Bird hunters

LIK2HNT

Long Time Member
Question for all you bird hunters hunting quail, chucker, and wild pheasant. What are you shooting? Steel, Tungsten, Bismuth, ???
I know steel works like crap on turkeys, so I have been loading Tungsten and it’s not cheap. Have not hunted upland birds since before the lead band, yet would like to get back into it. Might just have to start hunting across the boarder in Nevada to use up all my lead shot.
Thanks
Bill

I’ve had great luck with the Kent Upland Fasteel #6 and #7. There are no pheasants where I live in the Eastern Sierras so I can’t attest to the best load for them but the above load works well for chukar and quail. I use tungsten for turkeys as well but as you mentioned, it ain’t cheap. Steel is super cheap by comparison at about $25-30/box for 25 shells.

Question for all you bird hunters hunting quail, chucker, and wild pheasant. What are you shooting? Steel, Tungsten, Bismuth, ???
I know steel works like crap on turkeys, so I have been loading Tungsten and it’s not cheap. Have not hunted upland birds since before the lead band, yet would like to get back into it. Might just have to start hunting across the boarder in Nevada to use up all my lead shot.
Thanks
Bill
I use winchester #7 steel on dove and quail i have to admit it works very well .

If you can afford it, bismuth works wonderful. If not shoot steel at em. Inside 30 yards it don't matter what you shoot as long as you hit em

Steel works great on grouse and turkey, so long as its on a Judo point or broadhead. For shotgunning, I am having so much trouble finding ammo that I am considering reloading again. TSS is expensive, but it should only take a pinch of #9 to kill quail and doves, so it should go a long way. Has any MMer had good results loading TSS in the smaller gauges?

Steel works great on grouse and turkey, so long as its on a Judo point or broadhead. For shotgunning, I am having so much trouble finding ammo that I am considering reloading again. TSS is expensive, but it should only take a pinch of #9 to kill quail and doves, so it should go a long way. Has any MMer had good results loading TSS in the smaller gauges?
Just 20 ga. so far. Biggest problems I am having is getting all the components for a load.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

California Guides & Outfitters

Western Wildlife Adventures

Offering some fine Blacktail Deer hunting, Wild Pig hunts, Turkey hunts and Waterfowl hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer the top private land hunts in all of California, for blacktail deer, elk, pigs, bison and turkeys.

G & J Outdoors

Offering Tule elk hunts for bulls and cows on a 17,000 acre Ranch in Laytonville, CA with 100% success.

Back
Top Bottom