Biggest buck

silverlake176

Hey I saw this question posted on the Nevada hunt page and thought it was a good question so I thought I might ask it for the Oregonians on this website. The question is where in this state, unit, (Oregon) have you seen the biggest buck at. For me it was the Betty's Butte unit about two weeks before bow season opened up. What a heck of a buck it was, but had no sucess filling my archery tag on that great monster. So how about you all, where have you, and what unit was the biggest Oregon buck you have seen?

Hunted the Desolation Unit, late cow season. Day before Thanksgiving, "00" 34+" wide, heavy, rut crazed. Only saw 4 bucks on this hunt but that one was a pig.

Hunted the late cow season in Imnaha twice and saw 26-27" bucks daily chasing does but they were thin-horned. The Desolation buck was one of my all time best 5 i've seen anywhere.

Califelkslayer,
I'll second the Desolation unit. I deer hunt it and have also elk hunted it a few times, 2nd season spike only elk hunt about 3 years ago. We saw 2 different bucks that were huge regardless what state you are talking. One was a good heavy mainframe 4x4 with lots of trash, probably 30 wide. The other walked right in front of us across the road so we had a good look at him. 30+ wide, perfect 4x4 with eyeguards and deep heavy forks. I would guess he was with no BS a 195+ buck which is probably on the small guess side. My buddy killed a 190 buck there about 7 years ago so I know what a 190 looks like. I know a local out of Kimberly that thinks a new record could come out of Grant County. Northside unit next door also has some scary big bucks.

There's a 36-37 inch 5X5 muley running around the last two years in our favorite unit. I hope he's still around for this years achery hunt. I killed a 32 inch a few yrs ago, and there was another buck with him that was at least 35". I would have taken him but he was about 80yrds away and the one I killed was about 8yrds! Both non-typicals.

And yes, public land, non-guided.

muleyman

I think the biggest buck I've ever seen on the hoof was in the Fort Rock unit. I was just a young kid but remember it vividly as we were driving towards Summer lake to duck hunt around Thanksgiving. The deer were really migrating and there were hundreds of them. We saw one buck on the side of the road walking straight away. He was massive, I'm sure easily over 30. I know it can be deceptive when they are walking away but he was still big. He had points all over and had big long tear drop looking droppers on each side. They matched perfectly.

Another one that was close was also in the Desolation unit a few years back. He was a 5x6 from what I could see and was over 30 inches easily. Might have gotten close enough for a shot but some damned cattle spooked them. I did kill a good 22" 4x5 with eyeguards two years ago there. I will say, there are some big deer there. There is some nasty country that I think a lot of people overlook that probably holds some record book bucks.

support your local guzzlers. OHA life member,lapine oregon--- paulina unit winter range about ten years ago. i saw the biggest buck. 45" wide 30" tall, super massive. going strait away so i do not know how many points. 12 years ago in the beulah unit. i saw a 38"/40" perfect 4x4.

For me it would be Silvies a couple years ago while elk hunting we jumped a 30-32 inch perfect 4x4 not the heaveset horns but darn good. MY wifes familey hunts that unit every year (land owners) and I have never seen a buck like that harvested, but they do get some good one's. And the other buck that haunts my dream's is one I saw in Malhuer River around 9 years ago. And he is the reason I hunt that unit but he was around 35 inchs wide and a perfect 4x4. I have shed hunted looking for his sheds and spent much time in the country I saw him in and have never seen him agian......

CW

I have also seen some big bruisers at Wallowa lake state park. Those park bucks are really cool. Anyone eles ever go over there and admire those bucks?

Massive 35"+, multi-trash non-typical on an island in the snake just outside Ontario, Oregon.

Also a huge 5x5 that was nearly perfect in the 200 class, we saw him 2 of 3 elk seasons in the Catherine Creek unit.

kh

years ago we use to go to the lake for summer vacations and fishing up the lostine and hiking around the eagle cap. I was wondering how those bucks were doing. Are you still seeing them right down in the camping area? Crazy. . .

Right down in the camping area. Had a bruiser rub my shoulder while I was sitting in my camp chair.
A few years ago a couple archers put apples in a horse trailer and got one to step in. They slammed the door shut and tried to leave with him. They were stopped before Joseph by the law.
I was there last year and saw probably 15 + big bucks right in the park itself.

wow, someone actually tried to capture one and drive off with him? wholly-smokes, that's nuts. Having a deer rub your shoulder must have been strange too. Glad to hear that there still are some deer in that area. . .

about 5 years ago hunting elk in Beulah, late season saw a buck that appeared black in color, had points everywhere on a typical 180 frame that was very heavy. He was a PIG, he chased several bucks off a heard of 10 does and no one wanted a piece of him.

Rich

This has been posted before but I took this photo at Wallowa Lake last July. He's not a candidate for the "Wary mule deer" calendar.
july063121.jpg

There are some nice bucks there but its hard to get any decent photos. For me anyway, it ruins the effect when there's an RV in the background of every shot.
I tried sitting down, using the upward angle to eliminate the RV's but this buck wouldn't leave me alone. Everytime I sat, he walked over to get his forehead scratched.
2337.jpg

The biggest mule deer I've ever seen was in the Steens unit about ten years ago. Huge typical, he had everything except extreme spread. He was about 28" wide with unbelievably long tines. I've seen on the hoof and later handled the rack of a 203 typical, and the Steens buck was better.

I never saw those shots, that's too funny! camped out on the door step, LOL. . .

Spent four years in Grant County working in Monument. I lived in Mt. Vernon and drov sixty miles to work every morning and then home again each night, so I got to see th outskirts of the Murderer's Creek, Northside, Fossil and Heppner units every day. There are a lot of big bucks in that country. The biggest problem with those units is that so much of them are tied up in private land. The next record could come out of those units, but it will most likely be off the private ranch. John Cole out of Monument did have, may still, much of the north half of the northside unit tied up in his guiding business, and he might put a guy on a big one. But if I had to pick out the biggest buck that I ever saw, it was in the Fossil Unit, on the Longview Ranch. What a monster. Saw him in late november, still running does. Looked at him for about forty five minutes until it got too dark. I would guess him at 34-36 wide, 24 tall, heavy 4/4 mainframe with 3-4 inch eyeguards and stickers coming off everywhere. Truley the buck of many lifetimes, but like I said, could go his entire life and never get whacked being where he was.
"success Is Reason Enough!"

In December 05' some friends and I were headed to Christmas Valley for a 4 day rabbit-coyote hunt. We were at the Fort Rock Road Junction when a HUGE buck crossed the road in front of us. It had to be aleast 35" wide. He was also very tall with big forks. I talked to the locals about it and they had seen him a couple of times. Not during hunting season of course.

Back
Top Bottom