Big Game for Sale

tommyhawk429

"Perhaps I had been naïve, but this wasn’t something I’d associated with any type of Western hunting I’d ever do. This was the realm of the ultra-affluent"

Public lands are not for only the ultra-affluent, they are for everybody. An outfitter should not be allowed to sell an animal or it's coordinates for money if its on public land. It is not their asset to sell.

Boone and Crockett Club defines fair chase as “the ethical, sportsmanlike, and lawful pursuit and taking of any free-ranging wild, big game animal in a manner that does not give the hunter an improper or unfair advantage over the game animals.

I think we have gotten away from the idea of fair chase hunting to more of an entitled view. It is time to let legislators know that this type of hunting needs to change.

Contact your local legislator and discuss this matter; and also contact legislators that are on the Natural Resources and Agriculture Subcommittee. This is the subcommittee that would have the responsibility of reviewing and recommending legislation to the full legislature. Now is the time to bring issues such as this before legislators

House Committee - https://le.utah.gov/asp/interim/Commit.asp?Year=2020&Com=INTNAE
Senate Committee - https://le.utah.gov/asp/interim/Commit.asp?Year=2020&Com=INTNAE

Pretty hypocritical article. He drew the tag and hired an outfitter and hunted and killed a bull. And then has balls enough to say the system is broken? He could of gained more points from me if he turned the tag back. You can’t complain that the expo is not right and then go kill a moose with an expo tag!

If he didn't like the way the outfitter operated and the fact that he killed so quickly, he should have done it on his own (most do).
Seems to me that he got what he paid for and yet hinted that he was disappointed and started whining about it. (he even whined about the cheap Mexican food) Weird article to me.

Zeke

Not even split browtines? And I assume everybody knew it was going in a magazine?

In my opinion, the author should've said, "Thanks, but no thanks. We've got a week, let's go hunting."

Last edited:
Weird article and perspective by the author-sounds like sour grapes when the outcome didn’t go quite like he had dreamed it. The comparisons between his Montana and Utah hunt were just weird.

He could have had the same experience in Utah if he hadn’t paid someone to wipe his butt and hold his hand.

Seems he pretty well summed up corporate hunting in Utah. As well as capturing Doyles general attitude.

I agree with Doyle, who among us hasn't drawn a tag, then had a group of your friends and family come help, but not allow you to shoot another bull because someone paid more? Happens all the time. Guides, your old uncle Bob, they are the exact same?

"Its public land". Loggers, extractors, grazers, etc all pay to use the land. Doyle and his ilk contribute nothing. Sure wish I could get the State to give me my products/materials for free so I could profit off it. Its one hell of a gig the corporate hunting industry in Utah has. Its 100% gravy, 100% of the time.

But. If you have guns built for a hunt, are you not among the affluent?

Almost as though it's written with intent to show a "broken system". Especially the comment the flat brim guide made that threw his emoloyer under the bus...

Side note to the author: it wasn't an OIL tag.

Side note to the author: it wasn't an OIL tag.
I'm pretty sure if you draw at the Expo, you aren't then eligible for an OIL tag in the regular draw. However, if you've already drawn in the regular draw, you can still draw again at the Expo.

Is that right?

_________

Bottom line is I don't think many of us would have shot that bull, even DIY, on that tag in the first few minutes we got there. I feel like he was given bad counsel by the guide he hired with the expectation he was going to get expert help and advice. I doubt he would've had the same take on things if he hunted hard for five days or had shot a B&C bull right as he got there. It seems he didn't get the hunt OR the bull he was looking for.

Like I said above, he should've said, "no thanks, let's go hunting."

Last edited:
So many hunters need to realize that just because you drew a coveted tag doesn’t mean your guide is going to get you on a coveted trophy. Grizzly is right he had a week and you can say no thanks.

A Coveted Moose Tag Reveals the Complicated Reality of Western Big-Game Hunting​

He might be confused but it's not complicated. Everything he did he chose to do, from putting into the draw. to hiring Moss, to pulling the trigger. And then can't wait to apply again.

That is a bizarre story.

I think this guy got what he asked for..if you hire a guide and expect them to do all the work for you, you take what you get and he probably got that young guide canned anyway after what he said in the story so in way he got even, this world is full of people who think money will get them every thing and complain about it at the same time, typical dude

The scenario the author spoke of relative to the other bull and a sizable some does not surprise me one bit regarding the outfitter used...

At least he wore the appropriate pants.
"When pressed, he explained that another man had purchased a moose tag for his son and had spent a princely sum for Mossback guides and scouts to keep an eye on it—about $25,000 all told".
“Even if we could find that bull, I’d be fired if I let you kill it,” he said.
If I hired a guide and this was said to me I'd fire them on the spot.
I've guided hunters from all walks of life, from hunters that saved pennies to come hunt with us to others who flew in on their private jets. They ALL were treated with the same courtesy. I always hunted each hunter for the best animals we could find regardless of their financial status.
Sad hunting has turned into this.

Last edited:
"Even if we could find that bull, I'd be fired if I let you kill it"

I wonder if he is still on the payroll after saying this to a client?
My guess is "No".

Great story though, very well written.

Sounds like he enjoyed Betos at 1am.....Utah's finest Mexican after midnight! ?

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom