Black Coyote

thf outdoors

Have you ever trapped or shot a black coyote? I have never even seen one and I was wondering where you could see them.

Seen and shot a metric butt-ton of coyotes out west and never seen one.
Dang, they're beautiful critters however!

Zeke

Never seen or heard of one.
If you saw one out west here you would let it walk thinking it was someone’s dog.

My boys like to watch Fred Eckler on Predator Nation. He missed one back east (Georgia I believe) somewhere on an episode they were just watching. Must be a genetic thing in that area for melanistic dogs.

This is awesome

AC0BB082-6FCA-4925-BC1F-8EDC1EF9049C.png

I have shot a lot of coyotes, and never shot, nor seen, a black one.

Late one snowy afternoon, I crested a ridge and saw a coyote maybe 150yds away. I sat down to shoot, and an Irish Setter appears in the scope, next to what I thought was a coyote, so now I don't trust that I actually saw a coyote, thinking it's 2 farm dogs out and about.
Put down the rifle, and look through the bino's, and, sure enough, they are both coyotes. Back to the rifle, and my view is being obscured by the falling snow, and did not get a shot at either.

I hunted that property several more times that season and never saw the red one again. I have, however, shot a number of coyotes on that property that were heavily colored red for a few years, then the coyote colors went back to 'normal'.

They are fascinating animals.

I have killed a lot of coyotes. A LOT.

Never have I ever seen a black coyote in person. I know they exist. Don't know why they don't seem to exist out west.

I have shot a lot of coyotes, and never shot, nor seen, a black one.

Late one snowy afternoon, I crested a ridge and saw a coyote maybe 150yds away. I sat down to shoot, and an Irish Setter appears in the scope, next to what I thought was a coyote, so now I don't trust that I actually saw a coyote, thinking it's 2 farm dogs out and about.
Put down the rifle, and look through the bino's, and, sure enough, they are both coyotes. Back to the rifle, and my view is being obscured by the falling snow, and did not get a shot at either.

I hunted that property several more times that season and never saw the red one again. I have, however, shot a number of coyotes on that property that were heavily colored red for a few years, then the coyote colors went back to 'normal'.

They are fascinating animals.
Someone needs more magnification and a clearer rifle scope. ??

Have seen a couple in the SE US. One in SC during spring turkey season and another in NC during deer season. Also know of a couple others being killed.

Have seen black, red, and the normal gray coyotes, all in the same general area. East coast. The black one was biggest, definitely some wolf genes going on. The red ones are gorgeous! I have never shot a coyote, might need to get a pelt of each if opportunity presents itself again.

I hunt N IL, tried to shoot a black one with my bow last year when I ran into walking to my spot, but he saw me before I could get the shot off. On the flip side, I shot a white one this year with my bow but he fell into the creek and floated away. Creek was too deep and moving too fast to retrieve him. That location is loaded with them. I shot 4 during deer season, and could have shot an additional 3 or 4, but I hunt on the ground and didn't want to lose any more arrows/broadleads to coyotes.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom