Black Coyote

thf outdoors

Have you ever trapped or shot a black coyote? I have never even seen one and I was wondering where you could see them.

Zeke

Long Time Member
Seen and shot a metric butt-ton of coyotes out west and never seen one.
Dang, they're beautiful critters however!

Zeke

LIK2HNT

Very Active Member
Never seen or heard of one.
If you saw one out west here you would let it walk thinking it was someone’s dog.

dgwoody

My boys like to watch Fred Eckler on Predator Nation. He missed one back east (Georgia I believe) somewhere on an episode they were just watching. Must be a genetic thing in that area for melanistic dogs.

JPickett

Very Active Member
This is awesome

AC0BB082-6FCA-4925-BC1F-8EDC1EF9049C.png

heartshot

Very Active Member
Please shoot every black coyote you see. No license required in Utah.
Also it is possible for black coyotes to be a big bigger than average colored coyotes. :)

k22hornet

I have shot a lot of coyotes, and never shot, nor seen, a black one.

Late one snowy afternoon, I crested a ridge and saw a coyote maybe 150yds away. I sat down to shoot, and an Irish Setter appears in the scope, next to what I thought was a coyote, so now I don't trust that I actually saw a coyote, thinking it's 2 farm dogs out and about.
Put down the rifle, and look through the bino's, and, sure enough, they are both coyotes. Back to the rifle, and my view is being obscured by the falling snow, and did not get a shot at either.

I hunted that property several more times that season and never saw the red one again. I have, however, shot a number of coyotes on that property that were heavily colored red for a few years, then the coyote colors went back to 'normal'.

They are fascinating animals.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Top Bottom