BLACKHORN 209 SHRINKFLATION!

deadibob

Long Time Member
So those of you who have recently bought blackhorn 209 did you read the label closely? Apparently Hodgdon has not been immune to our great and wonderful economy and has taken the path which many other companies recently have or plan to take....SHRINKFLATION!!! :eek:

Yes you remember that last bottle of Blackhorn 209 which was so full that you wondered how they could fit it all inside? Well wonder no more because that ten ounce bottle has now been reduced to a measly eight ounces. Yes you heard right, Blackhorn 209 is now available in handy lightweight eight ounce bottles. What's two ounces you say? Well 20% less is what that is and twenty dollars more than last year.

I've been shooting Blackhorn 209 since it came out, I even put it to the test when they said it wasn't corrosive and left two dirty rifles in my steamy bathroom for over a month after hunting season just to see. Guess what? It's not as non-corrosive as they said it was, it destroyed both barrels. Ramshot even admitted it to me on the phone saying it wasn't as non-corrosive as they were originally told by the manufacturer. They felt so bad that they sent me three eight pound jugs of powder as compensation for my rusty barrels(2230, MAGPRO and TAC), yet I still continued to shoot the stuff despite the cost increase each year. Yes I thought it was that good.

This last spring I paid $70 a bottle and felt lucky enough to find it. Seriously I don't think I'm the only one here who has felt like a meth-head recently in trying to make a score at all costs but when you start trying to pinch my baggie I'm done with ya.?

I'm kicking the habit once and for all, when my current stash is gone I'm done with it. It seems that the current street price is $60+ a bottle and I've heard of more than one person paying at least $100 for a single 10 ounce jug. So it's $120+ a pound now when we're buying it eight ounces at a time.

I'm going back to the old stuff, 777. Yeah I might lose 100fps and I'll have to go back to running a spit patch through my barrel but I can still get an entire pound for $30-$35. Before Blackhorn 209 came out I was tickled at the velocity jump I got when I switched from Pyrodex Select to 777. So now I'm just going to tell myself that Blackhorn never existed in the first place and that 777 is still the best thing going. ?

I can hear it now "the cost of powder is the cheapest part of the hunt" or "I only need to take 10-20 shots and I'm good for another year" blah blah blah. I also heard recently that gasoline is the cheapest part of the hunt, $5.20 today and rising. Food was one of the cheapest things too but have you bought eggs lately? Lots of cheap crap has sure been adding up this year. I shoot a lot more than 10-20 shots so I go through a lot of powder. Between my kids and I we have five muzzy tags this year so that's a lot of friggin' powder.

Kicking the Blackhorn habit might get me gas to camp and food to eat when I get there.?

P.S.,
I go on my best rants at 2:00am:LOL:

Wow, that is crazy! Never shot 209 but just picked up 777 FFg - 1 Pound - $40 - at a small gun shop in Vermont last week. You going with FFFg or FFg? I ran 90 Grains of FFFg in a Thompson Center for a couple years, it burns hot! Feels equivalent to three pellets. FFg is obviously there recommended powder for Smoke Poles.

And, great rant!

I have used both. Just use a little less if you use fffg. It’s exactly the same powder. Just finer grain size on the fffg

With all of the powders, I fill a volume measure up, tap it twice, and cut it off. Just be consistent with what you do.

Last edited:
Hey Bob!

A Few Months Back I Got Bent Over for 75.00 a KEG!

But At Least Mine Were The LARGE KEGS!:D:D:D

And What Do Americans Do?

Bend Over & Take It Like On Everything else in This Country!

This Brandon JOKER Has Done None of Us Any Favors!

I Don't Even Watch TV But If You Do The NEWS Media Running Their F'N Mouths on a Different Shortage Item Every Night & Morning!

The World We Live in is FUBAR!

It's Beyond Belief what is Happening So Quickly!

Don't get too excited.

I'm sure that box of 50 777 pellets will be a box of 36 before long.

But, on the flip side, I saw a box of 300wsm at Smith and Edwards the other day. I don't shoot that, but I thought about buying it for a collectors item

Bob: That’s an interesting take. I’ve spent the last week cleaning out my hunting room as I’m going to be renting it out soon. I found a half bottle of Blackhorn powder. Since it’s impossible to find, looks like I’ll do as you are doing.

Oh well. I once said, at times whatever happens, happens and there is really nothing you can do about it.

I was then told by by someone on MM that was absurd. Appatently not...

I ordered from Midsouth Shooters the other day. Order went through but I have seen any email notifications yet. Has me a little worried!

I ordered from Midsouth Shooters the other day. Order went through but I have seen any email notifications yet. Has me a little worried!
They’re backed up on shipping. I wouldn’t worry just yet. Seems like it always takes them 6-7 days to ship my orders.

Last edited:
Just received a confirmation on mine as well. But it was because my card was declined (I recently changed my “billing address” and hadn’t changed it at Midsouth). Because of the reduction in amount, it did give me pause, and I did consider cancelling my order. But went ahead with it ?

Wow, that is crazy! Never shot 209 but just picked up 777 FFg - 1 Pound - $40 - at a small gun shop in Vermont last week. You going with FFFg or FFg? I ran 90 Grains of FFFg in a Thompson Center for a couple years, it burns hot! Feels equivalent to three pellets. FFg is obviously there recommended powder for Smoke Poles.

And, great rant!
I've shot both but it's been so long ago that I have different guns though. I will start with 777, I think it's a little more consistent because it's a denser charge when seated.

Now for going back to non-magnum 209 primers. I still have a bunch but I don't think I took many shooting notes that long ago.

I've shot both but it's been so long ago that I have different guns though. I will start with 777, I think it's a little more consistent because it's a denser charge when seated.

Now for going back to non-magnum 209 primers. I still have a bunch but I don't think I took many shooting notes that long ago.
I just bought an entire package of Fed 209A primers on Gunbroker and they arrived today. They're not giving them away anymore!! $200/1k.

2022-06-23 14.36.13.jpg

Last edited:
Well this is interesting! The 8oz cans of Blackhorn I just received from Midsouth are lot 41 and 10 oz bottles! The bottles weigh 12.4 oz just like my other lot 41 bottles. So “shrinkflation” may be coming but it ain’t here just yet. Go figure.

2C80CE40-66B4-4CF8-9782-5AF155FAC539.jpeg
6113DD19-227B-4DF4-9C4C-8316605166E2.jpeg

it wouldn’t surprise me if diablo does have 41 bottles of lot 41 Blackhorn. That guy is seriously into Muzzleloading!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom