Binoculars around $1000

Hunter53

What is the best choice now days for 10x or 12x binoculars in the $1000 range give or take a little?
Obviously clearest image and low light capabilities are most important.

My son is upgrading and has a pair of Swarovski 10x42slc for just a little more than that. PM me or look on KSL classifieds.

In that price range I’d get the Kowa Genesis 10x33. It’s light and beautiful to look through. Can easily hold its own with all the top binos.

Had vortex,,,, numerous razor and other lines. Sold them all, cloudy, unclear, always breaking, and was not impressed. Save yourself the hassle and go with the zeiss conquest in that price range.

I think I want to stay with new as I don’t want to take a chance on getting glass that is scratched or something. I have always wanted to stick to new for optics stuff.
With Swarovski I wouldn’t worry about new vs used… lots of people have bought used, sent them in and ended up with new. I believe our slamdunk got to experience their great customer service and received a new version.

If you are looking for a bino/range finder combo look at a Sig Kilo 3000bdx. Really good glass and an amazing range finder.
I picked up a pair on Amazon for 950 ish last summer.
I went with these for two reasons. Good glass and Sig Sauer owning the laser ranging market right now. Of course, that's just an opinion...

How does Maven stack up with the others?
Good. Their eyecups are little big for my taste. They have a trial or borrow program to where you "rent" a pair to try for the price of used. If you like them you can just keep them at the discounted price or return them and order a new pair.

Roadrunner: Do you think the bigger eyecups would help or hurt those of us who wear glasses?

Last edited:
I would recommend against dropping in size to a 10x33

I tried some top of the line 10x32 Swarovski ELs due to compact size. Fantastic glass in good light. But they were only average in low light. My cheap 8x42s were as good in low light.

Stick with at least 10x42 for decent low light in any brand

I have Swarovski, Leica, Leupold, Vortex and Sig optics, and have dealt with warranty work with all over the years. I’ll never buy another Leica product. Enough said.

I have Swarovski, Leica, Leupold, Vortex and Sig optics, and have dealt with warranty work with all over the years. I’ll never buy another Leica product. Enough said.

What is your opinion of leupold? The leupold santiam is in the price range I am looking to spend.

What is your opinion of leupold? The leupold santiam is in the price range I am looking to spend.

I currently have a pair of 10X42 Cascades. They’ve been a very solid binocular. I’m looking to upgrade and have seriously considered the Santiams. I’m looking hard at the Mavins and Zeiss as well.

If weight really isn’t an issue then 10x50s would bring in more light.

But on your “go to” binocs for the next 20 years, I would think weight (and bulk) will be an issue.

So i went shopping today… I was set on the Zeiss Conquest’s… until I looked through them. Optics are great of course, but I was in no way a fan of the eye cups. Tried the Leupold Santiams and same thing, didn’t like the eye cups. Tried a pair of Vortex Razor UHD’s and really loved everything about them! I haven’t had a chance to look through the Meopta Meostars yet or the Mavens. Anyone in the Salt Lake area have a pair of Mavens I can handle? Lol (BTW, the Vortex were at the very bottom of my short-list but are moving their way up)

I have a Swaro slc 10x42 that is close to 20 years old and been to the shop once for a seal leak and fogging and another time for cleaning, both times they replaced parts that were outside the original repair purpose and no charge. I can sell them right now on the used market for at least what I paid. Pretty tough to do that with any other optic. Used Swarovski would be my choice.

I have a 15x56 Meopta that has stellar glass and the price was right. Only used it last year a d like them. My father in law has the same bino in 10x42 and it is equal optically to my 20 year old Swarovski. But I doubt resale and durability of these two compiled with customer service will equal Swarovski in the long run. But they would definitely be my second choice in your price range.

If your going to be buying new, go look through your options at low light. All the box stores will let you look through them outside. Don’t make your choice based on what you see in the store. The clear winners will separate themselves in low light, everything looks good during daylight.

I've had my Zeiss 10X40 "Classics" for 30+ years. They have been from to Kodiak Island to Africa and most of the western states in all kinds of weather and have never failed when other brands have that were either my brothers or other hunting buddies. They were $600.00 back then, I thought that was a lot of money then.

For $1,000, Meopta and it’s really not even close. Not a household name in the states like some of the other glass mentioned, but the glass is extremely high quality for the price. Honestly, I bet most on here have never looked through a pair… or this page would be full of them. I have Sworo’s, & Meopta’s. They are very close in clarity.

Last edited:
Razor HD 10x42’s is a better option for that price
Sorry, but that’s just not the case… American glass will never be on the level of European glass that’s just a fact. Vortex makes a “nice” product, but Swaro, Leica, Meopta are on another level. I’ve owned and compared all of the above in all sorts of lighting scenarios. It’s your money, but if I had a grand the choice would be easy.

Sport Optics is a good outfit. I have bought glass from them in the past and gotten great service. Looks like they might have a few in stock. $1,400, but looks like they are offering 16% off with provided promo code.

I couldn't get the 16% code to work but there is a 13% code that will work. I'm trying to decide between the 10X's or the 12X's, but the 12X's are out of stock. (sportoptics)

So $1200 on sale. Vortex razor HDs list for $1000. I got one on sale for $750. They are also much lighter. 21.5 Oz vs 31+ Oz. Makes the decision tougher. I am happy with my 10 x 42 razors.

I bought some 2 year old, great condition 8.5x42 EL Swarovisions for $1650 on Ebay. SLCs would have been cheaper

For all of them, remember you have to pay sales tax. Used to be able to get away without that of came from another state, but not any more unless you buy them from an individual.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom