Bipod on backpack hunt

schoolhousegrizz

Very Active Member
How many of you take a bipod on your backpack hunts? I hate the awkwardness of carrying the rifle with the bipod. Love shooting with the bipod in certain situations though. What say you?

i have a cheapo plastic on that clamps on to a picatiny rail on my front swivel. its always in my hip pocket of my pack. i maybe use it 50% of the time but when i do need it its nice to have.

I do use a Harris bipod and it is heavy and it gets snagged on stuff it also gives me confidence I'll make any reasonable shot. I'm a long ways from a boomer and I have used a backpack at times. I like to have both options.

I do use a Harris bipod and it is heavy and it gets snagged on stuff it also gives me confidence I'll make any reasonable shot. I'm a long ways from a boomer and I have used a backpack at times. I like to have both options.
Don’t shoot too far, if you miss you’ll hit your neighbors cows!

I used a bipod as a kid but took it off many years ago. As I get older, the more weight I can shed off my shoulders the better. It's pretty tough to beat shooting prone off a backpack. In Wyo where the wind howls...the closer you can get to the ground the better.

I see where a bipod would be great to have in Nebraska and Kansas tall grass country or other areas with lots of tall brush but most places I've hunted in Colo, Wyo, and Alaska I really haven't neededone.. I almost always have my spotting scope and tripod with me and slip my rifle between the spotter and the rotating arm if a backpack doesn't work

Look at the hatch out west. I love it. You can quick detach/attach it via a rail. For me, having a guaranteed solid rest is worth the extra weight. Plus I love the ability to set gun down safely and easily vs looking for something to lean it on.

I had mine on my last backpack hunt, BUT, I didn’t pack everything in in one trip. If I had been loading my pack with everything, I might have pulled the bipod. Maybe.

I keep mine on almost all hunts.

I’m for shaving weight, but not by eliminating things that help in the big moment.

I would consider removing it if I had my tripod with me for spotting and could throw a gun clamp on there OR trekking poles with the little clamp that turns them into shooting sticks.

Those would be a couple other ways to accomplish a similar rest while using gear for dual purposes.

I have the short ones on my 7mag, .45-70 and .50 cal Muzzy's.

Mainly because I don't like to lay my guns down in the dirt/mud/snow while I take a quick glass on an animal.

Plus, I don't like to lean against a tree nor do I like to lay it down while boning a harvest out ect.

Robb

IMG_7123.jpg

It’s sounds to me like your rifle is to nice to be out in the elements. I’d stay with your bi-pod

I agree, the most solid rest for me is a bipod. If I can get prone with my harris as a front rest and my pack as back rest, I’m capable of shooting as well as I do with sandbags from a bench.

I used this set up on Monday to kill a buck. A 350 yard shot isn’t all that difficult but if I have time to set up it is nice to know with 99% confidence that I can hit within 1 MOA of where I’m aiming.

45-FB8-D4-B-349-A-44-CB-93-C3-AFA0229-BE573.jpg

I have a Harris bipod with me a majority of the time while hunting. If I’m doing a lot hiking I leave it in my backpack. If I have a rushed shot, I can use my backpack as a rest, my trekking poles, shoot off hand or find something else as a rest. I’ve used all kinds of things as a rest while hunting (rocks, logs, standing trees, etc). When calling coyotes I often use a hog saddle connected to a heavy tripod as a rest. In most hunting shooting situations I have more than enough time to get my Harris bipod out of my pack and attach it to my gun and set up for a prone shot.

Check out the Javelin Bi-Pod by Spartan Precision Equipment. Extremely lightweight, you can leave it in your pack until you need it. You can literally attach it in a few seconds.

I carry a Primo pole cat bipod shooting stick, 25-62 inches. It weighs just a shade over one pound. The quality isn't great, but it sure is light and solid. I personally struggle with the gun-mounted bipods and tripods (probably because of the way I hunt- I know others just love them).

Not using a bipod because of the added weight? Can't be serious.. Just lose 2 lbs of body weight and you're in the same spot..
shaving two lbs off your belly doesn't do crap for weight on your back. Shave the two lbs off your belly and sell your worthless bipod. You're be skinnier which is always a plus and you can use the extra money to buy useful stuff.

The truck window sill works for me 99% of the time.
Do you roll the window down or open the door and put the rifle in the gap? It’s more sporting to open the door and risk the sound scaring the animal.

I’m nearly a boomer, but over the years I’ve used a Harris bipod, a set of shooting sticks, trekking poles and my backpack.

These days I tend to just carry my trekking poles. Shot seated off the pack stood on end for my elk this year. Worked find for 230y, woulda been junk at 400y so I like both options.

When I was in Africa I use two Snipods -- one for sitting & one for standing. They worked fairly well & they are very compact & lightweight.

P.S. I also did a truck window sill ala eel. :rolleyes: It was merely to get another springbok on the last day out of the home herd so I had a full hide to tan.

How many of you take a bipod on your backpack hunts? I hate the awkwardness of carrying the rifle with the bipod. Love shooting with the bipod in certain situations though. What say you?
I've been using Tony Diebold's shooting sticks for the last 15+ years. Lightweight and easy to use.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom