Bill limiting use of guides/outfitters

I get what they're trying to do here. But like the trail cam rule change, there is no way they could actually enforce this.

I have three brothers. We've hunted together our whole lives and still do as much as possible, even though we now live in different states. Under this new bill, if I draw a once-in-a-lifetime tag in Utah, I'm supposed to tell one of my brothers they can't come???

I get what they're trying to do here. But like the trail cam rule change, there is no way they could actually enforce this.

I have three brothers. We've hunted together our whole lives and still do as much as possible, even though we now live in different states. Under this new bill, if I draw a once-in-a-lifetime tag in Utah, I'm supposed to tell one of my brothers they can't come???
Guides were already regulated under the Hunting Guides and Outfitters Registration Act.

What this does is limit the number of paid guides the outfitter can have per hunter.

Screenshot_20220309-202249_Samsung Internet.jpg

This bill doesn't apply to families hunting together, it applies to those regulated under the Hunting Guides and Outfitters Registration Act. They were already limited to $100, where after they had to be registered as a Guide. I doubt you and your brothers were registering as Guides when you hunted together.

Screenshot_20220309-202609_Samsung Internet.jpg

The bull is not intended to stop family and friends. It's the internet selling of game, guys sitting on them all summer. At least that is what I see it being
I understand what it's trying to stop. But if it passes, it would technically be just as illegal for my three brothers to spot for me on a hunt, as it would be for an outfitter to hire 20 guys to spot for a high-paying client. Are we just supposed to ignore it because it was intended for them and not for us?

Can Somebody SPLAIN How It Will Be Enforced?
Will people please stop saying this. It's the stupidest comment I can imagine as to why we shouldn't have hunting regulations. Shooting before the season, wasting game, night hunting, over-the-limit, etc... all can be met with the same comment.

Most people will follow the law. Some won't. Enforcement is hard but when outfitters get caught with too many guides on a hunt, they risk losing their license. It's pretty easy to understand.

Guides were already regulated under the Hunting Guides and Outfitters Registration Act.

What this does is limit the number of paid guides the outfitter can have per hunter.

View attachment 70538

This bill doesn't apply to families hunting together, it applies to those regulated under the Hunting Guides and Outfitters Registration Act. They were already limited to $100, where after they had to be registered as a Guide. I doubt you and your brothers were registering as Guides when you hunted together.

View attachment 70539
That's different than a lot of the (mis)information that's been floating around about this. And makes a lot more sense. Thank you for clarifying.

Will people please stop saying this. It's the stupidest comment I can imagine as to why we shouldn't have hunting regulations. Shooting before the season, wasting game, night hunting, over-the-limit, etc... all can be met with the same comment.

Most people will follow the law. Some won't. Enforcement is hard but when outfitters get caught with too many guides on a hunt, they risk losing their license. It's pretty easy to understand.
I don't think that's a stupid comment. I would hope that any time they pass a new bill/law/rule, they at least have some idea of how they would enforce it. I've yet to hear anything from DWR on how they would enforce this or the new trail cam rule.

If I hike 5 miles in to take down my camera on July 31 and there are still 5 other cameras there, should I report it? Would they do anything about it?

How would it be illegal? Do you pay your brothers
I understand what it's trying to stop. But if it passes, it would technically be just as illegal for my three brothers to spot for me on a hunt, as it would be for an outfitter to hire 20 guys to spot for a high-paying client. Are we just supposed to ignore it because it was intended for them and not for us?
So do you pay your brothers?

Not Saying I'm Against it grizz!

They Can't & Won't Enforce alot of the Existing Laws!

Grizzly already clarified this in post #7. A lot of the information floating around doesn't tell the whole story.
Im not sure on this but would paying for their fuel or food count as payment? If I understand this correctly any compensation over 25 dollars worth is considered payment. Also the bill doesnt limit the number of guides just paid guides? Alot of the pics you see with multiple guides most of them are there just to be a part of it, not all of them are getting paid so this problem is still here.

I don't think that's a stupid comment. I would hope that any time they pass a new bill/law/rule, they at least have some idea of how they would enforce it. I've yet to hear anything from DWR on how they would enforce this or the new trail cam rule.

If I hike 5 miles in to take down my camera on July 31 and there are still 5 other cameras there, should I report it? Would they do anything about it?
Let's stick to the outfitter bill since that's the OP.

I was an informant on a bear poaching case once in San Juan and I was totally impressed with how much info the officer gathered before even contacting the tag holder. They often know a lot more than people think by the time they call the tag holder.

It's pretty easy for LE to count how many people are hanging out at outfitter camps during a hunt. It's pretty easy for them to see which license plates are scouting. It's pretty easy to check the IG accounts of the local kids and see who's out looking in different units.

Beyond that, the "guides" will talk. They'll brag about being a "guide" and finding the biggest bull on the mountain. People not being able to keep their mouths shut is probably the best tool LE everywhere has. This bill also makes it illegal to pay finder's fees to anybody after the outfitter has hired a guide for a hunter because that would bea second guide.

I'm certain that some outfitters will break the rule. But I'm also certain that there will be outfitters that have to tell people they can't pay them anymore. If a guy wants to help out for free, that would still be legal.

I see this bill as a positive.

Im not sure on this but would paying for their fuel or food count as payment? If I understand this correctly any compensation over 25 dollars worth is considered payment. Also the bill doesnt limit the number of guides just paid guides? Alot of the pics you see with multiple guides most of them are there just to be a part of it, not all of them are getting paid so this problem is still here.
I read it as food or fuel being counted as compensation. If a guy wants to help on a hunt, he's got to pay his way entirely (above $25) or he's a guide.

Screenshot_20220309-211657_Samsung Internet.jpg

I see this as almost impossible from a law enforcement point of view to enforce. Other than social media leading to some possible cases, you would have do an actual targeted operation to get a solid case on this. I am not sure it would be worth the man power over what what would ultimately just be a slap on the wrist that no one cared about. I hope it passes however.
Still leaves enough manpower for one guy to block the road and tell you " I got a hunter up there" while the other is with the client.

The comment about not being able to enforce it needs to stop. Let's just don't make regulations in case we can't enforce it? That is ridiculous. I'm sure someone will get away with it, but I'm sure most people will follow the law. Also, once someone gets busted it will help cut down on those who dare try to get away with it. Most people will follow the law. I am all in favor of it. Nice job Utah!

The comment about not being able to enforce it needs to stop. Let's just don't make regulations in case we can't enforce it? That is ridiculous. I'm sure someone will get away with it, but I'm sure most people will follow the law. Also, once someone gets busted it will help cut down on those who dare try to get away with it. Most people will follow the law. I am all in favor of it. Nice job Utah!

It would be totally enforceable. those 18 year old kids out scouting for WLH and MB won't be able to keep their mouth shut if they get a couple grand for spotting a big buck.

loose lips sink ships.

Again... Grizzly already clarified this in post #7. But thanks for confirming. There is some misinformation going around about this, and I had not yet read the actual bill.
Yet....Again.....nowhere does it say anything even close to that. Thanks for confirming the obvious.

Yet....Again.....nowhere does it say anything even close to that. Thanks for confirming the obvious.
Not sure why you keep repeating yourself. I misunderstood the new bill, based on some information I had heard before reading it. Grizzly clarified in post #7. I thanked him for clarifying in post #10. It may be obvious to you (and now me, thanks to Grizzly). But I can assure you that at the moment it is not obvious to everyone.

This is a great start to getting the shady money-making schemes out of hunting in Utah. A great follow-up would be to do away with the ability to purchase tags in any form other than a drawing or raffle. These two things would give a lot back to average Joe. The trail camera ban is great but it's only a bandage for the two mentioned practices above. Just my opinion.

Always sad in Utah we can't follow the law.

We try to figure out if we will get caught.

That's a a Utard trait

Not sure why you keep repeating yourself. I misunderstood the new bill, based on some information I had heard before reading it. Grizzly clarified in post #7. I thanked him for clarifying in post #10. It may be obvious to you (and now me, thanks to Grizzly). But I can assure you that at the moment it is not obvious to everyone.
Yet....again....nowhere does it exclude family hunts.

take them home

Vanilla
This is a question according to the way you understand this proposed law.
If I was to draw out for an elk hunt on the Boulder and my two brothers and two cousin's came along to help. My wife goes out and purchase the food I mean everything including water, soda pops and beer. She even makes some prepared meals. I purchase fuel that can be used by all throughout the hunt.
It takes 8 days to harvest an elk we are running $10 of gas through each ATVs a day, so that alone would come to $70 and with food and drink we would probably be over the $25 and $100 amount.
Again the question is according to the way the law is written.
Would I be breaking the new law according to Bill HBOOO62 " Compisation for locating big game animals"

Vanilla
If I was to draw out for an elk hunt on the Boulder and my two brothers and two cousin's came along to help. My wife goes out and purchase the food I mean everything including water, soda pops and beer. She even makes some prepared meals. I purchase fuel that can be used by all throughout the hunt.
It takes 8 days to harvest an elk we are running $10 of gas through each ATVs a day, so that alone would come to $70 and with food and drink we would probably be over the $25 and $100 amount.
Would I be breaking the new law according to Bill HBOOO62 " Compisation for locating big game animals"
You might want to ask treedagain. He's the local expert on how the new bill applies to family hunts.

With the states historic general lack of genetic diversity in some areas of the Beehive state, these “FAMILY HUNTS” could be another gray area, and a can of worms. Whose to say your unemployed 2nd cousin shacked up with your sister in Grandmas unfinished basement can’t sit on a knob on your hunt Just because you throw him in excess of 25$ worth of Mt Ops. It’s gonna be helll for the C.O’s to enforce.

Vanilla

Scandalousbob- see what I mean? ^^

With the states historic general lack of genetic diversity in some areas of the Beehive state, these “FAMILY HUNTS” could be another gray area, and a can of worms. Whose to say your unemployed 2nd cousin shacked up with your sister in Grandmas unfinished basement can’t sit on a knob on your hunt Just because you throw him in excess of 25$ worth of Mt Ops. It’s gonna be helll for the C.O’s to enforce.
Hey, you leave treedagain's unemployed 2nd cousin out of this!

Almost as ridiculous as a school principal saying he will steal any trailcamera he finds on the mountain after an arbitrary date. Almost.

It would be totally enforceable. those 18 year old kids out scouting for WLH and MB won't be able to keep their mouth shut if they get a couple grand for spotting a big buck.

loose lips sink ships.
Couple grand? Those outfits give hats and shirts for payment, it's a privilege to work for such noble outfitters!

Rumor is someone got $10,000 for Spidey
I'm surprised that's all he got.

I had a guy tell me out of his own mouth he was offered $10k to find the moose for the Governor's Tag holder that my wife shot. The bull was hanging on the border and moved north into Idaho where we found him. This was first-hand and he is a known guide for one of the big outfitters. I fully believe him.

My dad killed the giant ram in my avatar this year, I can only imagine what he would've been worth if somebody had found him before the season and offered him up for a Finders Fee.

I'm hopeful the new rules may limit some of that a bit

She.

Conspiracy has it she drew multiple expo tags after that as a thanks

Spidey was a long time ago, can't imagine what stuff pays now.

That bull off the Cache this year I'm sure fetched a nice fee

Stop and think who posted it. Enough said....

The comment about not being able to enforce it needs to stop. Let's just don't make regulations in case we can't enforce it? That is ridiculous. I'm sure someone will get away with it, but I'm sure most people will follow the law. Also, once someone gets busted it will help cut down on those who dare try to get away with it. Most people will follow the law. I am all in favor of it. Nice job
How many officers gonna be tied up chasing their tails because a situation “looks like it could be guides”? How many innocent people are gonna be harassed while in the field because something looks suspicious when it actually isn’t? It’s not all about enforcing it. There can be big unintended consequences for creating certain restrictions.

How many officers gonna be tied up chasing their tails because a situation “looks like it could be guides”? How many innocent people are gonna be harassed while in the field because something looks suspicious when it actually isn’t? It’s not all about enforcing it. There can be big unintended consequences for creating certain restrictions.
I see what you are saying, but I don't think that will be much of a problem

I know what money was thrown around for that bull. It would shock you.

Sadly, it probably wouldn't.

I knew a few young bucks on construction sites that when they lost that bull, loaded up to head down and find it for the "glory" and a paycheck.

That whole fiasco, really was what opened my eyes to that corporate hunting industry.

I remember actually cheering for the bull to make it.

Unfortunately, that became the Utah way for a small group of outfitters.

It's why it's so funny listening to Doyle and Kalan speak in a meeting about "we are all in this together"

I know in my industry, we know who the hacks, and jackwagons are. I'm sure it's the same in yours

Last edited:
Sadly, it probably wouldn't.

I knew a few young bucks on construction sites that when they lost that bull, loaded up to head down and find it for the "glory" and a paycheck.

That whole fiasco, really was what opened my eyes to that corporate hunting industry.

I remember actually cheering for the bull to make it.

Unfortunately, that became the Utah way for a small group of outfitters.

It's why it's so funny listening to Doyle and Kalan speak in a meeting about "we are all in this together"

I know in my industry, we know who the hacks, and jackwagons are. I'm sure it's the same in yours
The guide who spent over 90 days, and refound it after the first snafu got a whole $1000 from Denny as a thank you.

That’s the giant check hoss. One whole thousand dollars. Doyle paid him for his time, standard rate cause Denny wasn’t flipping him a big check.

Dude spent 3 months straight baby sitting that bull.

The world of guides and outfitters is far less glorified than you’d like to believe.

The guide who spent over 90 days, and refound it after the first snafu got a whole $1000 from Denny as a thank you.

That’s the giant check hoss. One whole thousand dollars. Doyle paid him for his time, standard rate cause Denny wasn’t flipping him a big check.

The world of guides and outfitters is far less glorified than you’d like to believe.

That did surprise me.

Denny and Doyle would eat in Layton.

Couple guys I worked with said he bought them drinks, dinner.

I'm going off memory, but the story I heard is Heather Farrar sold him a video of it.

No, I believe they refer to a guide or outfitter that has been "retained" to locate animals. From the article: "retained" means a written or oral agreement for the delivery of outfitting services or hunting guide services between an outfitter or hunting guide and the recipient of those services.

Unless you have contracts with your family members, they don't qualify as "retained". Unless, of course, you actually do pay them to hunt for/with you as a "registered outfitter or guide".

I agree grizzly- In fact, ANY LAW EVER can be met with the same comment... ALL LAWS are enforced by observers of the broken law reporting it to law enforcement, who then investigate and gather evidence, and then prosecute with that evidence.

I can confirm what berry says here. I used to work with this fella. Nice guy--said he got a grand for Spidey. This is assuming it's the same guy--first name starts with a C

I can confirm what berry says here. I used to work with this fella. Nice guy--said he got a grand for Spidey. This is assuming it's the same guy--first name starts with a C
Sounds to be one and the same, but Can I buy a vowel?? I’m pretty sure I could solve the puzzle, but I’m still on the high fence about who it may be.
He sure as hellll deserves more than what he got. I hope he at least got a old skool original signed ball cap of the non red hat variety (non flat brim) and a bottle of his conservation Oak Creek Apple pile/bitter brush infused chard. Lotta small town boys have gotten the raw shaft for a hat and maybe a sticker for some intel over the decades.

1B6F1120-CEE5-457D-AE56-1EECC9AD1C42.jpeg

3D00FEEA-4657-402F-A042-3E0DCA63B58D.jpeg

The guy got 1000 bucks to watch an elk in a high fence for 90 days? I assume all the feed was paid for too??

So can a guide get a $$$$ Gift for his Birthday. Maybe he talks about a huge bull or Buck at his birthday party.

It’s time something’s done and it will be a process over time but, As Kaylynn said at the trail camera meeting “we are all in this together and we have 1 common goal”

View attachment 71223

View attachment 71224

View attachment 71225
Sounds to be one and the same, but Can I buy a vowel?? I’m pretty sure I could solve the puzzle, but I’m still on the high fence about who it may be.
He sure as hellll deserves more than what he got. I hope he at least got a old skool original signed ball cap of the non red hat variety (non flat brim) and a bottle of his conservation Oak Creek Apple pile/bitter brush infused chard. Lotta small town boys have gotten the raw shaft for a hat and maybe a sticker for some intel over the decades.

View attachment 71238

View attachment 71239
:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

If you would, please take a minute to read the end of the bill, in seriousness, I read the bill from last year, and it flat out says that an outfitter CAN compensate ONE personal ABOVE $25 to find an animal. Therefore, as long as the outfitters pays the finders fee and not the recipient(hunter), paying a single a finding fee to one kid is still legal? I'm not a lawyer, but I'm a CPA and read my share of contracts and legalese and this is not confusing or complicated. It seems to clearly allow it under the exception. Do you read this the same way? Why would they have put this exception in since all it appears to just instruct everyone to do it through the outfitter?

23-20-33. Limitation on compensating people to locate big game animals.
270 (a) "Compensate" or "compensated" means anything of value in excess of $25 that is
271 paid, loaned, given, granted, donated, or transferred to a person for or in consideration of
272 locating or monitoring the location of big game animals.
273 (b) "Retain" or "retained" means a written or oral agreement for the delivery of
274 outfitting services or hunting guide services between an outfitter or hunting guide and the
275 recipient of those services.
276 (2) Except as provided in Subsections (3) and (4), a person may not compensate
277 another person to locate or monitor the location of big game animals on public land in
278 connection with or furtherance of taking a big game animal under this title.
290 (4) A registered outfitter or hunting guide in good standing may compensate another
291 person to locate or monitor the location of big game animals on public land if:
292 (a) the outfitter or hunting guide has been retained by the recipient of the outfitting
293 services or hunting guide services to assist the recipient take a big game animal on public land;
294 (b) the recipient possesses the licenses and permits required to take a big game animal;
295 (c) the recipient is not simultaneously using another outfitter or hunting guide to assist
296 in taking the same species and sex of big game animal; and
297 (d) the outfitter or hunting guide compensates not more than one other individual to
298 locate or monitor the location of big game animals in connection with assisting the recipient
299 take a big game animal on public land.

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom