Bighorn sheep scull question

Fencer

I have an old bighorn sheep scull and horns all in decent shape. The bones were exposed to the sun all those years horns deformed and separated. I would like to mount them but the bases are very distorted. Anyone knows any tricks or how-tos? I would like to minimize the grinding. Thanks!

bighorn - 1 (1).jpeg

bighorn - 1.jpeg

Well, it looks like you're trying to put the right horn on the left base. Just kidding, I don't know, maybe soak the horns in some water??

Looks like the bases have shrunken a lot. Soak in warm water to hopefully soften them back up enough to get them back on. I would not soak the tips, just the amount of the base to get it back on.

At that point with the cracking on the cone you have to grind down the cone. No other way around it. Even on fresh kills there can be grinding required after only a couple months of the horn behing off the cone.

You will definitely need to soak about 1/2 the horn to return it to the proper size and fit. It's possible to grind down the skull ends so that the horns will fit better but you really need to soak the horns so you can gradually get them to return to the right size,

I'm confident that your horns can be returned to look great if done properly. I've refurbished a lot of antlers and horns over the years. It takes a lot of time and know=how to make them look life-like.

Thank you guys! I will post results. Last question; do I need some sort of glue/epoxy to cement horns to the bone?

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom