tag worth having. a great tag ? no. but one worth hunting.

Oregon has a horribly managed game department and our deer numbers are inexcusable. but we still have some of the best sheep hunting in the world , some good pronghorn and elk hunting. yes it's hard to draw any quality tags but it can be done you just have to put in for the right hunts and accept they'll be few and far between.

Wonder if ODFW even knows no one cares about their draw anymore? I didn't even apply this year. I just want to use my 11 deer points and 4 elk points and be done with that state. Problem is those points are worthless. Considering just letting them go.
Agree wholeheartedly, lifetime Oregon resident and I really could care less about the draw here.

I'm also a lifetime resident and it's not that bad. I'm getting close to 60 now and I remember when the deer hunting was nothing short of fantastic and there were twice as many deer hunters as there are today. I also remember when seeing elk in the Ochoco unit was not a common event. when there were not huntable sheep numbers in very many places and you didn't know many people who'd ever drawn a pronghorn tag. when there was no turkey season in eastern Oregon.

While I agree our hunting sucks compared to some other states it's still worth trying for, with the possible exception of mule deer. but if you want to give up knock yourself out I need better draw odds that's for sure .

I'm also a lifetime resident and it's not that bad. I'm getting close to 60 now and I remember when the deer hunting was nothing short of fantastic and there were twice as many deer hunters as there are today. I also remember when seeing elk in the Ochoco unit was not a common event. when there were not huntable sheep numbers in very many places and you didn't know many people who'd ever drawn a pronghorn tag. when there was no turkey season in eastern Oregon.

While I agree our hunting sucks compared to some other states it's still worth trying for, with the possible exception of mule deer. but if you want to give up knock yourself out I need better draw odds that's for sure .
After being an OR resident for 45 years I am now a NR. That's why I'm giving up on it. If I still lived in OR I would hunt it just because it would be cheap and close, but as a NR it's a waste of time.

If you're looking at OR from a NR perspective then yes, walk away it's not worth it.

If you have points already burn them on the best hunt you can get and then walk away. it's a crime how poorly OR treats the NR hunter I wouldn't play that game .

If you're looking at OR from a NR perspective then yes, walk away it's not worth it.

If you have points already burn them on the best hunt you can get and then walk away. it's a crime how poorly OR treats the NR hunter I wouldn't play that game .
Yes, that is the plan. I'll do a Hart mt early archery deer hunt just because it's a place I always wanted to hunt. Elk not many options that interest me with 4-6 points. Will probably just let them go. I also have 12 antelope points I will let go. I already antelope hunted twice in OR and will just do WY from now on. I am moving to WY in the next year anyway so it's all kinda moot :)

I dont really want to give up on oregon because of the sheep draw and will have 24pts for deer and elk,and the only reason I have those pts is because I usually have a full schedule of tags by the time of the deadline to apply. Oregon is also starting to limit otc tags and it could help maybe. I think I have about 19 pts in the 600 series as well and I am a nr. I never used to worry about buying the lic. because I always was up there for waterfowl,but I dont go up there anymore. Well eventually when I need a hunt I will have my pick of anywhere for deer or elk, and I have my fill of tags this season , so its pt only again, come on sheep .

I dont really want to give up on oregon because of the sheep draw and will have 24pts for deer and elk,and the only reason I have those pts is because I usually have a full schedule of tags by the time of the deadline to apply. Oregon is also starting to limit otc tags and it could help maybe. I think I have about 19 pts in the 600 series as well and I am a nr. I never used to worry about buying the lic. because I always was up there for waterfowl,but I dont go up there anymore. Well eventually when I need a hunt I will have my pick of anywhere for deer or elk, and I have my fill of tags this season , so its pt only again, come on sheep .
I take it you have been applying for 24 years and haven’t drawn a sheep or mtn goat tag ? I’m in the same mindset as you, I purchase points because I’m hopeful to draw a sheep tag and that’s why I apply in Oregon and only reason I do.

My wife and I are trying to burn our points in the next two years while we are still residents. We should get our antelope tags this year. Wife has 19 elk points this year and the seed numbers say she missed. We will be sure to apply next year where she will be 100%. With the new elk rules coming out next year that might be a hard thing to do. I will use my 12 elk points somewhere. Likely Sled Springs archery but maybe I will put in with my wife for mill creek or something like that.

We will have 23 antlerless points next year. I have 3 friends with 22/23 points also. We will hunt the blue mountains whitetail tag. We have double the points we need to draw so we can float 5 people. We hope to maybe find someone with access to private to make a trade. If we do not find that kind of offer we will get a bunch of friends together and just wing it.

I am 0 for 40 on the sheep draw. I am sure once I am a non-resident I will return to hunt with friends from time to time. When I buy that NR license I will apply for sheep but I will no longer apply just to build points for everything else.

Before you blow those points on a whitetail tag you should know there was a huge die off of whitetails. On my lease I have about 25 whitetails usually. I saw one small bucks last year. They all vanished, so I would wait a bit before I would spend those points.

Rich

Before you blow those points on a whitetail tag you should know there was a huge die off of whitetails. On my lease I have about 25 whitetails usually. I saw one small bucks last year. They all vanished, so I would wait a bit before I would spend those points.

Rich
I heard of this. I did not know it was that bad though. I really do not want the 5 of us to use 110 points on does. My 3 friends can wait but my wife and I need to burn our points while we are still residents

I’m in Oregon just until I draw a Roosevelt tag then I’m out. Sitting on 14 non res points and need to just pull the trigger because every year it feels like throwing good money after bad.

I’m in Oregon just until I draw a Roosevelt tag then I’m out. Sitting on 14 non res points and need to just pull the trigger because every year it feels like throwing good money after bad.
There’s not a Roosevelt hunt here that’s controlled that’s better than a general tag imho.

Most Rosie hunts are general season. Besides Saddle Mountain that's an every other year depending if you're after a first season or second.

No doubt, there are controlled hunts that are still living on multiple decades old reputations and successes in our state. All the points and time invested in it, and barely a hunt that’s worth any points imho.

This is the unit I had always planned on drawing
If you do draw, I may be able to help with info. The southern Oregon hunters like many out there don't post and such. Brush nast country, have seen some great Rosie bow kills.

If you do draw, I may be able to help with info. The southern Oregon hunters like many out there don't post and such. Brush nast country, have seen some great Rosie bow kills.
Thank you. Do you think a guide is worth hiring if a guy was only going to hunt Oregon once for Rosie and be done or not worth it

Drew the Indigo muzzle loader deer tag, any info would be apprecated hope to find a good blacktail, pms good luck to everyone

Hiring a guide is always an advantage but the private land they can get you on is the biggest advantage to going guided.

The Roosevelt's aren't like the rocky's in many ways, they don't move around nearly as much and unless provoked they're not nearly as wild. so if they like a spot they may not venture far from it and many times the best ones are on private .

There's plenty of public ground too it's just a matter of what you want to do and what your expectations are.

Thank you. Do you think a guide is worth hiring if a guy was only going to hunt Oregon once for Rosie and be done or not worth it
Look at Soon Creek Outfitters or Eden Ridge. Also call Powers Ranch and check on their small Powers Unit property.

Back
Top Bottom