Blackbuck gun

bigjake

Hey guys, I’ve got my first blackbuck hunt scheduled in Texas in a few weeks. I have a 6.5 Swede that I shoot with 140 grain Accubonds and it’s a great little shooter but I don’t use it much because I’m always nervous it won’t be enough for mule deer and elk out west. But is that enough gun for blackbuck? Thanks in advance for any advice.

Thanks guys. That helps. I’ll stick with my plan to use the Swede. I know hunters up in Canada have been using the Swede to kill moose for a long time, so not sure why I’m nervous about it on Muleys and elk, but I guess I always figure if I make a less than perfect shot, my 7mag will create more trauma that the Swede.

I will add that the shot needs to be a little further forward than what you would consider normal because their vitals are set more up between their shoulders. If you happen to get just a little far back, you will miss the back of the lungs. Most blackbucks are small in stature, so the sweet spot is smaller as well. My daughter killed a nice buck with a perfect shot from a .243. Only went about 20 yards. I messed up and hit a buck just a few inches back of where she did, and I had to track for long ways, and make a finishing shot. They can be tough little critters if not hit perfectly.

Where? I was at my ranch near Junction watching some this evening. They are beautiful animals, but they are not that big. You have plenty of gun. We normally use a 243 on them.
F82DAB7E-82E4-4A3B-8862-6232652AF2F6.jpeg
AA003960-DD6F-47F6-AC11-A6E2B2289B36.jpeg

Great pics-thanks for sharing. We’re hunting a ranch that’s approx 20 minutes from lampasas. I hope I get to use the Swede but I’m having trouble with the bolt all of a sudden. Extractor isn’t ejecting the spent casing. Hopefully I can figure out what going on this week. If not I’ll have to use the 7 Rem mag.

Well we dodged the crazy weather in west Texas long enough to squeeze a one day hunt out of it. Wasn’t able to get the bolt on the Swede repaired so I ended up using my 7 Rem mag. One shot at 450 and I was able to lay hands on my first blackbuck. In my mind they are the most beautiful big game animal in the world. Had an awesome hunt, and thanks to all who gave advice and encouragement.
89BC4156-528C-483E-B842-A5327DF68AC1.jpeg

07BB7215-52EC-4D9C-B4B6-0251D6DD4435.jpeg

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Texas Guides & Outfitters

West Texas Hunting

Private land free range hunts for native and exotic game on nearly 1 million acres in west Texas.

Urge 2 Hunt

Deer/Elk tags - DIY or guided for all species. Many guaranteed tags for trophy hunts.

Vargo Hunting

300k acres for free range auodad, mule deer, elk, whitetail and all the Texas exotics.

Back
Top Bottom