Binoculars For Sheep Hunting

R

Ramchaser

Hi, I'm new to this site, first posting. I need an opinion on binoculars for sheep hunting. I live in British Columbia and have hunted sheep for years and always used 8x42's. My old pair are starting to get badly beaten-up. I've started to research binoculars and I am going to purchase a pair of Swarovski's, but I'm not sure if I should get the 10x42 or the 8.5x42? I am leaning towards the 8.5x42, because my old 8 powers worked fine for me. Any opinions?

Cheers, Ramchaser

Just got to say great site. I live in the East Kootenay's, but i love to hunt sheep all over the province. Cheers, Ramchaser

Here is my dilemma, sorry if this is long winded. From all the researching I have done on binoculars it seems to me that it boils down to a few important factors; exit pupil diameter, relative geometric brightness, and twilight factor. The exit pupil diameter is easily determined by dividing the objective lens diameter by the magnification, example 8 divide by 42= 5.25, so your exit pupil is 5.25mm. This is very important for several reasons; to reduce eye fatigue, the amount of light that is allowable to enter the eye, and ultimately the brightness of the image. The human eye when young and healthy can open and accept 5.2mm of light entering the retina. As we age this amount is reduces. So for binoculars to have maximum benefit the exit pupil has to be close to this number (5.2mm). If your exit pupil is equal or greater than 5.2mm the less fatigue your eyes experience, so the longer you can glass. For example 8x56?s the exit pupil is 7mm, so it's easy for your eye to compensate in low light conditions. Therefore, the 8.5x42 have an eye relief of 4.9mm and the 10x42?s have an eye relief of 4.2mm. So the 8.5x42 create less fatigue during low light conditions. Relative geometric brightness determines brightness capabilities of the binocular, not to be confused with the quality of glass, just how bright they can be by there dimensions, the exit pupil and objective lens combine. So the calculation to determine this is; the objective diameter divided by exit pupil and then squared. Examples; 42 divide by 8.5= 4.94 squared=24.4 is the relative brightness, for the 10x42?s the relative brightness is 17.64 and say for 8x56?s,the relative brightness is 49. The higher the factor the brighter the glass, but you have to remember your eye can only allow in so much, so there can be over kill. Twilight factor can not be confused with brightness and is a direct correlated function of magnification.
So I find it difficult not to go with the 8.5x42?s, I'm not sure if I want to sacrifice brightness, field of view, and eye fatigue for 1.5 extra magnification? I am trying to consider size or I might of even considered the 8x56?s. I am going to purchase top quality bin?s because I feel that your binoculars are one of your most important tools for hunting sheep. With long hours of glassing and most animal activities in low light conditions, dawn and dusk. Well that's my dilemma, what are your thoughts?
Cheers, Ramchaser

Ramchaser: I have zero experience in Sheep hunting, but hunt coues here in AZ where all the desert sheep hunters hunt. I would think when its all said and done, a little extra power despite the extra eyestrain is worth it. If not, you can only glass so far, so you end up moving more often and therefore you trade the eyestrain for the extra wear/tear on your body hiking. I actually carry the 10x42's and pack the 15x56 Swaro's and a tripod with me. The glass is more important than the gun in finding trophy animals.......... Allen Taylor......

Ramchaser,

Last year I had to send in my Swarovski's for cleaning and a few minor tweaks. Long story short, they sent me a pair of 8x56's as a loaner. They are awesome bino's, they gather a crapload of light but I was at an extreme disadvantage while glassing. We were looking for desert sheep at farther than a mile and sometimes we could see just very little of the sheep. When I would compare the 8's to the 10's the difference was amazing! Just that extra 2x made the difference for me and I swore never to hunt deserts again without at leat 10x binos and a great spotting scope.

Drummond

Ramchaser'
I believe in the Tim-the tool man- Taylor concept of binos---more Power. Seriously, I think you are over analyzing, when sheep hunting you are looking at great distances and all day long. The couple of minutes you may gain in early AM glassing is insignificant when looking at the total day. It would be more important if you were hunting something like whitetails that tend to be much more nocturnal. Any who good luck on your sheep hunts.

from the "Heartland of Wyoming"

I have the 10x42's and they are awesome. I used them on my desert sheep hunt and they were great. I also have a doubler to put on one side so I don't have to pack a spotting scope. I am headed to British Co. this fall after stone sheep. Can't hardly wait!!

Swarovski 10x42 SLC, great light gathering and powerful enough for any big game hunting.
Thats what I hunt with everywhere.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom