Blackhorn #209 vs Tripple 7

Elkextreme1

I’ve been using BH 209 for years, unable to find any. Thinking about using Tripple 7. What difference should I see between the two? Can I still use CCI 209 primers?
thanks in advance.

I’m no expert on anything but I’ve shot Triple 7 for many many years , I’ve used federal 209s , CCI 209s , and Winchester 209s and haven’t noticed a difference. I’m picky on accuracy and shoot loose powder charges but the primer has never seemed to make a difference.

The triple 7 primers seem to have a slower ignition than the other hotter primers designed for other purposes. With the triple 7 pellets I never noticed a difference on any primers that I used. But if I used the triple 7 primers on BH209, they would hang fire 3/4 times. I know that’s not your question, but might be helpful at some point down the road.

Western powder was bought out by Hodgdon. They haven't been shipping any Blackhorn 209 for several months. Should begin shipping again at the end of this month. deerkiller is right, you need a hot primer for 209. 777 not as hard to ignite.

I’ve been using BH 209 for years, unable to find any. Thinking about using Tripple 7. What difference should I see between the two? Can I still use CCI 209 primers?
thanks in advance.
Where are you located (generally)?
I saw some in a shop locally a couple days ago.

Zeke

777 is accurate and easy to clean with water based cleaners

That said, do a search for “777 crud ring”. If you use standard or magnum 209 primers for 777 it will cause fouling to build up faster and cause a ring of buildup where the bullet sits. You will have to clean between every shot and sometimes the fouling is so bad your cleaning rod can get stuck. I have had to get pliers to free it. That can be countered by making very short and fast strokes when you start getting resistance

They make primers specifically for 777 that are reduced in power: Triple 7 primers is one brand. Kleanbore is another.

Never had any complaint except for the crud ring when i shot 777. I also love the fact that you can load shot after shot of BH 209 and not have to clean between shots. Also, you should clean 777 immediately after each shooting session. It is more corrosive than BH

I use 777 pellets. I've used the 777 and Winchester primers and have never had any issues. Can't speak for the BH209.

I'm peculiar about my ML cleanliness though. It gets a thorough cleaning after every range session - 4-8 shots. And after every ML season - maybe 0-2 shots, plus the weather. The 777 cleans easily with water based solvents.

I Wouldn't Switch from BH 209 for any reason!

Unless it came down to No Other Choice!

The Sad part is:

They've JACKED it from 26.99 a Jar!

To 46.99 a Jar here locally!

If I Was Smart!

I'd Buy the Last few Cans of it & Sell them on the MM Classifieds for 99.00 a can!:D

(((RAZZIN OF COURSE!)))

I've been Toying With SmokePoles Since My first HAWKENS!

I Won't Change From BH 209 until something better is Available!

Started at $29.99 here and now it's $42.99 but no where to be found. That's ok. I have 3 canisters. I still have my Hawken in my safe. Killed a hand full of deer back in the day. Great shooting gun and still in excellent condition.

Since Hodgdon bought them last fall, the overhead from the purchase has to be paid off is my guess or retailers are just squeezing us there too....:whistle::eek:

I just went into Sportsman’s Warehouse in Reno and they had about 10 bottles of Blackhorn for 40.99 each so I bought two of them.
they had lots of triple seven also .

Almost at the end of my last jug. No one within a hundred miles seems to have it. I saw two at the IF Cabelas for $49.99 so got them. That's ridiculous, but I needed it for Spring bear season.

Same here... I can’t locate any Blackhorn in Vegas or anywhere online that will ship.

My son picked up the last couple containers of Blackhorn 209 that the Sportman's in Moses Lake WA had this morning @ $41.00 each.

That being said, If I were to use Triple 7, this is my procedure.
Make sure the bore is clean and no oil in it before loading the gun. Load and shoot round 1. Then use a patch on a jag slightly moistened with regular Windex and swab the bore using both side of the patch by flipping it after the first run down and back up the bore. Then follow with a dry patch down and up once then turn the patch over and down and up again to dry the bore. Now I'm ready to load the next charge and bullet. This keeps the crud ring at least manageable through a session of shooting for me.

I just went into Sportsman’s Warehouse in Reno and they had about 10 bottles of Blackhorn for 40.99 each so I bought two of them.
they had lots of triple seven also .
I managed to get 2 bottles at my local Sportsman’s this morning. I can stop stressing now. Lol

I managed to get 2 bottles at my local Sportsman’s this morning. I can stop stressing now. Lol
Good deal glad to hear it!
I heard Hodgdon bought out the company that makes Blackhorn.
Hopefully they can get to producing more powders and get it out to the stores soon.

Thanks!
Yep I heard that also. I hope they don’t mess with the process at all. It would be a shame if they tried to put their own spin on it.

Once you go with bh209 you can’t go back!! Readily available locally for me so I picked up 2 lbs since i should have a Utah muzzleloader tag this year.

777 just does not cut it in my custom .45 (more than half’s my range and adds a lot of fouling).

Just an FYI in case anyone doesn’t know. Those containers of Blackhorn you buy at the store only have 10 ounces of powder in them.
I think I heard once that they do make a larger container but I haven’t seen it? Anyone else seen Blackhorn in containers larger than 10 ounce?

Only seen the 10 oz. size. It's a rip, but it is good powder to shoot, if your state allows it.

yep it's a five pounder. Last year I did the math on how much each charge cost. At $45 a bottle a 130 grain charge was $1.35 if I recall correctly. It's not cheap but there is no other powder that comes close to it.

I got crazy lucky with BH209. I found a super sale at Walmart when they started to get out of the muzzleloader/firearm business. I picked up 5 bottles of BH209 for $9.99 a piece. I am down to a couple bottles left. I am sure the next couple I buy will simply even out the cost over the years.

Elkextreme, forget the 777 and order some BH209 from Cabelas or Bass Pro right now if you haven’t already found more.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom