Blacktail Fail

Hunt4more

Very Active Member
4629image.jpg

I discovered this buck yesterday afternoon and quickly killed the plans with the wifey for the evening. He was bedded on top of a knoll with a couple smaller bucks. I decided to loop down the canyon and sneak up the backside of the knoll in anticipation of slipping in with an arrow. As I approached the knoll, I wasn?t sure how close I was to the bucks until I seen a dink looking down from atop, starring right at me. I froze for seemed like an hour stare down with the juvenile fork that was about to blow the deal. A long 10 minutes later, he slowly fed off and bigger 2x3 right behind him. I look through the glass to my right and picked out the top of the 4x4?s horns through the glass. The GIANT buck was still bedded and only 17 yards from me! The wind was blowing up the hill just to the right of the bucks. I knew they hadn't winded me yet so I held tight waiting for the brute to stand. After an exhausting 10 minutes of holding still my back leg started to shake uncontrollably from the position I was holding at. I slowly crouched down, rested my leg, then stood?. When I eased up, I couldn't believe what I seen. The big buck was standing, looking straight down at me, I was pinned!... I slowly started pulling back and?.. adios!... The wind gave me up as it all too often does! The suicidal thoughts that ran through my head on the long walk back to the truck were overly abundant?. I should have gone for the ?rock chuck? over the buck, I should have put an arrow in his ball.. ?. Booze last night did supply minor relief?

Nice write up. Sounds like bow hunting. Highest of highs to the lowest of lows. Keep after them. Persistence kills. Hope to see a pic soon.

I've been there many times in the past. I still have nightmares. Good to hear I'm not the only one.:)

Thanks for bringing us along.

Eel

Good read! It ain't all about the kill or it wouldn't be the fun and excitement that it is when it does all come together.

When younger, it would take pages and pages here to describe all the blown stalks and missed shots with my Bow. I love the Muleys but the Blacktails are my foundation.

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom