Big Wasatch Moose

Z

zrider2

LAST EDITED ON Sep-03-11 AT 03:42PM (MST)[p]So here is the deal, I was out hiking some ridges early this morning hoping to hear some bugles when I ran into these 2. I left my tripod, and digi adapter at the trailhead. So bear with me on the shaky footage. I freehanded the camera with one hand, and balanced the scope on my knee and couldnt focus it too well. if you can pause it for the first frame of the vid you can see how wide, but hard to see too much from the vid (sorry)Anyways this bull was huge. Super wide and his fronts were longer than I have ever seen. With the elk rut just around the corner I'm not too sure I'll be giving away his position just yet but we'll see. http://s151.photobucket.com/albums/s155/zrider2/?action=view?t=010.mp4

Athens Archery Field Staff
SOP Hunting Gear Staff (PM me for a nice MM discount on Horn Hunter and Tarantula products)

Looks like a good one to me! I will be somewhere in the Wasatch unit on the 17th looking for a bull,hope to find one like that!

Rick

The only way Travis will give up his secret spot is to wait until after the elk rut is over and he's done hunting or follow him from Magna up the canyon and see where he stops.

>The only way Travis will give
>up his secret spot is
>to wait until after the
>elk rut is over and
>he's done hunting or follow
>him from Magna up the
>canyon and see where he
>stops.
Wait, do I know you? Sounds like you know me quite well :) I was actually planning on letting 1 or 2 lucky guys know where it is, of course I'm open to bribes and they must sign a contract to never go in there again! Still havent seen another hunter and it is on the WF. That should tell you how good it is.

SOP Hunting Gear Staff (PM me for a nice MM discount on Horn Hunter and Tarantula products)

I don't doubt that it's a good spot and I'm sure you know your area well. I've seen your posts and pictures and I am very sure you're an accomplished hunter. I unfortunately don't have a tag, I used up my luck when I was 17 and drew the first year I put in. My comment was only refering to the carrot that you've dangled out there. All of the lucky guys that drew the tag this year are salivating at the mouth just hoping you'll pick them over the next guy. My brother however did draw the tag this year and has spent every free moment hoping to find a decent bull. I honestly can say that he has most likely put more boot leather on the ground than most people with the tag this year. He has exchanged messages with you and really come up with nothing other than chasing the carrot you're dragging around for attention.
My brother and I will be on the mountain the entire first week and I hope we experience the hunt of a lifetime. I can however promise that after my brother finds his moose he will be more than happy to help the rest of those still holding tags. The best part is he won't ever ask for anything in return because he's not that kind of person.
On another note, I'll bet my brother crapped his pants on Sat night when he was laying in tent on the mountain and a big cow moose decided to sniff him in his tent for a couple of minutes before wandering off. Now that sounds like fun!! Good luck to all the tag holders this year may you all be successful.
Todd

Todd, I actually know very little about moose. All that I know is that I have put in my time (since I was 14) hunting the Wasatch Front. This is by far the biggest bull I have seen. I dont mean to dangle a carrot as you say. I know of 2 good spots to hunt moose. This one that I'm at, and I know of a canyon that moose rut in. I have always answered questions straightforward, and been nice to anyone that PM's me. I was actually kidding about bribes or watever, but I have also worked very hard to find areas that hold big bucks/bulls on the WF. We are 2 for 2 the last couple of years on 280-320 WF bull elk. I didnt know that I was out there scouting for you and your bro, and that it was manditory to tell you my well earned secrets, but tell your bro to PM me and we will see what we can do. Also FYI your bro wasnt interested in any of the bulls I showed him up until this point,
had he told me so, I may have been able to help before now!

LAST EDITED ON Sep-06-11 AT 10:03PM (MST)[p]>Todd, I actually know very little
>about moose. All that I
>know is that I have
>put in my time (since
>I was 14) hunting the
>Wasatch Front. This is by
>far the biggest bull I
>have seen. I dont mean
>to dangle a carrot as
>you say. I know of
>2 good spots to hunt
>moose. This one that I'm
>at, and I know of
>a canyon that moose rut
>in. I have always answered
>questions straightforward, and been nice
>to anyone that PM's me.
>I was actually kidding about
>bribes or watever, but I
>have also worked very hard
>to find areas that hold
>big bucks/bulls on the WF.
>We are 2 for 2
>the last couple of years
>on 280-320 WF bull elk.
>I didnt know that I
>was out there scouting for
>you and your bro, and
>that it was manditory to
>tell you my well earned
>secrets, but tell your bro
>to PM me and we
>will see what we can
>do. Also FYI your bro
>wasnt interested in any of
>the bulls I showed him
>up until this point,
>had he told me so, I
>may have been able to
>help before now!
>
>Athens Archery Field Staff
>SOP Hunting Gear Staff (PM me
>for a nice MM discount
>on Horn Hunter and Tarantula
>products)
I don't recall asking you to scout for anyone...I don't recall saying anything about it being mandatory to share information...I don't recall asking you to hold anyone's hand....don't take it personal I enjoy your clips and pictures. And I too would be cautious who I shared information with....I would just be careful how and where I would drag my carrots around...anybody with half a brain could lookyou up and your personal information and find out where your hunting if they lacked any kind of common courtesy....I would never personally want to screw up someone's personal honey hole they are too far and few between. Good luck on your elk hunt!!

Todd, its not that I have anything against other hunters in this area. Actually right now I think it would help to have a few more in there. Sorry that you feel that I have been dangling carrots, but that wasnt my intention. I had been in contact with your bro a few times earlier, and merely told him I'd keep an eye on the moose situation where I was hunting. I have seen 3 shooter bulls in there and had planned on telling a few guys that were struggling to find anything decent early in their moose hunt. I would have told someone sooner, but I glassed some really nice elk in there a few weeks before the hunt. I feel like I should get first shot at what I'm chasing before I go throwing info around. How do i decide who should go where and chase what bull? If nothing else I had hoped my pics and vids would encourage guys that there really are some good bulls out there. Anyhow I dont know what to make of this situation now I know of about 5 tagholders that I would love to get this bull, your bro included.

Z you have every right to keep your hunting area sacred...after all you've been doing your homework for the past few seasons and apparently I was wrong about you. I guess that maybe seeing some nice shooter type bull moose would advice get us all excited. And in our excitement would all would probably get a little pumped up and want to share any pictures and video we might have. I'm sure it would be hard knowing that they are located in an area that has few hunters and decent elk numbers. I would also have a hard time sharing to much information. My brother is a great guy that works hard and you guys would probably make good hunting partners if your paths ever cross in the feild. He would never expect someone to bottle feed him to the promise land or give up a secret type area. He would however be grateful for any general information or ideas from fellow hunters.
I think I may have misjudged you....for that I apologize.Good luck with the elk I can't wait for the opportunity to chase bucks and bulls on the Front.
Hopefully my brother can connect on a nice moose with his bow it should make for great video.
Todd

No hard feelings at all. I can understand how I came accross that way, but believe me it wasnt my intention. I guess the plan for right now is that I will head in there Sat. morning (tripod in hand!) and try to get some decent pics of this thing and you guys can tell me how big he is??

The video as shaky as it was showed a pretty nice bull. I had to watch a few times to get a good idea, each time it got a little bigger. I hope you have the chance to get to see him again and get some pictures. I'll bet he's a good as you think he is. My brother headed out again tonight into another area on the upper end, hopefully he gets some good footage tonight also.
Todd

Anyone out there still looking for a bull? I'd love to get some other guy's opinions on this guy. Shoot me a PM and I can tell ya where he was.

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom