Biggest hunting dissapointment

Phantom Hunter

Very Active Member
I have to fess up to a muffed shot on the biggest buck I had ever had in the crosshairs. Don’t know exactly what happened. Fence wire hit, bad case of the shakes or a combination. I drew blood but not much, only pencil eraser sized spots every few yards. Tracked him about 3/4 mile. Lost blood and tracks on neighbors ranch. I have been hoping to see him alive or at least on one of our game cameras ever since that muffled shot the first weekend of Nov. but no sign of him. Makes me sick. Here is a pic of him from game camera. We had watched him all summer. He disappeared in mid October and showed back up the third day of the season. At least it seems our protein supplement is helping!

03A772CB-97AA-42AF-9A24-879064A8D0EE.jpeg

I know this isn't much consolation, but it usually makes me feel a little better knowing that it happens to all of us.
There used to be a program on I think was called "The wide world of sports", had a phrase in the beginning, The thrill of victory, the agony of defeat".
Agony is a very descriptive way we feel when you've watched and planned on a big buck, you finally get your chance, and something goes wrong.

So true 12Pointer. I think his genetics are still in our herd so perhaps a son or brother will show up just as big or bigger in the next year or two. Hardest thing was my son wanted me to get him and put his hunting on the back burner until I got a shot. I sure hated to disappoint him.

Sometimes, while sitting in a stand, freezing, getting rained on, sleeted on, snowed on, wind blowing 20 to30, getting up before dawn, or spending 3,000 bucks to go out west and walk around freezing, getting rained on, sleeted on, snowed on, wind blowing 20 to 30, getting up before dawn, falling down mountains, climbing back up same mountains, sucking air like a dying man gasping for his last breath only to have something go wrong,

I find myself frequently wishing instead of hunting, I'd taken up golf.

Happens to most all hunters out there if you chase them long enough , it hurts to lose one and never know his fate . Sorry for you unknown loss. :(

Sometimes, while sitting in a stand, freezing, getting rained on, sleeted on, snowed on, wind blowing 20 to30, getting up before dawn, or spending 3,000 bucks to go out west and walk around freezing, getting rained on, sleeted on, snowed on, wind blowing 20 to 30, getting up before dawn, falling down mountains, climbing back up same mountains, sucking air like a dying man gasping for his last breath only to have something go wrong,

One hunting trip about 3:30 in the morning while me and my buddy were beating the ice off our boots to put them on and climb up a mountain, my buddy said “if the government told us we had to do this we would revolt” ?. Also, I encourage all the young guys I know to take up golf (I figure it will keep them out of my woods)!

So true 12Pointer. I think his genetics are still in our herd so perhaps a son or brother will show up just as big or bigger in the next year or two. Hardest thing was my son wanted me to get him and put his hunting on the back burner until I got a shot. I sure hated to disappoint him.
One hunting trip about 3:30 in the morning while me and my buddy were beating the ice off our boots to put them on and climb up a mountain, my buddy said “if the government told us we had to do this we would revolt” ?. Also, I encourage all the young guys I know to take up golf (I figure it will keep them out of my woods)!
For some reason Howard Cosell comes to mind.
It was Jim McKay on that show & he was around forever it seemed anyway. He’s gone now to the great beyond sports in the Heavens !! RIP Jim
Jerry Gold in Windsor, Colorado ???

Wouldn’t give it up for all the tea in china

They are tough! He might not make it, but he might, but probably not, but he could, coyotes might eat him, but maybe not. Maybe he'll show up next year, but I doubt it, he's probably fine, but I bet he's dead. You'll probably never know, or get any closure......don't ask me how I know....don't lose too much sleep, and don't replay or rehash the shot it won't help......

I know this isn't much consolation, but it usually makes me feel a little better knowing that it happens to all of us.
There used to be a program on I think was called "The wide world of sports", had a phrase in the beginning, The thrill of victory, the agony of defeat".
Agony is a very descriptive way we feel when you've watched and planned on a big buck, you finally get your chance, and something goes wrong.
Stuff happens!! Even Tom Brady has misfires on occasion. I can only be sure one very good white tail buck got away many years ago. A lung ? shot thru both lungs at 150 yards with pieces of lungs blown out the far side by a Ruger M77- 284 Win.. Never found that deer ?! It was just at dusk. Still can’t believe it. ?
Jerry Gold in Windsor, Colorado

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Whitetail Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Whitetail Pros Guide Service

Southern Iowa and Missouri Private Land Whitetail Hunts. Rifle, Archery, Muzzleloader.

Antler Creek Whitetails

Archery hunt in Northeast Kansas. Rut and pre-rut, hunting from treestands and blinds.

Back
Top Bottom