Blackhorn 209 anywhere?

ElmerFudd

Very Active Member
Anyone seen BH 209 for sale anywhere? I think Hogdon bought Western and haven't seen it on line in stock anywhere, except for the few the GunBroker gougers are listing.

Pretty darn scarce around , I would check smaller gun shops around your area, all big outfits are sold out . Even some muzz bullets are out of stock , so buy them when you can . good luck

Blackhorn being in short supply isn't exactly new. There have been a couple years when it has been in short supply. Keep your eyes out and you'll find some. Never pass up looking in the mom and pop stores.

It has been really scarce, bought some on gunbroker when the shortages started. I have been looking everywhere and have not found anymore.

Rich

Picked up 4 cans in Jan so I’m set for a little while. If I see any I’ll let you know.

Our local gun shop has a lot of pellets and some 209 once in awhile. I thought i was an idiot when i bought 20 boxes of pellets and 20 packages of bullets . I am pretty fortunate that only a handful of us around here shoot muzzys

Just checked Cabelas, Bass Pro and Hodgon sites. Says not available online at this time for first 2 and out of stock on Hodgon.

I've got some i will not be using. Toooo many misfires for my liking. Sticking to 777 in my gun. If your close to Albuquerque I'll let it go cheap.

I ordered (2) bottles this morning from Cableas online. Couldn’t believe it was in stock after looking everyday for weeks.

Out of stock already.....
Yup. I think I got the last (2). You pretty much have to look daily. I called Hodgdon and the guy said when western sold to them that they shipped everything they had out and left Hodgdon with 0 inventory. He said they will making one more batch and shipping in 2 weeks then there done making it until the fall.

Yup. I think I got the last (2). You pretty much have to look daily. I called Hodgdon and the guy said when western sold to them that they shipped everything they had out and left Hodgdon with 0 inventory. He said they will making one more batch and shipping in 2 weeks then there done making it until the fall.
If that's the case I'm glad I bought three cans!!

I've got some i will not be using. Toooo many misfires for my liking. Sticking to 777 in my gun. If your close to Albuquerque I'll let it go cheap.
I’ve shot lots of blackhorn and never had a misfire.
You should be using 209 shotshell primers with blackhorn powder.
If you’re insisting you don’t want it I will be happy to take it off your hands.

I’ve shot lots of blackhorn and never had a misfire.
You should be using 209 shotshell primers with blackhorn powder.
If you’re insisting you don’t want it I will be happy to take it off your hands.
I’ll second that - no issues with misfires in the hundreds of BH209 shots I’ve fired!

Could be , I use 209 primers and my son had two pops when nice antelope in his cross hairs. Rifle and breech squeaky clean. Just my opinion but I've never had issues shooting 777, hence my decision.

I've never had a misfire with 209 with 100s of shots fired. Use hot primers. i use cci or federal. I also clean the breech plug with a pick for the small hole and a 1/8 drill. as little bull says lots of build up. Google it and there are several you tube videos showing how bad the hard carbon build up is and how to clean it.

I ordered some from Cabelas a week ago when it showed in stock, no updates yet. Anyone else actually have an order get delivered?

I ordered some from Cabelas a week ago when it showed in stock, no updates yet. Anyone else actually have an order get delivered?
No updates yet on my Bass Pro pick-up order either. But it generally takes them a while.

I just checked my order that is in route. Says it's now in the Chicago area. Supposedly it will be delivered on Monday.

Same here never a mis-fire. Have to shoot the right primers
100% Agree- I have an TC Encore and did a test at the range one year by firing 33 rounds using Blackhorn 209 without cleaning between shots. Not one misfire and accuracy stayed consistent. It's a low residue high performance powder with very good accuracy. I Harvested a B&C Buck that fall at 103 yards in Kansas with one shot thru the heart with that powder. Typically there is a lot less fouling with this powder as those of us know that use it.

My three cans arrived.

20210504_083830.jpg

View attachment 39314
Is this a good price? ?

Ahhhh, NO!

There has been 5 canisters of BH 209 the past several weeks on the shelf with no one buying it. $52.99.

Lot's of ammo starting to show up and is sitting on shelves. 9MM has been in stock every time I am at our local store. They raised the limit to two boxes now as well. More Primers and powder as well.

Just fyi, my new powder by Hogdon seems to be about 110 grains volumetric equivalent for 84 grains of weight both in my measure and these tubes. The old Western loading data said 84 grains by weight is 120 grains. It seemed about 117 grain equivalent in my measure and in these tubes. What does that mean? I didn't have a chronograph and these gave good groups at 100 yards and felt strong enough that my shoulder hurt so I'll wait till next weekend to shoot at 200 yards.

IMG_20210508_171240415_HDR.jpg

Anyone seen BH 209 for sale anywhere? I think Hogdon bought Western and haven't seen it on line in stock anywhere, except for the few the GunBroker gougers are listing.
I know I am late to the race for this black gold...Blackhorn 209. I bought a new gun this morning and just finding out how hard it is to get powder....ughhh! Any tips, tricks or insight is greatly appropriated! Looked all over Northern Utah today

Scarce is right. I’ve bought it from Sportsman’s and Bass Pro/Cabelas (all owned now by Bass Pro ?) in the past couple months. I’d keep an eye on those places.

It will come up, keep checking. It hasn't been on the market as Western put everything they had on the market before selling to Hogdon. The new stuff is Hogdon so they are in production and distribution now.

Just fyi, my new powder by Hogdon seems to be about 110 grains volumetric equivalent for 84 grains of weight both in my measure and these tubes. The old Western loading data said 84 grains by weight is 120 grains. It seemed about 117 grain equivalent in my measure and in these tubes. What does that mean? I didn't have a chronograph and these gave good groups at 100 yards and felt strong enough that my shoulder hurt so I'll wait till next weekend to shoot at 200 yards.

View attachment 39335
those tubes suck for measuring blackhorn by the chart on them. They can be off by 10+ grains per tube if you are just filling them to a line. Measuring Blackhorn 209 by volume just isn't real accurate. If you pour it fast or from different angles the density (compaction) varies. However you can still get good accuracy with slightly varying powder charges.

Now I only use those tubes as speed loaders and hope that the occasional lid doesn't come off in my pocket.

Good friend just ordered BH209 through Powder Valley. With Shipping and Hazmat, he said it was approximately $50/per. Less if you order more. He got his BH209 in less than a week. Just a heads up. It’s a bit more than buying local but is available. Good luck.

Good friend just ordered BH209 through Powder Valley. With Shipping and Hazmat, he said it was approximately $50/per. Less if you order more. He got his BH209 in less than a week. Just a heads up. It’s a bit more than buying local but is available. Good luck.
It shows out of stock now. I have a couple bottles but I probably ought to find some more. On the bright side none of my kids drew deer tags this year so I won't be going through nearly as much :)

Some triple 7 today. I loaded up on some 50 and 30 grain pellets along with 209 primers. Got enough to supply me for years

20210515_124254.jpg

only thing is you cant use pellets in Colorado

Zero plans to hunt Colorado. A muzzy is just a hobby right now and fill some doe tags. Thats it..

Now if i ever decide to expand i will keep my current setup and maybe get another CVA and set that up with 209.

Sounds like a plan , I like my CVA Acurra v2 LR
I started cheap with a wolf. Falling in love with this new hobby. Well year and half into it. The acurra is on top of my list and the optima. Also thinking about just open sights if montana's new rule goes into effect

Come On nfh!

Throw That TRASH Away & Use the Good Stuff!

JUDAS!

Nooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. I live in a area where muzzleloader supplies are rare. So my choice for pellets is cause thats what the store had. Plus my first muzzy was a pistol..i started with the pellets and just what I got use to. Its what i had to start with the rifle.
Dont worry. When i get another muzzy it will be open sights with this ohh so wonderful 209. ????????. Just be patient

Anyone seen any in stock lately? I’ve been looking everywhere without any luck. I have a while before my Wasatch bull tag, but I’d rather not have to worry about finding powder as the hunt gets closer.

None anywhere online that I can find. $100 plus shipping on Gunbroker if you’re desperate.

Has anyone else noticed that you can buy Blackhorn 209 if you live in Canada?
That is curious as hell to me!!!
Its made here in the US. Why is it we have a shortage & they don’t?
I have more than my fair share now, but it took me awhile to locate some.

BEND OVER Boys!
No kidding! I’m all for Capitalism, but when I see people selling Blackhorn for $79.99 - $99.00 for a 10oz can, they should be fined IMO.
Why was it illegal to blow up prices on toilet paper, hand sanitizer & masks but this is OK? BULL SH!T!!!

Just ordered some off Natchez Shooters Supply. Charge went through and I got a confirmation email, but when I go to pull up the link to the powder on their website it says 404 page not found. Hopefully my powder shows up. Haha

Just ordered some off Natchez Shooters Supply. Charge went through and I got a confirmation email, but when I go to pull up the link to the powder on their website it says 404 page not found. Hopefully my powder shows up. Haha
That’s not good... maybe you bought the last that they had. A few days ago their site said “Sold out”.

That’s not good... maybe you bought the last that they had. A few days ago their site said “Sold out”.
That’s what I had been seeing. The page still won’t pull up, but I have more blackhorn in my cart and it seems like it would let me check out if I tried.

That’s what I had been seeing. The page still won’t pull up, but I have more blackhorn in my cart and it seems like it would let me check out if I tried.
Hopefully you receive what you have already paid for & the don’t place you on a back order list.
I really like Natchez. I discovered them a few years ago & always check their site before I buy something m. If they have it, it’s usually cheaper than anywhere else.

I feel like Scrooge McDuck swimming in money. I am willing to trade for a new truck and a full tank of gas. JK

I now have 8 bottles of BH209 and 1000 CCI Mag primers. I am now set for my family’s two muzzleloader elk hunts. Colorado 201 cow for my son and NM unit 15 for me. We are going through a bottle every two weeks shooting for our hunts.

I never thought I would be posting a trophy photo of powder but…I feel that is where we are at now.

DFB58500-24C0-4776-8509-D1BC615D3723.jpeg

I feel like Scrooge McDuck swimming in money. I am willing to trade for a new truck and a full tank of gas. JK

I now have 8 bottles of BH209 and 1000 CCI Mag primers. I am now set for my family’s two muzzleloader elk hunts. Colorado 201 cow for my son and NM unit 15 for me. We are going through a bottle every two weeks shooting for our hunts.

I never thought I would be posting a trophy photo of powder but…I feel that is where we are at now.

View attachment 45258
The "trophy" powder pic cracked me up!

I'm reading down through here trying to find it too. I'm going on my first elk hunt ever with my son as my guide this November in NM 15 as well. I'm super excited....just hope we don't have to throw rocks at him. LOL I have been checking all of the sites everyone has mentioned and am hopeful that I'll catch one of them in stock in the next month or so.

I hope you and your son both have excellent hunts.

I just had all of my muzzleloading equipment and powder and spotting scopes, etc stolen out of my pickup on Saturday night (including 2 full and 1 partial container of Blackhorn 209). I am going to Utah in 13 days on an elk hunt and I don't have any powder and am desperate as I don't have time to work up another load for my muzzle loader using something else. I managed to find the bullets and other stuff muzzleloading stuff ($400 later).

If there is someone out there that can help me by selling just a single container of it I would be eternally grateful. You can call or text me at 661-332-5535. or email me at [email protected]

I just had all of my muzzleloading equipment and powder and spotting scopes, etc stolen out of my pickup on Saturday night (including 2 full and 1 partial container of Blackhorn 209). I am going to Utah in 13 days on an elk hunt and I don't have any powder and am desperate as I don't have time to work up another load for my muzzle loader using something else. I managed to find the bullets and other stuff muzzleloading stuff ($400 later).

If there is someone out there that can help me by selling just a single container of it I would be eternally grateful. You can call or text me at 661-332-5535. or email me at [email protected]
I’ll text you later today. I’m in Utah and have some on hand. I’m done with muzzleloader hunting for the year, other than a cow tag, so I can definitely spare some.

Does anyone have any BH209 available? I want to take my wife hunting in a couple weeks. I didn't realize I was so low. I haven't needed any and didn't realize it was so hard to come by? My phone # is 319-795-6711, been looking everywhere not sure what else to try.

Looking for some black horn 209 if anyone has some to it would be great down to a few loads and still have 3 wks or so left in deer season. Give me a call 585-455-2718. Kevin

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom