Big Sagebrush

FullGrown

My buddy and I were having a heated debate on Sagebrush of all things. I was talking about Sage Honey. I may be wrong, but I thought Sage flavored Honey came from the Big Sagebrush Flower.
My buddy says that the Sagebrush does not flower. I thought to myself, just about everything flowers, unless it is moss or a fern. He got hot about it though. I told him that we could agree to disagree on the topic. Now, if there are any Botanists out there that would like to chime in, please do so...'cause I know that I am correct on the flower part anyway.

But can it come from the Big Sagebrush plant? And does the Big Sagebrush plant have a flower? That is really what I want to know.

I've never seen sage brush in my neck of the woods flower.

But when the bitter brush flowers, you had either a wet winter, or a timely winter.

For those of you that might not know...The Nevada State FLOWER is the sagebrush! They do have small, flowering heads...you're just used to looking at big, beautiful, robust blossoms! ;-)

Yes, I knew I was right?
In the meantime, before your reply, I had contacted the Head of the Botany Department at the University of Wyoming. He said the same thing.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom