Big Game today, eel

Minimum order is 3. That $150, plus freight. For $150.00 we can fly out ODW and go puking with eel.

View attachment 61024

Each one is 2lbs. & up. So that's $25 per lb. max at 2 ea. BUT...the devil is in the details -- shipping is an ADDITIONAL $55 min. for up to 15 lbs. That would make each crab quite a bit more 'on the hoof,' so to speak

Am I reading right eel. Fisherman are getting a little over $3.00 a pound for live crab, when it opens for the commercial fleet. Grocery stores are charging $19.00 +/- a pound?

Sounds like the same problem beef growers are facing this fall.

At $7.00 per crab, you done well!!!!

I'll be curious how much the stores will be charging this year. They should be hitting the stores by the 4th or 5th. I'll report back.

Down south of here the commercial season is delayed because of the whales but we're whale free here., so I see a lot of out of town boats have moved into our harbor. I saw one boat from Monterey that we estimated had 400 pots on deck.

That's why the charter boats quit when the commercial season starts. They either get out of the way or get run over.

Am I reading right eel. Fisherman are getting a little over $3.00 a pound for live crab, when it opens for the commercial fleet. Grocery stores are charging $19.00 +/- a pound?

Sounds like the same problem beef growers are facing this fall.

At $7.00 per crab, you done well!!!!
That $19 is for measley snow crab clusters. Prices for king crab legs are ludicrous.

I'll be curious how much the stores will be charging this year. They should be hitting the stores by the 4th or 5th. I'll report back.

Down south of here the commercial season is delayed because of the whales but we're whale free here., so I see a lot of out of town boats have moved into our harbor. I saw one boat from Monterey that we estimated had 400 pots on deck.

That's why the charter boats quit when the commercial season starts. They either get out of the way or get run over.
Today at Safeway...

1638387395340.png

1638387950514.png

1638388035997.png

Last edited:
I just got back from a local supermarket and they'd just set out some fresh cooked local crabs. They cook them on site. The price tag said $9.99/lb. for whole crab. They looked like about 2 pounds each. Not huge but decent crab.

I just got back from a local supermarket and they'd just set out some fresh cooked local crabs. They cook them on site. The price tag said $9.99/lb. for whole crab. They looked like about 2 pounds each. Not huge but decent crab.
$9.99 is lot better than the $17.99 I posted above.

I have $9.99 that says Oregon beats, Utah tomorrow night. First two takers........ could win easy money. And I’ll throw in a 7 point incentive.....

Besides it will give a couple of ole ballers something to do after the sun goes down.....

At $9.99 I’d throw a party every Friday night!!!
It's our traditional Christmas eve dinner. Has been since I was a kid. Dungeness crab, homemade potato salad and sourdough bread buttered and toasted under the broiler. A simple dinner so the kids can get on with presents.

You’ve lived a high life eel. At our age, our family’s traditions are the best memories we’ve got.

I have $9.99 that says Oregon beats, Utah tomorrow night. First two takers........ could win easy money. And I’ll throw in a 7 point incentive.....

Besides it will give a couple of ole ballers something to do after the sun goes down.....
I'm sorta 'ambidextrous' on this one. Still, I think Utah will eke out the win but I'm not too shure! :rolleyes:

I'm sorta 'ambidextrous' on this one. Still, I think Utah will eke out the win but I'm not too shure! :rolleyes:
I’m beating Oregon comes out with their ears back....... they got a sore spot to heal over after their last meeting with the Utes. Those whippings have consequences.

All I have left to say about this is: Thanks.

Thanks for not taking my bet. I still have my $20 for a pound of crab. I think I’ll eat it while I’m watching the Rose Bowl.

I’ll like to see them play either Mich. or Ohio over Iowa, just for the sake of seeing Utah play a traditiinal
RB team. Either way I think Utah will loose but......... you just got to see my ineptitude when it comes to pickin winners and losers. ?

I’ll like to see them play either Mich. or Ohio over Iowa, just for the sake of seeing Utah play a traditiinal
RB team. Either way I think Utah will loose but......... you just got to see my ineptitude when it comes to pickin winners and losers. ?
We'll know more about 9:30 tonight. ;)

I should have added earlier that I despise both OSU & Michigan. So if OSU goes to the RB, I hope your Utes kick A$$. I'm 'ambidextrous' if it's Iowa, tho.

On another subject, National
Champion:

My picks:
Cincinnati vs Georgia
.Alabama vs Baylor

Winner play win for the final.

I’m just wishful thinking. Baylor certainly is a long shot but they have played some great games lately. I think Baylor could beat Michigan........ but don’t put any shock in my pick. Vegas has never called me......

On another subject, National
Champion:

My picks:
Cincinnati vs Georgia
.Alabama vs Baylor

Winner play win for the final.
Don't believe Baylor will be in the top tier for the playoffs. And it appears Ohio State will play your Utes in the RB after MI beat Iowa last night.

What a well rounded kid. If he stays healthy....look out.

When BC played Bishop Gorman in Las Vegas several years ago, Ellen & I ventured to the gambling mecca for the game. At the time, BG was rated in the top 5 by USA Today & Maxpreps. The BG quarterback went on the U of AZ where he started for a few years. A loss to BC was the only one on his record as the starter at BG.

For that game a kid named Jonathan Germano was BC's QB. When I watched the warm-up before the game, I was somewhat awed by his passing accuracy as he completed one after another to running receivers. He went on to QB at John Hopkins on a free ride because he was after the education instead of a life of football.

After watching Angeli this year, I think he's even better than Germano & will have an excellent career at ND & maybe more.

Incidentally, most of the senior starters on this year's team have college scholarship offers. Because of the quality education they get, many of the free rides are to top tier universities including the ivy league schools.

When BC played Bishop Gorman in Las Vegas several years ago, Ellen & I ventured to the gambling mecca for the game. At the time, BG was rated in the top 5 by USA Today & Maxpreps. The BG quarterback went on the U of AZ where he started for a few years. A loss to BC was the only one on his record as the starter at BG.

For that game a kid named Jonathan Germano was BC's QB. When I watched the warm-up before the game, I was somewhat awed by his passing accuracy as he completed one after another to running receivers. He went on to QB at John Hopkins on a free ride because he was after the education instead of a life of football.

After watching Angeli this year, I think he's even better than Germano & will have an excellent career at ND & maybe more.

Incidentally, most of the senior starters on this year's team have college scholarship offers. Because of the quality education they get, many of the free rides are to top tier universities including the ivy league schools.
I think Steve Angeli will be a winner in life, if not in football, and maybe both.

This just came up on my FB feed. It's $19.99 for 3 lbs. I have no idea what the shipping would be, tho.

This just came up on my FB feed. It's $19.99 for 3 lbs. I have no idea what the shipping would be, tho.

That's a steal. I completed the form for 6lbs, and it was $5.99 for shipping. Hard to believe?

I didn't trust it, so I passed. I've never eaten King Crab before.

That's a steal. I completed the form for 6lbs, and it was $5.99 for shipping. Hard to believe?

It comes by it’s name honestly.

It’s excellent in taste and texture. Only Royalty can afford it.

I see it at Costco most of the time. I look at the price but never pulled the trigger. A bucket list item maybe.
In the distant past:

When my wife was out of town for a day or two, and I got to be the top dog around here, I’d sneak in the back door of our super market and buy a pound, just for spite. That night me an the King would have dinner together. At current prices I have dinner with the feral
tom cat when the Boss is not here to check up on me.

In the distant past:

When my wife was out of town for a day or two, and I got to be the top dog around here, I’d sneak in the back door of our super market and buy a pound, just for spite. That night me an the King would have dinner together. At current prices I have dinner with the feral
tom cat when the Boss is not here to check up on me.
Your secret is safe with me, my brother.

I defintely like King crab. I'm not sure how to compare it to dungeness, tho. ?‍♂️

So do you think the deal I posted is a scam?

So I just filled it out for the following, but didn't pull the trigger. I did notice they take PayPal, which is sort of a protection, but I'm still leery.

1639849097185.png

It might not be a scam, but I don't see how they can ship fresh crab for $5.99. Unless it's been freeze dried. :) I shipped some crab to a friend in Redding, CA a few years ago (about 135 miles) and it was more than the crab was worth. I think like $40.

It might not be a scam, but I don't see how they can ship fresh crab for $5.99. Unless it's been freeze dried. :) I shipped some crab to a friend in Redding, CA a few years ago (about 135 miles) and it was more than the crab was worth. I think like $40.
Well I kinda agree. That said, I just read up on the PayPal buyer protection, and it seems it would cover it in total if it isn't delivered.

So I googled the phone number, which led to this site. It's a restaurant called King Crab. Both locations coincide with the addresses in the first link I posted.

Also found this:

So I googled the phone number, which led to this site. It's a restaurant called King Crab. Both locations coincide with the addresses in the first link I posted.

Also found this:

This was also kind of a red flag. I've never heard of Emperor Crab. And I don't think they snorkle for them. At least not on the Time Bandit or Cornelia Marie. :ROFLMAO:

Due To The Amazing Production Of Emperor Crabs This Year, We Decided To Sell Emperor Crab Legs At The Lowest Price In Exchange For Everyone’s Love For Us.

King Crab Legs Have A Big Price Cut Today, Handmade Snorkeling, Freshness Guaranteed! ! !

NATURE PROTECTION CLAUSE:
We promise to only catch adult emperor crabs over 2 kg, and never catch them under 2 kg! ! !
We will invest 10% of the Crab Legs sales revenue into the protection of nature/sea/animals! ! !

And..lastly...I found a post on FB from a guy that ordered from a similar site with sames costs/items. He never received anything, & PP initiated a refund. That site is no longer open, however.

Bottom line. Save yourself any hassle; stay away!

This was also kind of a red flag. I've never heard of Emperor Crab. And I don't think they snorkle for them. At least not on the Time Bandit or Cornelia Marie. :ROFLMAO:

Due To The Amazing Production Of Emperor Crabs This Year, We Decided To Sell Emperor Crab Legs At The Lowest Price In Exchange For Everyone’s Love For Us.

King Crab Legs Have A Big Price Cut Today, Handmade Snorkeling, Freshness Guaranteed! ! !

We promise to only catch adult emperor crabs over 2 kg, and never catch them under 2 kg! ! !
We will invest 10% of the Crab Legs sales revenue into the protection of nature/sea/animals! ! !
The guy seemed to indicate it was a scam outta China. The real Emperor crab roamed around Indonesia but is supposedly extinct.

The guy seemed to indicate it was a scam outta China. The real Emperor crab roamed around Indonesia but is supposedly extinct.
Big thanks to you two for the homework done here. As usual, when it seems too good to be true, it almost always is. But....... these scammers are always able to make a fortune because too many folks just can’t resist........

Another one. This one quite elaborate.

Free shipping!
I just had a nice conversation with Bill Barnum on FB. Brother Charles saw a discussion where I wrote about the bucks we killed in 1986 on their ranch and mentioned it to Bill.

They no longer do the wildlife bit but raise timber instead. He said the type of timber isn't too good as deer habitat, so the population is way down. The old house serves as a family summer home.

He invited me to visit & stay at the ranch a few days, but of course I told him that wouldn't be happening. :ROFLMAO:

I just had a nice conversation with Bill Barnum on FB. Brother Charles saw a discussion where I wrote about the bucks we killed in 1986 on their ranch and mentioned it to Bill.

They no longer do the wildlife bit but raise timber instead. He said the type of timber isn't too good as deer habitat, so the population is way down. The old house serves as a family summer home.

He invited me to visit & stay at the ranch a few days, but of course I told him that wouldn't be happening. :ROFLMAO:

A very nice man. The last time I saw him he didn't have gray hair, but then neither did I. If that's his house he's moved since I last talked to him. Too bad about his ranch, it was prime hunting back then. Tell him to send you some Dungeness Crab. He can afford it.... :LOL:

A very nice man. The last time I saw him he didn't have gray hair, but then neither did I. If that's his house he's moved since I last talked to him. Too bad about his ranch, it was prime hunting back then. Tell him to send you some Dungeness Crab. He can afford it.... :LOL:
Not sure, but I would assume that's his place. I doubt he'll fill my order for crabs.

So what kind of 'timber' would he be growing?

Not sure, but I would assume that's his place. I doubt he'll fill my order for crabs.

So what kind of 'timber' would he be growing?
Their ranch is right on the eastern edge of Redwood habitat so there might be some but mostly Douglas Fir. It's also in prime marijuana growing climate and that's what he should be growing. Mostly out of the fog belt but not too hot like the valley.

Their ranch is right on the eastern edge of Redwood habitat so there might be some but mostly Douglas Fir. It's also in prime marijuana growing climate and that's what he should be growing. Mostly out of the fog belt but not too hot like the valley.
Man, I sure don't recall a lot of either of those two species. There were a few firs & pepper trees that I recall and a lot of open grassy areas. Of course, that was about 35 years ago.

I'm gonna send Bill a PM & ask.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom