BIKERS IN THE WILDERNESS???

No baby strollers or skateboards either, damn it! The only two things I could pass. :D:D

97172deliverancebanjo.jpg

I like the idea in general. But this is Utah, so something tells me there is a bunch of language in it that sucks.

I find it hypocritical that there are all these back country dudes, riding motorized bikes. I doubt they would support a Bad Boy electric ATV. Wilderness should be zero motor, or make it multi use.

From the party of HUNTIN, FISHIN, PUBLIC LAND.

>I like the idea in general.
> But this is Utah,
>so something tells me there
>is a bunch of language
>in it that sucks.
>
>I find it hypocritical that there
>are all these back country
>dudes, riding motorized bikes.
>I doubt they would support
>a Bad Boy electric ATV.
> Wilderness should be zero
>motor, or make it multi
>use.
>
>
>From the party of HUNTIN, FISHIN,
>PUBLIC LAND.

So Hoss?

If You made it/The Wilderness Multi Use?

How Many Months would it take to Totally F'N Destroy it with the TARDS that Ravage Mother Earth?

It Ain't Easy being Me!:D:D:D

Most of you know that I am a hardcore Mtn Biker. I am involved with COPMOBA, a western Colorado group that maintains and builds single track trails that are sometimes multi use to include motorcycles. We have the opportunity to ride hundreds of miles of trails right now, maybe even over a thousand. We are also engaged in planning and building more trail. None of it is in wilderness. I see no need and do not want mtn bikers in wilderness areas. We have more than enough to ride existing trail and build new trails on BLM and USFS. And E Bikes are the Evil ;)

Hasbean

The hard core tree huggers from a couple of generations ago were mainly backpacker types. That's when most of the wilderness areas were created with full support of the huggers. Now a good share of the hard cores are mountain bikers. That is a main reason why new wilderness designations have pretty much stalled out lately. If they stated to allow bikes in wilderness areas, there would be a lot more push to create more of them, so keeping the bikes out is a good thing.

Even deer carts are outlawed in wilderness areas, so that gives an awful lot of advantage to horsemen.

Now if they would just outlaw horses in wilderness areas, it would give the foot traffic an equal chance for once.

Keep Wilderness non-mechanized. We don't need guys bombing down every trail on mountain bikes bringing with them the erosion from wheels and the ever-present root jumps that come with bike trails. And once mechanized is legal, inevitably those claiming Wilderness should be wheelchair accessible for the disabled. How long before it's paved?

Multi-Use doesn't mean all people in all places. It means that different lands can be classified for multiple uses, not that all lands must allow all uses.

Some of us like areas of quiet solitude, part of "multiple-use" is protecting land for those people too.

Grizzly

The root question is what keeps the area in a pristine wild condition. Bikes are easier on trials than horses and don't poop seeds that can spread noxious weeds. They make less noise than horses. I think it is a great fit.

Many of the remote wilderness areas see almost no use. bikes are awesome for the trails and more people using the trails in some areas would be great. Other areas are heavily used by horses. Keep bikes out of those areas.

Last year hiking mt. timp here in Utah some guys were coming down on unicylces. The seemed to have no idea it was against the law and had a blast. They hurt nothing and flow was fine that day. A bike on a heavily used hiking trail would be a bad idea, they go to fast and no passing lanes. Mixed use, we can all be happy. Some canyons here are bikes on 2 days of the week only. I think that works great.

In National Forest and Wilderness areas horses must be fed certified weed-free hay or processed hey cubes and processed grains that have no seeds that are able to germinate. My feed is inspected almost without fail everytime I recreate these areas. Keep all wheels and motors out of the wilderness, that's the whole point of it!

#livelikezac

LAST EDITED ON May-21-18 AT 06:35PM (MST)[p]If people want pristine Wilderness there probably shouldn't be any hunting or fishing. Leave it natural. And we really shouldn't cut trees and brush and hog out the land for a trail. :D

The trouble with wilderness areas is that the suck in tree huggers and rock lickers like a magnet. Many areas that used to be seldom used and seldom visited are now visited to death because of being designated "wilderness".

Some of the small wilderness areas are a joke. For example, there is no place in the entire Wellsville Mountain wilderness where you can't hear truck traffic on the highways below. Some wilderness.

I think bicycles wouldn't hurt an area like that.

>The trouble with wilderness areas is
>that the suck in tree
>huggers and rock lickers like
>a magnet. Many areas
>that used to be seldom
>used and seldom visited are
>now visited to death because
>of being designated "wilderness".
>
>Some of the small wilderness areas
>are a joke. For
>example, there is no place
>in the entire Wellsville Mountain
>wilderness where you can't hear
>truck traffic on the highways
>below. Some wilderness.
>
>I think bicycles wouldn't hurt an
>area like that.

This is true. And the bill leaves it up to the particular wilderness manager of a specific area to use common sense to decide when and where bikes should be used. And bikes stay on the trails. Go 100 yards off any trail and you can have all the wilderness experiences your heart desires.

I'm an avid mountain biker and I would not support allowing bikes in wilderness areas. As has been stated above, there are plenty of trails available for biking.

And the bill
>leaves it up to the
>particular wilderness manager of a
>specific area to use common
>sense to decide when and
>where bikes should be used.

Think how dumb the average person is and remember that half of people are dumber than average. Do you really trust some "particular wilderness manager" to use "common sense"? Especially when that person regularly changes with political whims and appointments?

Grizzly

> And the bill
>>leaves it up to the
>>particular wilderness manager of a
>>specific area to use common
>>sense to decide when and
>>where bikes should be used.
>
>Think how dumb the average person
>is and remember that half
>of people are dumber than
>average. Do you really trust
>some "particular wilderness manager" to
>use "common sense"? Especially when
>that person regularly changes with
>political whims and appointments?
>
>Grizzly

Based on the Federal employees I've ran across and met, the odds aren't great, that's for sure. What was I thinking?

As a mountain biker myself, we have plenty of trails and plenty of options. Keep wilderness areas wilderness. Mike Lee is at war with wild places and areas he can't rape. He is a snake and is definitely pushing for a different ultimatum. Wish he would move to Texas where he belongs.

LAST EDITED ON May-23-18 AT 00:37AM (MST)[p]Two years ago I had a GS muzzleloader deer tag.
I had scouted an area that held a few bruisers. Opening morning of my hunt as the sun came up, I watched one of those big bucks make his way about 500 yards from me and bed down.

I specifically chose the trail that hiked in on because it was non motorized and seemed rarely used. 2.5 mile straight vertical climb to where this bucks summer home.
I gathered my gear up and made a game plan for a stalk.
I was nearly half way to the bedded buck when I began hearing motorcycles coming up the trail. Just before the bike riders came into view, that buck jumped out of his bed and took off across to the other side of the basin ruining my stalk.

I've never been so angry in my life.
I quickly made my way over to the trail to cut the riders off to give them hell. They claimed they didn't know the trail was no motorized. They came back on their bikes that evening

"Wildlife and its habitat cannot speak. So
we must and we will."
Theadore Roosevelt

>>The trouble with wilderness areas is
>>that the suck in tree
>>huggers and rock lickers like
>>a magnet. Many areas
>>that used to be seldom
>>used and seldom visited are
>>now visited to death because
>>of being designated "wilderness".
>>
>>Some of the small wilderness areas
>>are a joke. For
>>example, there is no place
>>in the entire Wellsville Mountain
>>wilderness where you can't hear
>>truck traffic on the highways
>>below. Some wilderness.
>>
>>I think bicycles wouldn't hurt an
>>area like that.
>
>This is true. And the bill
>leaves it up to the
>particular wilderness manager of a
>specific area to use common
>sense to decide when and
>where bikes should be used.
>And bikes stay on the
>trails. Go 100 yards off
>any trail and you can
>have all the wilderness experiences
>your heart desires.

Key words are Common Sense But I like the idea for the most part. I'm willing to share the earth day

Bess
One of them got lippy. As soon as I tried pulling him off his bike, he hit the gas! Almost wrecked just trying to get away! I wasn?t messing around

"Wildlife and its habitat cannot speak. So
we must and we will."
Theadore Roosevelt

I'm a avid mtn biker and I say keep them off, I'm already seeing these "heros" on electric bikes cruising the trails.

Mtn bikers are generally liberal and i disagree fundamentally with everything they say. Just saying....

I had a mtn bike as a kid. Now men that have them drive a subaru. Starbucks and granola.....

U can be mad. I stand behind it.

LAST EDITED ON Jun-02-18 AT 06:38PM (MST)[p]I'm a mountain biker and I want wilderness access on my bike.

Why not? I can ride in, hunt, and ride out. Riding 10 miles on a bike is a cinch if you're in shape.

Plus, bikes don't poop on trails, and chew them up like horses. Bikes and bikers tend to be good for trails and trail conditions.

You?ll be able to hunt further in the wilderness, and get in quietly.

Libtards don't like mountain bikes.

Don?t be a libtard.

But no electric bikes, that's cheating.

LAST EDITED ON Jun-02-18 AT 09:52PM (MST)[p]Try it. You might like it.

The invention of the mountain bike is right up there with binoculars and smokeless powder.

It makes a good thing better.

>LAST EDITED ON Jun-02-18
>AT 09:52?PM (MST)

>
>Try it. You might like
>it.
>
>The invention of the mountain bike
>is right up there with
>binoculars and smokeless powder.
>
>It makes a good thing better.
>

You Got a Picture of that Bike Strapped to the Top of your F'N LEZBARU?

>>LAST EDITED ON Jun-02-18
>>AT 09:52?PM (MST)

>>
>>Try it. You might like
>>it.
>>
>>The invention of the mountain bike
>>is right up there with
>>binoculars and smokeless powder.
>>
>>It makes a good thing better.
>>
>
>You Got a Picture of that
>Bike Strapped to the Top
>of your F'N LEZBARU?
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>It Ain't Easy being Me!:D:D:D

I'm sure you and all the other hippies at the sierra club will be successful in blocking bikes from wilderness. But you don't know what you're missing.

Don't go full vegan on us now, bro.

>>>LAST EDITED ON Jun-02-18
>>>AT 09:52?PM (MST)

>>>
>>>Try it. You might like
>>>it.
>>>
>>>The invention of the mountain bike
>>>is right up there with
>>>binoculars and smokeless powder.
>>>
>>>It makes a good thing better.
>>>
>>
>>You Got a Picture of that
>>Bike Strapped to the Top
>>of your F'N LEZBARU?
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>It Ain't Easy being Me!:D:D:D
>
>I'm sure you and all the
>other hippies at the sierra
>club will be successful in
>blocking bikes from wilderness.
>But you don't know what
>you're missing.
>
>Don't go full vegan on us
>now, bro.
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>

Hey Bo!

I Figured that Might Raise your Blood Pressure!:D

There's All Kinds out there!

I Just don't know how We're gonna Satisfy everybody!

>Mtn bikers are generally liberal and
>i disagree fundamentally with everything
>they say. Just saying....
>
>I had a mtn bike as
>a kid. Now men
>that have them drive a
>subaru. Starbucks and granola.....
>
>U can be mad. I stand
>behind it.

Stupid post

Stupid poster

>>>>LAST EDITED ON Jun-02-18
>>>>AT 09:52?PM (MST)

>>>>
>>>>Try it. You might like
>>>>it.
>>>>
>>>>The invention of the mountain bike
>>>>is right up there with
>>>>binoculars and smokeless powder.
>>>>
>>>>It makes a good thing better.
>>>>
>>>
>>>You Got a Picture of that
>>>Bike Strapped to the Top
>>>of your F'N LEZBARU?
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>It Ain't Easy being Me!:D:D:D
>>
>>I'm sure you and all the
>>other hippies at the sierra
>>club will be successful in
>>blocking bikes from wilderness.
>>But you don't know what
>>you're missing.
>>
>>Don't go full vegan on us
>>now, bro.
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>
>
>Hey Bo!
>
>I Figured that Might Raise your
>Blood Pressure!:D
>
>There's All Kinds out there!
>
>I Just don't know how We're
>gonna Satisfy everybody!
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>It Ain't Easy being Me!:D:D:D

Lol. I get ya , I'm cool. You?re right, every one won't be happy. Truth, I can't afford and don't have room for horses right now. Bikes are my only option to get ?way back.?

That's not true....you can walk.

I love riding my mountain bike but I don't want them in the wilderness. I hunt wilderness most years and I work my rear off getting miles from the truck. I see folks on horses from time to time. That is also an option for you if you don't want to hike in. There are plenty of places you can ride your bike and hunt. Seriously, quit being selfish by wanting to do it in EVERY place. Maybe let some of the rest of us have something we'd like too. Just a thought.

>That's not true....you can walk.
>
>I love riding my mountain bike
>but I don't want them
>in the wilderness. I
>hunt wilderness most years and
>I work my rear off
>getting miles from the truck.
> I see folks on
>horses from time to time.
> That is also an
>option for you if you
>don't want to hike in.
> There are plenty of
>places you can ride your
>bike and hunt. Seriously,
>quit being selfish by wanting
>to do it in EVERY
>place. Maybe let some of
>the rest of us have
>something we'd like too.
>Just a thought.

Who?s being selfish?

I can walk, physically, but I have a job and small children that need attention. I weeks walk is a days ride.

How do you think bikes will negatively effect wilderness areas? I'm curious to hear this? All the answers I've heard so far are hypothetical and not real. There is a lot of unrealistic paranoia regarding this. As long as they don't build chair lifts in the wilderness, or allow shuttles, you won't see that crowd nobody wants.

There is a difference between trail riding and bike packing.

Trail riders don't ride unsupported, so they can't get more than a couple of miles from a bar.

Self supported bike packers will take long trips, and I've never heard a negative thing about bike packers. All impacts they provide would be positive. Hunters included.

That's my take. Right now bike packers routinely have to carry their bikes through wilderness area, or route around them. In the az trail race, bike packers carry their bikes thru the Grand Canyon for compliance.

Hey Bo!

I Guess I Wouldn't Have a problem with it if all Bikers were like You!

But They're Not!

The USFS/BLM/DWR Can't even Enforce the TARDS Destroying TARDville with their F'N Wheelers/QUADS in Closed areas now!

I've come to one Conclusion on this issue:

Let's Destroy Mother Earth just as F'N Quick as We F'N Can!

I never said bikes would damage trails, wilderness, etc. I was suggesting that the majority of public lands already allow you to ride a bike. The "selfish" comment is because you want that ability on all public lands. There are folks like me that don't want them everywhere. I'm not asking to take them out of all forest lands or BLM....that would be selfish. Same as saying....I want everything the way "I" want it.

I would be against it I don't think they belong in the wilderness.. However looking at it in a positive way maybe the trail system would be better maintained.. Speaking only for the High Uinta Wilderness the Forest service simply doesn't have the man power to keep up with everything, They do a great job where they do get but if it wasn't for individuals, groups such as back country horseman and dedicated hunters it would be far worse off.

I have horses, I ride mountain bikes and I love to backpack. When backpacking I always enjoy seeing a horse and "horsepeople". Same trail and mountainbikers not so much. Some are cool, but many just want to see how sketchily they can take the trail. When they run you over its "sorry I guess" and then off again without even trying to help you back up, Their headphones in so they can't here you holler to be careful as they are coming down on top of you. Never had a horse come galloping down the trial at 20 MPH, I'm sure its happened, but not routine like with the bikes.
I broke my clavicle and two ribs on my mtb 2 years ago riding down from ski Santa Fe. Nothing against bikes in certain areas.

LAST EDITED ON Jun-12-18 AT 09:31PM (MST)[p]i think the main concern of hunters, myself included, is a quiet, peaceful hunt. There are certain aspects of mountain biking that may induce fears of a hunt being ruined because of a dude on a bike.

However, i don't think enduro riders will be present in wilderness trails to spoil hunts. It's too far away from the bar. When you see an enduro rider on the trail, you throat punch him, and move on. Try to hit him square in the adams' apple so he writhes around on the ground for a while and gasps for air. it's just what you do, and not doing it is a dis-service to the forest. those are the guys who are jerks.

however, i think the few people that would benefit from bikes in the wilderness, is you. Long-haul bike packers have to be self supported, so they ride slow and carry lots of gear, and are generally unobtrusive and cool. Since beer and pizza are not readily available in the wilderness, as well as chair lifts, i think the quieter crowd will be drawn. Bear in mind, bikers rarely go more than 2 inches off trail, unless they have to poop really, really badly. so, unless you are hunting right on the trail, disturbance is a moot point.

i can't imagine how convenient it would be to be an a bike, and be able to move with stealth, comfort, and speed to my hunting spots. we have nothing to lose, and everything to gain.

Hey Bo!

I Like your 2nd Paragraph!

Would that be Considered a Backwoods Tune-Up?

I know so many people in so many places
They make allot of money but they got sad faces

I had my first good wreck! up in Wyo on Wednesday afternoon!

Hamburger knees/shins and forarms and bruised Ribs...…

Breaking Camp down to get home to see my Dr. was brutal and sooo very painful

Robb

>I had my first good wreck!
>up in Wyo on Wednesday
>afternoon!
>
>Hamburger knees/shins and forarms and bruised
>Ribs...…
>
>Breaking Camp down to get home
>to see my Dr. was
>brutal and sooo very painful
>
>
>Robb

Ouch!

Always wear a helmet....at the very least.

>How do you think bikes will
>negatively effect wilderness areas?
>I�m curious to hear this?

They take away from the experience and the purpose of the wilderness trip. It's just that simple.

#livelikezac

BS Mtn bikes don't leave a mark. Show me a Mt bike trail that has anything growing in it or isn't rutted with any amount of moisture!

Horses and hikers have little if any problems coexisting. Yeah, horses crap in the woods like all other animals.

Put a Mt biker on a trail with hikers and horses and those f'ers go bombing downhill, around blind corners, and never consider anyone else going slower. Too f'n dangerous.

I do admit some Mt Bikers are thoughtful, but people generally don't get into that sport to go downhill slow.

At least the motorcycles can be heard coming down the trail. Don't get me wrong, I don't want them in wilderness, and I hate the sound of 2-strokes anywhere but a race track, but they aren't dangerous to me.

To me, Mtn Bikes are THE WORST! They should be banned except where only mt bikes and dirt bikes ride.

Typical of bike riders in general. They always think others should yield to them, be in a busy road full of 5000lb cars or sidewalks full of people. Never pay attn. to flow of traffic.

Can you tell them piss me off...

>I had my first good wreck!
>up in Wyo on Wednesday
>afternoon!
>
>Hamburger knees/shins and forarms and bruised
>Ribs...…
>
>Breaking Camp down to get home
>to see my Dr. was
>brutal and sooo very painful
>
>
>Robb

Hope You're OK Robb!

Is Ms PleaseDear around to give you some TLC?

Let us know?

Sure, I always wear a helmet eel----thanks for the reminder though

Chris, Ms. PD has been gone since last August.....the only TLC I get is off Tinder...haha

Robb

>Sure, I always wear a helmet
>eel----thanks for the reminder though
>
>
>Chris, Ms. PD has been gone
>since last August.....the only TLC
>I get is off Tinder...haha
>
>
>Robb

Damn it Robb!

You Might have to Call Preddy for a little TLC!

I Tried Callin You a couple times yesterday just to Check on You but didn't wanna bother you Neither!

That F'N Road Rash Post Age 50 Hurts!

Keep them out of Wilderness, up in the sawtooths the new age men and women that work with the forest service can't even keep the trails cleared like the old timers used to

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom