Binoculars

dextron

what is a good pair, not overly large, that is good and easy to look through for the hunt, but does not break the bank? I know this is another product that one can potential spend all they want to... so whats the best bang for the buck in 10x?
I honestly thought about just carrying an old rifle scope for the task...

you have a specific model of leupold you can prescribe for me?
It depends upon your budget. You can buy a good pair in the $300 range or spend more depending what you want. I don’t see much difference between their $300 and $500 models. Or there are more expensive models. Go to a store and try out a few and see what you think.

It depends upon your budget. You can buy a good pair in the $300 range or spend more depending what you want. I don’t see much difference between their $300 and $500 models. Or there are more expensive models. Go to a store and try out a few and see what you think.
Alright man, thanks

I agree with Gunnihunter, I've had Leupold scopes and binos for years and really like them and you can never go wrong with Leupold in my opinion. I also bought Maven binos and a spotting scope this year and really like them as well. Lots of good brands out there, sometimes it comes down to preference. I'd have to say though that best bang for my buck has been the Maven optics. I was actually surprised how good they are. They have several different levels and any one of the levels are good quality in my opinion.

I've been using Vortex for the past couple years. I've been happy with them.

As someone already suggested, go to a store and try different pairs in your price range. Be sure and walk outside with them. Once you find a pair to your liking, you can shop prices. Call Doug over at camera land before you buy, they’ll treat you right.

Where are you hunting, and how much do you actually plan on using them?
I just got back from a 7 day elk hunt, and I spent about 70 hours behind binos on that one hunt. Add to that, another 30+ hours on a 3 day pronghorn hunt in August. Plus, probably 100+ hours scouting. It was a slow year for me.

I have thousands of hours scouting and hunting behind binos. Buy the absolute best glass you can if you plan on using them. It is not just the appearance of clarity that is important. Color, crispness, ability to cut glare, edge to edge clarity, lack of fish eye, depth of field, and eye fatigue are all huge factors in how great binoculars differ from OK binoculars. If you can't glass for an hour without having a headache, pass on them. Save your dollars for another year, then buy the best you can afford.

Lancetkenyon is right on the money with his post. You get what you pay for with optics. To me it’s worth every penny investing in Swaro or Leica. You can save a large chunk by buying a nearly new pair of demos or in the classified section of websites like Rokslide. Most guys also have a rangefinder. I would suggest a bino/rangefinder combo so you aren’t paying for and hauling around both. If you do a lot of time behind glass I definitely wouldn’t skimp on binos or you will likely be buying another pair down the road.

A great binocular, not expensive, is the Athlon Optics Ares 10x42 Binocular which is on sale for only $249.99, reduced from $399.99.

• ED Glass- High definition glass: ED glass gives you an image with little or no chromatic fringe so the final result brings a clearer and sharper image to your eyes
  • ESP Dielectric Coating- Enhanced Spectral Prism Dielectric Coating: ESP Dielectric Coating is a multi layer prism coating that reflects over 99% of the light to your eyes bringing you a clear, bright image that displays accurate color reproduction.
  • Lightweight Magnesium Chassis: Magnesium chassis give you the strength of a metal chassis while reducing the weight as much as 35%
  • XPL Coating- Xtra Protective Layer coating: XPL Coating gives you an extra protection on the exterior lenses from dirt, oil and scratches
  • Phase Corrected prisms: Phase corrected prisms produce images that have better contrast, a higher resolution and better color reproduction
  • BaK4 prisms: Bak-4 glass prisms reflect more light to your eyes which will give you brighter and sharper image.
  • Advanced FMC: Advanced Fully Multi-Coated lenses gives you better light transmission to bring optimum brightness and true color across the entire light spectrum.
  • Long Eye Relief: Long eye relief can be particularly important for eyeglass wearers because longer eye relief allows them to still see the entire field of view.
  • Close Focus: Close focus is important for those who are nature observers and especially important if you are going to watch butterflies or insects
  • Twist Up Eyecups: Twist up eyecups with intermediate stops allow you to set the eyecups to the ideal eye relief for you eyes
  • Waterproof: Waterproof to protect the binocular in the harshest weather conditions or if accidentally submerged underwater
  • Argon Purged: Argon purging gives you better waterproofing and thermal stability

Vortex optics for the money I think can't be beat have the 10x50 diamondback extremely clear glass and viper 15x50s which are more of a tripod bino. The warranty and customer service are top notch no questions asked.

I bought a couple pair of Bushnell engage 10x42's about two years ago. For $130 they will blow you away. There are right there with anything in the $500 range. That exo barrier coating really works at keeping stuff from sticking to the lenses.

I used to run from anything that said Bushnell (like I do now with Vortex) but they have come a long way the past few years.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Great Deals at Camera Land

Camera Land - Optics, Cameras, & More

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics
Back
Top Bottom