Bighorns bugling report

i know of a handful of guys that have tagged out. all of them bulls under 300 inches.

I'll let you know in a few days. I just pulled into Sheridan and will be heading out tommorow. Damn near collected an antelope just outside Gillett that would have ruined my day! Those things are really stupid, they must not be able to see very well in low light?

Just came off the Moutain today,VERY VERY DRY. And no sight of moisture on the way. Ran into more more stupid bowhunters than I can believe. Hunting in the middle of the day by walking into the elk bedding area with the wind at their backs..WOW.

The bugling...not very good very little at best.

Mat, good luck I hope the weather changes while you're here.

Scratch

>Just came off the Moutain today,VERY
>VERY DRY. And no sight
>of moisture on the way.
>Ran into more more stupid
>bowhunters than I can believe.
>Hunting in the middle of
>the day by walking into
>the elk bedding area with
>the wind at their backs..WOW.
>
>
>
>
they just got a bunch of rain. was even putting out a few snow flakes.

nfh

Thats good news, thank you. I'm headed back up in the morning and staying until the end of the season.

More important how did you do? I hope you killed a nice bull.

Scratch

i dont hunt the bighorns, i just drive over the pass couple times a week. i do hunt with some buddies up there. got a few bucks and elk on the ground. nothing huge though.

last few days the temp is really dropping. hitting 33 degrees at night.

>Hows the bugling/rut going in the
>Bighorns right now?

I was just in the Bighorns hunting Mule Deer and scouting for an Elk tag that I am hoping to draw next year. I saw lots of Elk. I actually saw 7 different bulls in one draw during two days of hunting. I would have been happy to tag all 7 of the bulls with my bow. I actually watched 4 bulls fight over a herd of cows for an hour and a half. Watching those bulls fight for an hour and half if something that I will not forget for a long time to come. As far as the buling, I can only confirm hearing two real bugles because I watched the bulls bugle, because there was a lot of people running around blowing on Elk calls. There are lots of people, but my personal experience was good enough that I think I will still try to burn my points up in the Bighorns. I think there is still plenty of Elk to go around.

Just got back, they were bugling hard last week, but the rain/snow/wind and smoke from a fire turned them off Monday-Tuesday. I did not get a shot, the elk gremlins got the best of me again. I think I'm 0-12 on these damn things with a bow. Had 3 bulls in recurve range but wind, rocks and a moving target foiled all my attempts. I also broke another rule (I know everyone since I have broken them all) which is I didn't have a call in my mouth when a bull ran by at 15 yards chasing a cow.

Scratch - I've seen lots of stupid elk hunters which is why I started backpacking to get away from them. Now I just run into stupid guys on horses so you can never hike far enough. But at least they stick to the trails!

Mat

Sounds like you had a good time. Were you hunting with Paintrock Adventures? Ed (guide).
I packed out today and came home, passed up a nice 5x5 yesterday morning at twenty five yards broadside. The weather turned warm and looks to stay that way.

Scratch

I never use a guide, it was a DIY hunt but my first time doing it solo. I saw some guys on horses coming out of the wilderness area with 2 bulls on Sat 9/17, nothing to get excited about. That was probably out of my range, but as a non-res I couldn't go there anyway. The one thing that was surprising was there are still a lot of hikers in the wilderness. Most of the trailheads had 8-12 cars parked at them that didn't look anything like a hunting rig.

Mat,

You're correct about hikers all over the place. Last year I seen a women and her dog were out jogging right thru good elk hunting country. I've hunted up there for seventeen years now and ever year it gets worse and worse. I remember back in the 90's I would never see another person hiker or hunter, but that has changed for sure. And the quality of the elk has fallen way down, numbers and trophy size. All my honey holes now have major horse trails going thru them, where there used to be just game trails. It's very disheartning and I may have to go hunt where the grizzlies are just to get away from the zoo.

What recurve are you shooting? I shoot a Schafer Silvertip until I got in a wreak and broke my neck and messed up my shoulder, I hope to start shooting it again in the off season.

Scratch

I shoot Mike Palmers recurves, love the grip and no one produces a more efficient (some would say faster) bow. 53# @ 26". I had complete pass thru on 2 bull caribou so I know it will work on elk. If only I had the chance...

Also I ran into a local woman on the trail out chasing bear and lions with her 4 hound dogs. I was glad to hear they didn't find any but the Bighorns are being loved to death.

Mat,

Her name is Tessa, I hope she wasn't chasing Black Bears since it's against the law.

Just got home today and it's pretty hot and dry, did get into some bugling. And passed up a 5x5 at twenty five yards.

Everyone hears great things about the Bighorns and when they get up there and hunt they get a great big doze of reality. Too many hunters and backpackers, cattle, etc. it's a shame because it used to be a great place to hunt ten years ago or so.

Scatch

Hi guys I hunted unit 37 from Sept 14-25th. The bugling was kind of hit or miss. It seemed like when the weather got stable for more than one day the bulls would sound off.

I had the misfortune of hitting a 320-330 bull near Park Reservoir on the morning of the 14th but could not find it. Made me sick, shot went higher than expected! Me and 3 other buddies searched the area for 3 solid days. On Sat the 17th we saw a younger teenage kid up in the area where i last tracked it. We ran to Sheridan for supplies in the afternoon and when we got almost to camp we saw the kid on a red 4 wheeler passing us with a big 6 pt tied to the back, no meat or tag on it. I gave chase but he was traveling mach 10. Not certain if it was my bull but i wanted to talk to him and if it was my bull i was willing to make it right with him for his efforts.

Of course the day we left the bulls were going crazy 4-5 bulls bugling in most drainages we checked. Good luck guys and be thankful that you guys can hunt bulls every year. It cost me 640 to do it. Also any info of a kid finding a nice 6 pt in the park reservoir would be greatly appreciated. (contact me @ [email protected])

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom